1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How often do you get drunk?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeevo, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Birthday. Weddings. And concerts.
  2. About once a month. I do have a beer a day though.
  3. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

I have to say that at many of the beer tastings I have gone to, I ended up being drunk. This is only due to so many amazing BAs here in Houston willing to share great beer that my ass gladly sips. I don't ever intend for this to happen but it usually does, and hopefully my tolerance will build just a bit so I can make it through and do nothing stupid.
  4. I don't get drunk. I have one beer ever other night of the week. 3-4 beers a week. But like the rest of us on BA, I enjoy great craft beers and sip them and really taste them!
  5. i can sip something heavy like bcbs but for lighter delicious beers like ipas i can't help myself from taking multiple sips really quickly. i need 2 because the first goes by too quick. i'm like "where'd my beer go?"
    CapeCodHopHead and xxbillay like this.
  6. ramseye4

ramseye4 Aficionado (205) Virginia May 14, 2010

EDIT- Sorry, getting used to this new BA.

I used to get drunk 3 or 4 nights a week. Now I might get drunk once every three months. I just..really dont like getting plastered any more. I do, however, still very much enjoy getting a decent buzz going!
  7. jimilayne

jimilayne Aficionado (235) New York Aug 18, 2012

I get drunk...

...whenever Chelsea plays on a Saturday morning
    ....whenever I have more than 2 bombers
    .....whenever Scotch enters the equation
    Ivegotmule and xxbillay like this.
  8. haddon

haddon Savant (285) Kentucky Jul 13, 2009

never. occasionally drink enough to feel a light buzz but rarely go beyond 1-2 beers in a day.
  9. I usually drink with food, so almost never. But occasionally I'll drink something around > 9% on an empty stomach and so on and there I go...
  10. Yeah, everyones definition of "drunk" is different… Me? I probably drink between 4-7 beers three times a week. Two days I'll only have two or three, and another two days are completely dry. I definitely feel a difference the next morning after 7 beers, but it doesn't necessarily effect me negatively. I get DRUNK drunk maybe a couple times a year when I really feel sick the next day.
  11. calcnerd

calcnerd Savant (410) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2009

Rarely ever anymore. If I do, I feel like ass for two days after. I'd rather just have one or two really good beers and go to sleep.
    JrGtr likes this.
  12. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I only get drunk on days that end in "day".
  13. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

Well, I don't get hangovers, so the only thing holding me back is work, my wife, money, kids, sleep. So, like twice a week.
  14. Well that do play at 5:30 tomorrow morning...

Now that I'm out of college (just finished in may) I don't get drunk nearly as much. Especially during senior year, me and my buddies were going out 4+nights a week. But now I really only get drunk once a week, a Friday or Saturday night when ill sit on the couch and watch movies till 3am. Or at a party/sporting event/concert/anywhere I don't have to drive home from. I do enjoy a beer or two though 3 or 4 nighs a week (not counting friday-sunday)
  15. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I enjoy getting drunk. But me getting drunk is on the couch having some beers and watching tv/movies. I'm never stumbling, blackout, or anywhere near throwing up. I guess you could call it a strong buzz. Either way I like it and do it once a week on the weekend...maybe twice if its a good week
    xxbillay likes this.
  16. Rarely. Only on special occasions (wedding, birthday) but typically I will have one beer a night during the week to wind down. Maybe 2-3 on Friday and Saturday.
  17. I usually get drunk every Friday and/ or Saturday night. This weekend has been the exception, I didn't go out either night and just had some craft beers at home. Which means I'll most likely start drinking at about noon tomorrow morning when the Bears V Packers game starts.
  18. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

I don't get drunk. I get fuckin' right. And as far as the proximity of that process...being a virtually single man with no kids....no one can give a sheeeeeyit. So it goes.
    SammyJaxxxx and xxbillay like this.
  19. I feel like a lot of people are straight up lying in this thread. With the amount of 9% plus beers out these days it's hard to not get some kind of buzz if you're a craft drinker unless you've developed some tolerance, are drinking a 6-7% beer or just had a lot of food to eat. Unless you stop at just one beer a night and drink that beer over a hour. In that case everyone here would have a stock piles of beer they haven't tried because they don't drink as often as they buy beer. The average person gets drunk off 5 to 6 beers. Most people are buzzed after 2 to 3 beers. Getting drunk definitely doesn't mean falling on the floor and blacking out. That's straight up close to alcohol poisoning. Anyone that doubts what I'm saying, drink 6 beers and then take a breathalyzer.
    rocdoc1 likes this.
  20. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

I'm drunk now.
    InebriatedJoker and PoopChute69 like this.
  21. I'm working on the end of a case of hoptimum that I have, its kinda beyond its prime so I'm downing the rest of it as quick as I can. On my third of the night right now. I'm on my way to something good.
    Frankinstiener likes this.
  22. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

Or you could do what I did tonight. I finished the second of two 8.5 oz glasses of DFH Bitches Brew (the wife drank the other 8.7 or whatever it was) about 15 minutes ago (just after 11:00). I cracked the bottle about 7:30. So, yes, I had just over a pint of 9.0%ABV beer and didn't get drunk. You can call me a liar if you like, but I know how much I drank.

