1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How often do you get drunk?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeevo, Dec 15, 2012.

1. I have been on the craft beer scene for about 3 years. I drink approx. 10 beers weekly (I usually buy a sixer and a four pack), and drink them throughout the week. Mostly on the weekends, but on occasion I will drink no more than one after work throughout the week. I haven't been intoxicated in about 8 years. I always like to say, "I experience beer", not drink it.

2. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Initiate (0) Kentucky Oct 25, 2012

I get drunk often. I think a lot more people here do than are admitting it. Like previously stated, "drunk" does not have to mean "throwing up." I almost never throw up. Part of this is due to tolerance, and most of it is due to knowing how to drink. If you know you'll be in a beer-heavy environment that evening, hydrate yourself heavily all day and then heavily after you're done.

AnotherImperial and SalukiAlum like this.
  3. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Champion (800) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

It would be harder to answer how many times I am sober ,

J/K , I am a veteran beer drinker with a high tolerance and can put down quite a few .. When my speech begins to slur I start to slow down..

AnotherImperial likes this.
  4. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

I don't intend to get drunk, but sometimes a two-beer combination consumed in rapid succession will do me in. For example, I have discovered that a Southern Tier Unearthly and a Flying Dog Double Dog Pale Ale will push me over the edge and give me the spins.

5. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Rarely ever. Which isn't enough! I drink a beer about three times a week after work.

6. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (690) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Maybe three times a month on average. I am saying that based off of being legal to drive compared to how I actually feel.

7. Drink Every Day, Usually get Buzzed. DRUNK? Not so often, but a few times a month.

8. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I agree. Many craft beer drinkers (not saying necessarily the people on this site) are former liquor and BMC binge drinkers/party drinkers who somehow stumbled across craft. (like myself) . Very tough to convert from a binge drinker to a drinker who drinks for taste without the affects of alcohol.

But even the ones who didn't get drunk frequently before trying craft, like I mentioned in one of my posts, its hard to imagine that people who are that into high abv beer almost never get drunk.

SalukiAlum and Winston_Smith like this.
  9. Winston_Smith

"Intoxication is for plebeians. Excuse me whilst I adjust my monocle."

10. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

My bday
    Wifes bday
    New Years

I hate being drunk to be honest. I average around 5-7 beers a week but most of those cone in Saturday and sunday.

11. Derranged

Haha.. Let's not judge anyone though. Not everyone feels the need the get drunk like you and I.

12. Winston_Smith

I only do PCP once in a while though.

SammyJaxxxx and madtrixter787 like this.
  13. Even the so called "Session" beers at my local gastropub start at 6% ABV. It's hard not to get a heat on.

14. I got drunk once this year, at a beer fest, my stupidity, way too many good beers, acted like a rookie. I try to never get drunk, once i feel that buzz kicking it, i usually eat something. I think that drinking craft beer is a finer pleasure in life,meant to be enjoyed in moderation. You typically dont see people gathering and chugging down fine wines, or smoking multiple cigars right after each other. Onc you get drunk, your not able to enjoy the everything a fine craft beer has to offer, then you are missing the point, might as well grab some budweiser then.

15. Derranged

I won't get into my former drug use. :eek:

16. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Drunk to me, is when I can feel the effects, but I'm still able to walk, and function and everything..

One might call that... buzzed. Enough not to give a damn. I might do that once a week or so. Hardly ever do I get to the point I'm hungover, or feeling like shit in the morning.. Throwing up all that nasty shit.

17. I don't get drunk, I simply enhance my personality.

18. Derranged

Yea its hard to differentiate drunk and buzzed. Also people might have different ideas about what "drunk" is as you pointed out. Drunk doesn't necessarily mean being completely out of control, breaking things passed out in a pool of your own vomit. There are levels. I get drunk and/or buzzed often, but I don't get completely obliterated every time out.

19. bsp77

bsp77 Savant (490) Minnesota Apr 27, 2008

When you only have one or two beers a day (and that does not mean two Bourbon County bombers), it is very easy to stay sober. Plus I have three little girls, so I can't get drunk.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  20. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

I would say probably once every few weeks! Don't always aim to go there, but it just happens. Many times because of other factors such as how much I've ate, slept, worked, etc. I think many people say they don't because it's a self esteem thing, but I'm not buying it. For example, an event like GABF. It's 4 hours long, with drinking small 2 ounce tasters with beers they may average 7-8% abv at least. It's very difficult for me not to get drunk, EVENTUALLY. Hell I'm like a kid in a candy store there, Black Tuesday, Sexual Chocolate, KBS, all the beers under the sun, you get the point. In college it was more of a once or twice a week. But as someone said earlier too, hard to differentiate being buzzed and/or drunk. Later, I'm off to a taster and it's going to be hard not to get at least my 'buzz' on :)

21. Derranged

That's another thing. You clearly have way more responsibility than I do. Raising children is very demanding.

22. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

I get drunk probably once a month, and that is almost always in a social situation. I get a buzz maybe once a week to 2 weeks. And thats usually if I decide to down a bomber at home and it happens to be a high ABV. Or if I have a 12 oz and one happens to be BCBS- cant help that though :)

23. 3 to 4 times a week that is. If I drink onenight i usually don't drink the following day until I'm sober. Then repeat. If I go 3 days without drinking, and then drink drink again after break...i am an amazing person. Just sayin

madtrixter787 likes this.
  24. 3-4 times a year probably these days.

25. I stay sober usually 1-2 nights per week. Other than that, I pretty much get to at least the illegal limit of driving. Doesn't mean falling over or getting sick or feeling like shit the next day. I call it feeling nice...

