1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How often do you get drunk?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeevo, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Samjuan12

Samjuan12 Aficionado (235) Illinois Jun 17, 2012

I consider it a win if I don't drink 1-2 days a week....
    Lantern likes this.
  2. It's a rarity these days. I will enjoy a few beers or a bottle of wine, maybe sip some bourbon or scotch once or twice a week, but I seldom get wasted. I drink for taste, not so much for effect. But when I was new to all this, I just wanted to push my limits and on a couple of occasions that led to disaster.
  3. Twice a day, 3 times a day on weekends
    Lantern, liamt07 and fx20736 like this.
  4. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

At most, once a month for a good bottle share.tasting. But, in all honesty, the occasional bad night at work adds another time or so. So at max....maybe 2-3 times a month. I would much rather sit down and thoroughly taste a good beer. Besides, for what I (most of us) drink, any more is just too expensive...
  5. If the Celtics are really struggling, sometimes there is no cure other than getting drunk. I haven't been shitfaced since the summer, but I do enjoy getting a couple brews racked up into my gullet on the weekends. During the week, I generally won't get drunk, but if I have a relatively easy day upcoming, I'll sometimes crush a bomber of something extra special when I am settling down. Usually I try to stick to one bottle from Jack's Abby on weekdays. Last night I had a Prima Pils, a HopDevil and a Headwaters Pale Ale (all part of a Victory variety 12pak). I may have gotten too drunk had I exchanged the Headwaters for a Golden Monkey... If I am drinking something intense like an imperial something or a tripel, I prefer to complement it with a light, refreshing, drinkable beverage.
  6. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Two nights a week, while playing call of duty with my co workers online or with my wife who loves craft beer!
    Lantern likes this.
  7. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

To allow for what appears to be widely divergent definitions of "drunk":

I pretty much never drink to the point of slurred speech or staggered gait.

I hardly ever end the day in a state of perfect sobriety.
  8. Inebriation sucks.
    Better to be in the zone where you're undoubtedly propelled but in total control with a hightened sense of awareness and mood.
  9. I get drunk about 2-3 times a year, I will drink to the point of catching a good buzz once or twice a month (at beer club functions, homebrew meetings, social gatherings, etc...), aside from that I usually only drink between 1-3 beers daily.
  10. B33R501

B33R501 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania Jan 16, 2012

sorry guys but this is a stupid fucking thread. There have only been a couple times in my life I was not capable of driving, and luckily my then girlfriend, now wife took the keys away. Seriously, define drunk, I just finished a breakfast Port Santas Little Helper, I wouldnt call myself "drunk". Yea I'm not doing anything today or going out but if I had to I'd go shower and get out. Cmon man, we are professional if you're not go do amateur night. I love watching the hordes of amateurs on St Patty's Day, New Years Eve, etc.

Really, this is alcohol. I have no interest in drinking the bomber I just finished in 4 hours. Drink a bourbon county and tell me you don't feel the alcohol. Can you function? I can. If you can't get a designated driver.

Stupid, stupid thread. I just wasted 3 minutes of my time.
    Winston_Smith likes this.
  11. Not as often as I should :p
    Lantern likes this.
  12. Almost never. And when I'm drunk, it's not intentional. I hate feeling drunk.
    Being a little buzzed is often unavoidable, though.
  13. Probably once or twice a year tops. It depends on if my brother in law visits. The last time was at my nieces graduation in Vegas in June when I finished the afternoon with two Chimay Red's and lost track of an hour. I've got some good stuff lined up for the holidays so I might get a wee bit buzzed again.:D
  14. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

A real time perspective of the lengths i take, not to be drunk. I've decided, do to football, today will be a drinking day. I will be drinking; duvel, aventinus, tank 7, 6th glass, double wide, and long strange triple. I hate being drunk, so i've made a system in which i will be splitting it up in 24oz increments, and only after a 24oz session will i put another 24 oz session in the fridge, which will take ATLEAST 2 hours to get to drinking temp. The first session was more than 24oz since it was a 330ml duvel & 500ml aventinus, but after that it's 24oz sessions only, for the rest of the day
  15. CA_Infidel2o9

Also between sessions, i'll be eating and staying hydrated with pure, unfiltered unicorn tears. ;)
    SammyJaxxxx and Winston_Smith like this.
  16. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Well if you only wasted 3 minutes then you didn't actually read the whole thread. But thanks.
  17. Let's remember that 'only having 2', when you consider abv of most of the beers BAs tend to drink, is tantamount to four BMCs. Nothing wrong with that, but the use of the word 'only' in this context smells of self-delusion. It's amazing how much moderation goes on here in a community that involves a ton of - lets face it - binge drinking.
  18. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

And you've wasted the time of others who actually bothered reading this silly rant.
    jeevo and kingofhop like this.
  19. Right, and the countless hours you've spent on this website have been super productive and meaningful. Doubtlessly, your obituary will read, "he spent many of his leasurely hours bravely and thoughtfully plunging the depths of Internet discussions about beer, except for that one stupid thread of course, which was an absolute waste of time and his life's singular regret."
  20. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Probably only truly drunk a few times per year. I've only drank to the point of puking twice since I turned 21--once immediately after I turned 21 and once last year after I defended my thesis. I've been close a few times as well. In terms of moderately buzzed, maybe a couple of times per month depending on what's going on.
  21. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Everyone who drinks beer enjoys the effect of alcohol. If you say you don't your lying just like some guys used to say they bought Playboy for the articles but didn't look at the pictures.

