1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How often do you buy stuff you've never had off the shelf

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Feb 9, 2013.

1. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (780) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

Im at a point know where 90% of the time when I'm shopping I get at least 1 bottle I've never tried before. It's easy when new breweries are coming in but usually it's a dumb bud product or an import.
  2. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

Lately I've been trying to make it a habit of buying something new everytime I make a beer run. My local shop almost always has something different coming in.
    Blueribbon666 and djrn2 like this.
  3. Every time I go to the liquor store I buy something new. There's so much new beer to try! Ever since I started buying craft beer I've only bought like 4 beers more than once: Yuengling, Left Hand Milk Stout, and SA Boston Lager, and Winter Lager.
  4. I'm with you, I get a new beer everytime I go beer shopping. There are just too many great beers to choose from to drink the same thing all the time.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

As a ticker this is pretty much standard operating procedure.
    luwak, YogiBeer, rolltide8425 and 3 others like this.
  6. scootsmal

scootsmal Savant (250) New York Aug 15, 2012

Every trip i get at least a sixer of something new.
  7. If I have the option of building a six-pack of singles, then it's 6 new beers. If I have to buy a full six-pack then 90% of the time it's something that I know I like.
    Kerrie likes this.
  8. I usually will try several brews at one of the local pubs with a large tap selection and they rotate the craft beers a lot. When that doesn't happen, I use the apps on my phone to check reviews (when I know what style I want).
  9. When I buy new beer its usually something I atleast know something about from reading up on it. Not too often do I grab a completely random beer unless it really seems interesting to me.

Now, ask me this about 4-5 years ago and I'd have told you I grabbed anything new I could find on the shelves!
  10. I always buy something new. Of course there are some staples that you get more often than not but there is too many new things. Especially with growler fills.
  11. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I live in a small town and the market does not support the variety of beers found in a major metro area. One local retailer has a mix-6 option that applies to New Glarus, Central Waters, and a few random products. If something new is available as a mix-6 option, I'm likely to try it. If it isn't, I'm probably only trying it when I get some buzz about it or if I just have a good vibe about trying it (e.g., it's from a brewer that has built some cred with me, it's from a relatively small local brewery, etc.), or it is enticingly priced .
  12. 95% of the beers I buy are beers I've never had.
  13. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (365) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

2 years ago it would have been almost all new. now it's about half of my monthly 50 or so 12oz bottles haul. All first time purchases are singles. Thanks to BA, I can do some obsessive prep work before laying down the $$$.
  14. BeastLU

BeastLU Savant (485) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Always on the look out but not compelled to get new stuff every time.
  15. Every single time I buy beer.
  16. I rarely buy the same beer twice. So about 99.9% of the time I get something I've never had.
    AmitC likes this.
  17. I'm lucky enough that the bottle shop next to me has a loose refrigerated 12oz section, I usually pick up 4-6 beers from there every time I go in. It really helps to ensure I give all breweries and styles a chance and helps to broaden my beer palate.
  18. I buy 2-3 new beers each week. With the explosion of seasonals these days, I'll never, ever get to try everything.
  19. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

I used to buy something new every time but there's so much average beer on the shelves these days that I tend to stick to beer I know and love. Most new stuff I try is either from a local brewery visit or I'm just curious to see what the hype is all about.
  20. ucfalum08

ucfalum08 Aficionado (180) Florida Jan 20, 2013

l usually buy a few 4/6 packs at a time and at least 1 is usually something new. I like what I like but all love trying new things.
    ESeab likes this.
  21. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Often, very often. I'd say 3-5 times a week. But to say I'll never buy the same beer twice would mean I can only get my favorite beer once? Screw that.

It's also very easy for me to try what I want because I work in a store where I am in charge of the mix-a-six. This makes it easy on the wallet because if I want to try something I just put 5 over on the shelf and drink my lone soldier, most the time I like it. Perks baby, perks ;)
  22. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

Constantly. Today I bought four different beers, none of which I've had. Three were limited releases from breweries I already know I like and the fourth was a coffee variety of a stout I've had, so none of it was random. But a typical example. If my wife wasn't bringing stuff back with her from Florida, I would have added a couple six-packs of things I've had before. So it's not like I don't ever buy things more than once.
  23. I usually try to go 50-50 with new and favorites.
  24. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (360) New York Jul 16, 2011

drinking new beers = why craft beers are so much fun
    VncentLIFE likes this.
  25. This....same thing for me. When I go to the store I almost never buy something I've already had.
  26. Ill almost always buy a local micro brewery on the shelf without question. Especially if im out of town. I live in NC, but Im originally from OH. Whenever Im home, I just grab whatever local brewery's beer I havent had. Usually I end up with a huge case of stuff from Indigo Imp, Fat Heads, Brew Kettle, Rock Mill, and Lagerheads.

Here in NC, Ill always grab a new local shelf beer from Highland, Foothills, Duck Rabbit, LoneRider, NoDa, and any other NC brewery (but no Red Oak, Ive been let down by them too many times). Shit Ive bought every single new idea from Bull City Burger and Fullsteam in the past 18 months theyve released (aside from BCBB Dry Stout for some reason).

Whenever people go on vacation and ask what I want, I ask for hyper local stuff.

Ill always give local breweries a shot.
  27. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

When I visit my singles shop, I try to always get all new things, unless I can't come up with 6 that interest me, in which case I get some favorites as filler. When I go for 6-packs, though, it's usually something I know I like unless it's a style I'm almost guaranteed to like, and/or cheap.
  28. 80% of the time I will get a brew I've never had. The other 20% are purchases of favorites.