Also, I'm painfully quiet and shy especially around anyone I don't know and can't stand it when people point it out, so I tend to have a couple early in the evening during social situations. Call that alcohol abuse if you want...I call it ... I don't know, something else.

26. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

If you mean falling down, throwing up and passing out then not in decades.
    If you mean tipsy, beyond the legal limit and brain is kind of foggy then maybe once a month
    if you mean relaxed and mellow with a mild buzz then every day.

27. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

if there was a lie detector machine in this thread, it would be burning up.

28. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

NHC Club Night is pretty much a given, and sometimes the Thursday of GABF. And maybe when I host the occasional - yearly or so - massive tasting.

cheers--
    --Michael

29. I tend to agree with this. Even if you are only drinking "1-2 beers", if they are the same type of beers I am drinking they are going to have at least some impact on mental state. I tend to like big beers, DIPAs, IS, Barleywines, old ales , etc. One 750mL bomber of a beer with 10%, 12%, even 15% or more is going to have at least some impact on you. I think people just have differentn definitions of the words buzzed and drunk. A 12% bomber, drank over an hour is approximately the equivalent to drinking a 6 pack of standard beer in an hour. Whats that put your BAC at, somewhere in the area of .150? If you have a .150 BAC and feel NOTHING then you have been a heavy drinker for quite some time.

Winston_Smith likes this.
  30. Usually don't get beyond buzzed. Not worth the toll on your body. I'll try to keep buzzed to once a week. Haven't been drinking nearly as much as i would like since i'm kind of broke at the moment. So having a bomber once a week is better than having 2 or 3 a night on my wallet and on my body.

31. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

Lies. All lies....

32. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Have to admit that my tolerance is pretty high these days...once in a while I think, "yeah, i wanna get drunk tonight"...what usually happens is I open a bottle or two from the cellar and decide, well that will do tonight, off to bed or at least sip on an imperial stout for dessert and wind down.

However, if I find myself out at a bar with friends until all hours of the night, sooner or later, I get intoxicated...

33. Optifron

Optifron Aficionado (205) Illinois Aug 17, 2012

Winter ruins this statistic for me. A couple Barleywines/Imperial Stouts/stupid high ABV beers that are all over come winter, and I won't drive, which I guess means drunk. That situation is probably twice a week this time of year. Don't remember the last time I was stumbling/slurring/blackout drunk though.

EDIT: Of course, I could curb this situation by drinking slower, but they're so damn good, I look down and they're gone!

34. I enjoy beers 1-2 times/week.

I usually fall asleep on the couch watching the teevee before getting truly drunk. All I drink is beer. Red wine on occasion, with a good steak, perhaps. No spirits. And if there were no alcohol in beer, I'd happily drink it for the flavors.

Yes, I have more than the Surgeon General recommends when I drink, but, the way I see it, I choose to indulge more for quality of life. Much the way I'll enjoy a cheeseburger a few times a month, even though red meat isn't recommended.

/T

EDIT: I'd also add that I work out 4-5 times/week and eat healthily, except on the weekends. For me, it's about balance.

35. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

I appreciate your candor...and your not feeling the need to rationalize your behavior/choices by calling everyone else liars who may answer differently. That said...I would strongly urge you to work on the feeling that drinking needs to be preceded by the expectation to get drunk or buzzed. If I misread your statements...I apologize.

In addition...just as you have a hard time comprehending how someone into beer regularly might almost never get drunk...I have a hard time comprehending how someone who drinks regularly would not avoid becoming impaired and just enjoy the drink. Again; not judging, as you were not. Just a different mindset, I guess.

My answer: Have not been drunk for over 25 years. I imagine that is longer than some here have lived. With a business, wife, kids, home, investments.....I have long passed that time when inebriation was an option. I'll have 2-3 beers a day and function just fine. I enjoy the hobby for what it is.

Cheers to you!

CA_Infidel2o9 likes this.
  36. xraided81

xraided81 Savant (305) California Jan 9, 2008

I would say once per week, on the weekend unless I'm working that weekend I will indulge on tues at my local watering hole? Does blacking out = getting drunk? I usually black out towards the end of special occoasion drinking nights, I usually don't do/ say anything stupid its just kind of hard keeping everything together after drinking for about 8-12 hours specially after beer fests,
    Ie. AFter Stone Vertical Epic Fest, heading to Lost Abbey and waking up next morning realizing you just bought the
    Lost Abbey ultimate box set for $450, priceless!

37. Im there now. after a tour of the 3 Durham breweries, nothing else is expected. I had 3 beers at Triangle. 2 at Fullsteam, and a flight at Bull City.

herrburgess likes this.
  38. 1 st question I ask myself is, will I be driving. I tend to play it pretty cautious, if out at a dinner two drink max.

Craft beer helped me learn not all drinks are created equal so I do pay attention to abv.

This is a harder question to answer then I thought because Im pretty well mannered and in control even after a fair amount vs some of my friends that have had the same amount yet act more clumsily or have drastic personality changes. Another reason its hard to judge is sitting on the couch watching tv for the night with alot of beers makes it harder to know how much your coordination has been effected then if you were at party weaving in and out of people and talking.

Im sure others have had the experience drinking with the guys byob and your on you second beer and your friend who has had 5 is like come on finnish your beer. And Im just thinking I just had a Midas Touch and am finishing a BCBS im no genius but 5 BL's compared to a MT and BCBS abv wise we are about the same, and this BCBS isnt as easy drinking. I could really care less about keeping up beer count wise anyway but im not really sitting here nursing it.

Winston_Smith likes this.
  39. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

Depends on how often my girlfriend tells me I need to make room in the fridge.