To answer the original question: Depends on your definition of "drunk." Enough to feel that I've been drinking something: Once every 7-10 days. A good buzz, enough that I shouldn't be driving: 6-8 times a year. Usually when I'm at a beer event or my brother's in town. Or there's a West Ham game on and I don't have anywhere to be that day. Good and drunk: About once or twice a year. Rum is usually involved. I drink a beer after dinner most nights, but I usually nurse them for a good long time, so unless it's 10% or over, I don't usually get much of a buzz.
  23. ldawg87801

ldawg87801 Zealot (85) New Mexico Oct 16, 2010

I drink craft beer 5-6 times a week but usually 1-2 beers. Friday is typically my heavy night of drinking where I indulge in *gulp* all of 3 beers. Sometimes Saturday I'll have 4 but only if I drink in the afternoon and the evening. That said I will exceed those limits on occasion, _maybe_ once a month and drink 4, maybe, maybe maybe 5 beers in an evening. I typically drink strong-ish beers (IPAs for example) but it usually takes me 45-60 minutes to finish a 12oz-er, so even drinking 4 of those I'm only slightly, if at all, 'drunk'. I like to get growler refills but I have to share them with the wife as I don't drink that much in a night.

I'm well into my 30s and it's all about moderation for me now!
  24. Almost never. Back in the day, a couple decades ago, but there is no appeal now.
  25. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Yes. I'm sorry, can u please repeat the question?
    InebriatedJoker likes this.
  26. I abstain 4-5 days per week. But Saturday is my day to relax. I do have a high tolerance though. So I suppose this makes me a binge drinker with a high tolerance. Then on Sunday ill enjoy 5-6 brews before abstaining for the coming week.
  27. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

I get drunk as often as the situation is right for it. Got drunk for the Bama-Georgia game, because we had a bunch of people over here and the vibe was right. Before that it was our Oktoberfest and it may be another month (or day after tomorrow) before I get drunk again.
    Strangely, my wife and I do a lot of beer tourism but I rarely get drunk(even by y standards) when I'm "travelling for beer". Also I may have a beer or 3 in town, but if I want to drink more than that I'll probably be here at my house.
  28. On purpose? Almost never. Accidentally? Let's just say I really enjoy my beers.
    InebriatedJoker likes this.
  29. Almost never ...except those rare times I figure I can tackle a 750 of high abv beer. Last time was Melange #3. I just couldn't help myself, it tasted too damn good!!!
  30. Or you could do what I did tonight. I finished the second of two 8.5 oz glasses of DFH Bitches Brew (the wife drank the other 8.7 or whatever it was) about 15 minutes ago (just after 11:00). I cracked the bottle about 7:30. So, yes, I had just over a pint of 9.0%ABV beer and didn't get drunk. You can call me a liar if you like, but I know how much I drank.

I believe you based on that. That's about 3 drinks over the course of the 3 hours. I doubt anyone would get buzzed off that. However, I'm just saying the majority of people out there don't space out high alcohol beers over a couple hours, only drink one or eat a lot of food. A lot of people lie about their drinking habits. That's understandable but it's pretty lowly to lie in an anonymous internet forum.
  31. That is priceless. Not that it has happened more then once or twice but drunken purchases are always funny. Dropped $200the on northern brewer for supplies a couple years ago. Not the $450the but still a wtf did i do but still reaping the benefits moment. The best though was my roommate freshman year of college. Drunkenly vought a $100good knife and sword set on homeshopping. Showed up a week later. Not really the kind of thing to have in a college dorm but still hilarious... luckily no one got stabbed
  32. That's a nice avy you got there.
  33. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

i love getting a buzz, which i do pretty much fri, sat & sun

get sloppy drunk every few months
  34. I only drink 2, maybe 3 days a week. If I have 1 beer, I'm having 6 or 8 or something like that.
  35. broseidon

broseidon Zealot (85) Ohio Oct 17, 2012

About once a month I'll go out to a bar, though I'll have a beer about 3-5 nights a week after work. When you're actively losing weight drinking really cuts into that, though the bright side is it takes far less to get me buzzed than it used to!
  36. anglagard1

anglagard1 Savant (255) Wisconsin Nov 17, 2010

Sorry, it just made me laugh to see the picture of Charlie Brown with the comment "I get sloppy drunk every few months." No wonder Snoopy hides in his imaginary world.
  37. I hardly ever get drunk. When I do, it is when my friends are having a party, or we are going out to the bars. I do have one to two beers a night, however, simply because I enjoy the taste. Depending on the night, this may stretch to three or four, but I have a pretty high tolerance so this will usually give me a buzz if anything. Of course, this all depends on the beer, and as with most people, bombers count as two.
  38. gibby

gibby Aficionado (230) Pennsylvania Jul 25, 2008

Slightly drunk maybe once or twice a month but buzzed probably once or twice a week. I only get very drunk about once or twice a year and it's usually not intentional. I generally drink 1 to 2 beers a night, sometimes 4 to 6 on the weekend.
  39. To the point where I legally can't drive and would blow over the limit if I was pulled over? 3-4 times a month.

To the point where I'm uncomfortable and actually drunk...maybe 2-3 times a year? If that.
  40. Its all about quality of life.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/104386/cigarettes-all-hidey-lidey-day