1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How often do you drink beer with breakfast?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hallandoates, Apr 5, 2013.

1. I have never done this but wish I could. Problem is, I can't go to work after drinking beer and my wife would look at me very strangely if I cracked open a FBS to pair with my yogurt parfait on Saturday or Sunday. But I see a lot of people on here talking about drinking beer in the morning and it makes me wonder how common this is among BA's. Not to mention a certain founder of a certain website devoted to a certain beverage that seems to do this almost daily.

Discuss...

2. I don't drink beer for breakfast during the work week, but on weekends I may enjoy a good Founders Breakfast Stout while I read the paper & watch The Weather Channel.

kirkse and Willbfun like this.
  3. Weekend morning routine: Wake up, piss excellence, consume while cooking bacon and eggs.

[​IMG]

4. To each his own but drinking beer for me is an evening activity to relax. If I drank in the morning it would cause me to be unproductive during the day.

Holidays & Brunches are an exception though.

5. This is me as well...Trust me...I would love to find a way to incorporate it in a way that made sense, I just don't see it happening.

6. I went to the Beerunch at the Cambridge Brewing Company a few times. That's the closest I get to beer with breakfast.

7. lookrider

lookrider Savant (410) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

I did it one time. My fiancee and I were in Manhattan for a long weekend and slept in. When we got up, she agreed to find a local beer bar for a quick beer before the days activities (walk through Central Park, shopping, the Met., dinner). I asked at the desk if there was a little neighborhood beer bar and the young woman told me where there was a nice one just a few blocks away. I think it was 106th and Columbus and I don't remember the name. We got there at 11:00 AM just as they opened and were the only ones there. Sat right at the big window that rolled open so we were right next to the sidewalk with the early sun shining on us. I ordered a Delirium Tremens draught and a large order of onion rings to share. My fiancee always tastes my beer but seldom likes it. I think that DT was the best draught I've ever had. She started drinking it and I had to order another so she could finish mine. Fantastic onion rings. One of the most enjoyable breakfasts I've ever had - DT on tap and killer onion rings. It started our day off right.

8. Weekends. Nothing like a good stout while cooking breakfast. BCBCS growler this weekend.

9. Usually only on weekends and now I can't fry a pound of bacon without a beer.

Scrapss, cappy201 and ufmj like this.
  10. The only thing I want at breakfast is coffee...and A LOT of it.

11. polishkaz

polishkaz Savant (455) Connecticut May 30, 2011

Funny that I thought about posting something similar today. I've been working third shift and coming home and having a beer. Does that count? I'm eating steel cut oats and having a beer before 10am

Mattyb79, kemoarps and fmccormi like this.
  12. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Not often (and never on a work day or anything) but I'll do it from time to time.

13. kkrez

kkrez Savant (330) Colorado Dec 7, 2008

Can't drink all day if your don't start in the morning

Scrapss, kirkse, runpmc007 and 11 others like this.
  14. I wake up at about 12:30PM on the average day. "Breakfast" is a relative term...

15. I don't drink before noon most ever. Honestly, the only thing that I would want would be a big, coffee imperial stout, but then I'd want a nap.

Unless I'm travelling. Then it's perfect.

16. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

When I was in college on Football game days (after I quit playing my freshman year), I don't think I drank anything but Beer and Water (GO Gators)

And just recently I had beer at 7am at Hunahpu's day, and at Foothills for the SC release we had a few pints of BA peoples porter at about 830 am. Both days it was glorious.

semaj and ufmj like this.
  17. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Beer with breakfast....no. Beer for breakfast....... yes once in a while, mostly after Rob and Matt put together a tasting. ;)

dachshunddude86 and fx20736 like this.
  18. BigBarley

BigBarley Savant (330) Texas Aug 5, 2011

I work overnight and have a fairly high tolerance for alcohol. So as long as I'll be sleeping again before work, I will drink with breakfast. Luckily, my breakfast takes place after work, where most people would have dinner, so it's not really the same.

kemoarps likes this.
  19. I don't do it on the reg but if I am in the mood for a beer I'll drink one in the AM, schedule permitting. I think you are seeing folks who work the third shift and get home at 7:00AM have a beer or three and pass out and confusing them with average folks having beer for breakfast.

kemoarps likes this.
  20. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

Once a year, on Christmas morning. Other than that, only real times I will crack a beer before noon is on the golf course.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  21. Cool story, but not sure when the OP asked about breakfast they were referring to 11:00 am.

22. I only do it with a weekend brunch, vacation, or family holiday things. Situations where I probably have no responsibilities later. But beer will make me sleepy later or give me a headache so i'm not opening an imperial stout for breakfast. Seems excessive.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  23. My long lost brother!!!

Scrapss and SmoothHoosier like this.
  24. FYI - a meal at 11:00 a.m. is considered brunch in Manhattan.

25. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

When judging at homebrew competitions. Rarely at other times.

26. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Never. Uppers before downers.

I have taken up a glass of kombucha every morning which has a minute amount of alcohol, but a ton of caffeine.

27. I've only done it once, but it was after doing an all-nighter writing an archaeology essay. I made bacon and eggs and had a bottle of Orkney Dark Island, and it was amazing. Maybe because I was delirious from lack off sleep and the awesome feeling of finishing my last essay, but damn. Definitely one of those magical moments I wish I could recreate.

Scrapss likes this.
  28. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Never.

29. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Pretty much never. Being that I have a somewhat sensitive digestive tract, if beer is the first thing I have in the morning, regardless of if I have food or not with it, it will upset my stomach like no other

30. kodt

kodt Advocate (525) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

Only on Dark Lord Day

31. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

I did a new beer every morning 35 days in a row twice. Each made with cream/milk, maple, Coffee or Oats and or containing the word breakfast in the title. The only way I could have the same beer twice was if it was a different vintage. Probably gonna start the 3rd month in the next couple weeks. Good way to clean out the closet and make myself drink all the stuff I've been to stingy to open, and have some pretty awesome beers.

32. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

Never. I don't like stouts/porters much. I very rarely drink prior to 3pm.

33. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Every Sat during football season. Pretty much pop the first top at around 9:30. Right after I get done slaying some trout and redfish.

Outside of then, I only drink in the early am on long fishing trips.

But, never while cooking eggs and bacon.. wtf?

TrojanRB likes this.
  34. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

I recently went on a trip to boston for a special occasion, stayed in a swanky hotel and ordered room service breaskfast for the first time in my life. I brought a few beers with me and one of them happened to be founders breakfast stout. I must say that it was quite a great berakfast and I would definitely do it again.

~Z

35. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (700) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

On average, twice a year. I usually drinking from the get go on Saturdays of our annual fishing and camping trips we take each year.

seakayak likes this.
  36. Every time a coffee stout sneaks into a haul. I don't like them at night. Or if there's a snow day.

I don't go in for any of those sissy breakfasts at the same time though. Steak and eggs, all the way.

Scrapss likes this.
  37. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

With breakfast not very often. As breakfast, tailgating for events early in the morning, yes.

During football season usually crack my first right at noon every Sunday. Same goes for brewing, if we're brewing early, we're drinking early.

hallandoates and Greenplastic615 like this.
  38. Directly with breakfast? Basically never, unless breakfast is a hot dog and a sierra nevada torpedo on the golf course at 11am. :)

snohojimbo and hallandoates like this.
  39. dianimal

dianimal Advocate (530) California Apr 18, 2012

I have never, but I'm not opposed to it!!

PaleZombie likes this.
  40. Oh yeah, during tailgating season or St. Patrick's Day...we all drink beer for breakfast :D

Zbyler likes this.