How often do you buy green bottles? Ever not buy a beer because of a green bottle?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RochefortChris, Dec 27, 2012.

1. I'm glad Pilsner Urquell is readily available in tall cans here otherwise I'd rarely drink it. I've had bottles go skunky on me.

2. The Kasteel and Chouffe beers I had were on tap and they tasted like wet cardboard but the smell was just bland and the beer I had from Dupont (and one from Chouffe) were in green bottles and smelled skunky but the taste was just bland. Because you taste wet cardboard and (mostly) smell skunk, correct? Both are symptoms of beer sitting too long which is what I think was the case with the kegs. I've also had lightstruck beers from Innis & Gunn because they use clear glass and it was the same thing: skunk smell, bland taste.

3. you're confusing me even further. o_O skunkiness is totally different from wet cardboard and caused by totally different processes. both can occur in young beers, although skunkiness much more common because it can happen almost instantaneously. also keep in mind that taste and smell are linked, and most of what we perceive as "taste" is more accurately described as "flavor", which is a combination of taste and smell.

4. for the past 4 - 6 months, urquell has been sold in enclosed cardboard sixers.

5. Yes, like I said, skunk is mainly a smell and wet cardboard is a taste. Skunkiness can happen instantaneously but, since the green bottles only partially protect beer from sunlight, I usually deduce that the reason the Dupont beers can sometimes be skunky is from sitting on the shelf too long. And kegs (especially domestic) have an expiration date as well because the beer's unpasteurized and will eventually spoil, although will admittedly stay fresh in a keg for quite some time. But apparently, when beer spoils due to non-pasteurizaton, there's supposed to be a sour taste, not wet cardboard. So I'm still scratching my head. Supposedly, most import keg beer is pasteurized but, if those Kasteel and Chouffe beers I had on tap were supposed to taste the way they tasted, that stuff is unpleasant and bland.

6. The only green bottle beer I buy is Saison Dupont. I haven't had a bad one yet, although I know it can be Russian roulette with that brew.

7. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Just be thankful you can get it at all.

mintjellie likes this.
  8. green bottles don't protect from sunlight by any discernible amount. it is functionally nearly equivalent to clear glass. green bottles of dupont, even with indoor lighting, can skunk within a day. 24 hours is not "sitting on the shelf too long" by any practical measure.

perhaps your bad experiences of keg versions could also be dirty tap lines?

9. Yes, it's something like 10% protection with clear glass, 20% protection with green glass, 80-90% protection with brown glass. Such a shame that some breweries still insist on using green glass, or even clear glass. The places I had the Kasteel and Chouffe were both legitimate beer bars (I won't name names or locations) so I hope it wasn't due to dirty tap lines.

10. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I buy Cantillon and bought a Hommel Ale yesterday. I tend to stay away from beer in green bottles, but I havent had a problem with those beers yet