1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How often do you get drunk?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeevo, Dec 15, 2012.

1. jeevo

jeevo Savant (275) Pennsylvania Nov 1, 2012

This is a serious question. Obviously, we are all fans of alcohol, and drink it on a pretty consistent basis. A lot of the stuff we sip on is much more potent than the BMC that the masses consume. I'm interested to see what the drinking habits are with everyone, and how often people here get drunk. Do you save it for special occasions (holiday parties, birthdays, New Year's, etc.)? Or do you indulge every weekend?

2. I just...don't...When i was younger I partied more than I would like to admit...I think I kinda just got my fill of it then. Back then, it was all about drunkest fastest. Now, I would rather drink a small amount and actually enjoy it...and remember it.

3. I don't get drunk per say, but I do enjoy at least 1-2 beers a couple nights a week. Sometimes I have a few more than I intended and do end up getting drunk, but that happens minimally. I only really drink heavily on weekends. Not every weekend though

cmannes and ABisonEgo like this.
  4. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

Every time I set out to try and get drunk and have a good time I usually end up getting bored and go to bed after 4 or 5.

Stupid high tolerance, Taking forever to get drunk.

5. Actually drunk (beyond buzzed) maybe a couple times a month. All of which are social occasions.

Durb777 likes this.
  6. I will get drunk on a friday or saturday accidently but that is only because I have so many awesome beers lined up I just want to get to them all. But I hate hangovers, so I really try to not get drunk... But if it happens I still enjoy it for what it is and have a little fun.

Lantern likes this.
  7. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Depends how many days off I get per week.

8. I don't like to get drunk and generally I try to avoid getting buzzed. However, on birthdays, beerfests and other special occasions I indulge not for the sake of getting drunk, even though I know I'm going to, but for the fact I get to drink a lot of good beer at once.

nanobrew, Lantern, beerguru15 and 3 others like this.
  9. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (480) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I've never been drunk. Don't know what it feels like. And I've never lied, either.

10. jkane101

jkane101 Savant (460) New Jersey Sep 22, 2007

Define drunk

11. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Never. Hate it. Really hate it! A simple rule for me: Always, usually, sometimes, never! Always have one, usually have two, sometimes have three and never have four in a day! Keeps the creditors at bay too.

JimKal, bozodogbreath, bld81 and 8 others like this.
  12. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Probably get drunk once a week and I catch a buzz more often than that. With alot of these beers it's hard not to catch a buzz after 1 or 2. I don't really drink for the purpose of getting drunk anymore, except for special occasions. It's more of a happy byproduct of having alot of good beers to drink.

VaTechPhilly, WoodburyMN and cavedave like this.
  13. Mcdonalds tastes good

14. Every "tasting" I've ever been to has resulted in a lot of drunken people (myself included)...owing in all probability to the high ABVs and massive numbers of bottles being opened. I get drunk much less frequently when I go to a pub or a beer garden drinking my usual go-to beers (the most recent exception being drinking 4 liters at the Augustinerkeller in Munich while watching the World Cup...ouch).

fishtremble, AmitC and BruceBruce like this.
  15. yea there are times when 5 beers does the trick and other times i am fine after 8 or 9...that being said I have more then 1 or 2, 2-3 times a week.

Lantern likes this.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Sitting in front of the porcelain god, waiting to spew, is something I gave up a long time ago. My apologies for the graphic nature of my reply. Oh, and that spinning bed...only cure was to sleep on the floor.

17. cneville

cneville Initiate (0) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

Well then I'm drunk right now

18. jkane101

jkane101 Savant (460) New Jersey Sep 22, 2007

bitterbill - if that s the type of drunk the OP is referring to then I'm with you... Gave that up many many years ago

19. reval

reval Disciple (65) New York Apr 13, 2011

I do not deliberately drink to get drunk. I drink to have great beers and if a nice buzz comes along with it then that's a nice bonus. Back to the original question. I get drunk usually during special events/occasions where there is good beer. There is always a big quantity of beers some with high abvs and its easy to loose track.

Bugs318 likes this.
  20. I don't get drunk. I get awesome! So to answer the question I get awesome 2-3 times a week.

21. Love this thread! Let's think about this. Do I work in a beer store as the buyer? Yes. Do I own a kegerator? Yes. Do I love the way the beers I buy taste? Yes.
    I don't call it drinking, I call it studying. And in that case I am really smart.

22. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Almost never. I can think of three occasions in the last 12 to 18 months, in which I actually got legitimately drunk, including going out for my birthday. Didn't even get drunk at my sister's wedding, even though the gf was basically trying to get me drunk.

There are lots of times when I'd like to drink more than one or two, but I don't like getting sloppy or the feeling the next day. Hell, I don't like the next-day feeling of having had three or more. It's not socially or economically feasible for me, and I try to be very health-conscious so it just never happens and I'm 100% okay with it.

Lantern and mtalley999 like this.
  23. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

I am a mix between a binge drinker and craft beer drinker. I mostly get drunk 2 days a week, sometimes more.

Up until three years ago, I was a binge drinker who wasn't into craft beer. Even after I got into craft, I still abused the hell out of it. For example: One night I drank two 750s of Piraat, (10.5abv) a six pack of Moretti La Rossa (7.2 abv) and a bomber of Stone Black IPA (8.7abv) I'm not a big guy nor was my tolerance anything special. I passed out whilst sitting on the toilet that night, after cursing out some woman for no reason.

I don't drink as much as I used to. However, every time I drink, I intend to get drunk or buzzed. I just like to really enjoy what I'm drinking. You can enjoy what you drink when you're drunk, despite what some say. I guess I never completely got out of my binging ways.

I find it very hard to believe that people who are so into beer almost never get drunk or buzzed. But Im not judging of course.

24. Every couple weekends. Usually I drink really slow so that I don't have to deal with being drunk and then hungover. Maybe once a month or so I end up drunk, and maybe once or twice a year I end up hung over.

25. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

I haven't been drunk for hours.....

26. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (865) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Buzz every once in a while. Never drunk.

Jimjohson and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  27. I'm drunk on Tuesdays

28. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I like a buzz, hate to get drunk, you feel like shit the next day. I like a nice martini after work, and a beer or two, I usually add in something really lite like Ultra or Miller Lite, and maybe a good brew every other day or so.

29. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Maybe 3-4 times a year? ​

30. drevim

drevim Aficionado (190) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

It has alot to do with whether my wife likes the beer I open. If I open several in a setting (5-7) and she likes them, then I only drink half as much as I could have. The night we discovered she didn't like BCBS and a couple of other higher ABVs, then yes.

AnotherImperial and tobin like this.
  31. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (480) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I don't "hurl" anymore either Bill. Hopefully, those days are but a distant memory of an ignorant youthful past. I do quite like the buzz provided by a nice IPA or Stout these days, tho.

jkane101 and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  32. MikeyCannon

MikeyCannon Zealot (95) Maryland Mar 4, 2012

I drink 2,3 or 4 everyday. I catch a good buzz maybe 1 Saturday a month downing some good beers with my neighbor.

Lantern likes this.
  33. Drunk doesn't = throwing up. Sounds like people's opinions of "buzzed" are different than reality.

34. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Agreed. I throw up from alcohol once a year really. Even if I take all the proper precautions. Sometimes alcohol just doesn't agree with me. Or if I have more than 3 different kinds of liquor in an evening.

JuicesFlowing likes this.
  35. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

probably once a month, and I always regret it

36. BigB415

BigB415 Savant (290) California Aug 24, 2010

I sometimes have a beer during the week but don't get drunk since I work. When the weekend rolls around though it's a different story. When I do go out partying though I rarely drink beer since it takes a lot to get me drunk and it can add up cost wise so I stick with the hard stuff. Now today is my 25th birthday so I got a magnum of Anchor OSA for my party so we'll see how tonight goes.

37. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

As often as you do...+1.

smitherz22 likes this.
  38. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Its hard to define the difference between buzzed and drunk, seems to be different for everyone, but I get buzzed a few times a week. Its hard not to get buzzed when there are so many beers I want to try! Especially since I drink mostly Belgians which many are high in abv.

39. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Define sober

40. Never, really. I'm usually quite content after just 1. I drink pretty slowly, and I like to really savor the beer. Occasionally, I'll drink a bomber by myself--but only if it's one I've just really got a hankerin for. I get somewhat hungover even if I'm just buzzed, so I really just don't mess around with it. Maybe once a year, I'll really just be in the mood to let go of my inhibitions--and I always enjoy it at the time--but come morning, I'm miserable enough to not do it again for another year :)

pschul4 and solargoat like this.