The real question is how much effect do you like? Some like me, like that mellow buzz where I am relaxed and happy but can still get in the car and drive if I have to. Some like to drink until they get silly and can't see straight or think clearly and some like to drink until they pass out. Everyone has a preferred spot somewhere on that continuum.
  22. CA_Infidel2o9

A very moronic statement. Your opinion has been heard and not worth noting. I'm sure it most likely comes from your own insecurities, as you probably do not know +90% of us personally and have no basis or actual facts to support that garbage you choose to spew. You've been a member since May and only 13 post. I recommend keeping it that way, and keeping you ignorant opinions to yourself.

Let's consider that most ppl here have alot of experience drinking these types of beer and have mostly grown somewhat of a tolerance for them. We're not like you & your buddies, playing beer pong with keystone light.
    Brunite likes this.
  23. Every thing I said is factual. The craft beer culture involves a lot of binge drinking, and two high abv beers is not a small amount of alcohol.

Your emotional and retaliatory response suggests someone in the throes of clinical denial.

And jeez, you looked up my stats and everything? I feel so exposed and humiliated. You shouldn't just go and do something like that to a person. It's inhumane.
    Tut likes this.
  24. CA_Infidel2o9

Factual in what way? Your saying it's a fact that the average craft brew is roughly 10%? I think not. Everything else came from your own illusions of what we all do on a daily basis. I can't speak for everyone, but i haven't drank more then 12 beers in one day in years. I'm not sure you really know what binge drinking is but my 16-23 yr old self would show you the definition, and have you crying to your mommy in the process. I have long out grown that and have no need or even want, to binge drink.

My emotional and retaliatory reaction was do to the fact that i have been following this thread since the beginning, and have had to read multiple post like yours and finally decided to say something. Please don't tell your mommy on me.
  25. Gobzilla

Gobzilla Savant (455) California Apr 21, 2010

All the time
  26. JohnFatAss

JohnFatAss Savant (350) New Jersey Jan 22, 2011

I don't see craft beer drinkers as binge drinkers. There are cheaper and more effective ways to get obliterated if that is your goal. That is not to say I do not enjoy the effects of alcohol. I most certainly do.
    So, yes I enjoy a very mellow buzz that comes with drinking two or three beers a few times a week, but I never drink to the point of where I feel I am not in control. Not to mention being hung over sucks.
  27. Barley wines, imperial stouts and DIPAs -three of the most popular styles around here - are typically 8-10%, with BMCs ringing in around 4-5%. Binge drinking is clinically defined as 5 drinks or more. These are indeed facts. You can call stating such as 'moronic', but that doesn't change reality.

If you think beer festivals, tastings or a routine Friday night where several beers of high abv are consumed do not often involve binge drinking, you are deluding yourself. Sure, not all craft beer drinkers binge drink, but a ton of us do. The fact that you think 12 beers is the threshold for binge drinking suggests that you are one of the many BA binge drinkers. I personally think that binge drinking is fine for many people (and not so good for others).

The fact that you respond to someone merely bringing this up with venom and name calling indicates that you are either an alcoholic in vehement denial, or simply have a very short fuse. Either way, I assure you there is help available.

And when you respond to this post with more venom and derision, it will only be further evidence of the problem you have.
    kingofhop likes this.
  28. CA_Infidel2o9

Lol an alcoholic yes, a very short fuse indeed, a binge drinker definitely not. Please don't bore me with some clinical study, that shats retarded and holds no ground. I've also heard if you drink one beer, you should wait an hour to drive, which is ridiculous. I can go on and destroy your last post but this is interrupting my binge drinking and football watching. It's seems i have effected you emotional with my "venom and name calling" lmao, please don't cry, i apologize little one...

You are dismissed.
  29. Your post reminds me of the Dennis Green "The Bears Are Who We Thought They Are" rant.

In other words, I've read it a number of times and it still makes absolutely zero sense.
  30. I would never!! I only drink 4 oz. of something very rare that I've been hoarding for years; but only on friday and saturday night. (Then I dump the rest for fear of catching a buzz)
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  31. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

I don't. My body, mind and glass know when enough is enough.
  32. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I'll give my answer trade style.

ISO: A good time FT: Fri-Sun. Can add on my end to make up the diff.
    thenamestsam likes this.
  33. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Maybe a couple of times a month. Usually I keep it between 1-4 beers.
  34. scud

scud Savant (315) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

Maybe once a month. I don't drink craft beer to get drunk, I simply enjoy the experience of trying out different beers and tastes but yes on occasion I have consumed a little too much during big tastings with friends or at beer fests, which I think most of us can all say.
  35. I usually buy beers and enjoy a few through out the week, maybe catch a buzz. I did just finish a school semester and had my first day of in 3 months from work and school. Woke up made breakfast and had a Mikeller Beer Geek Breakfast with it. Then i had a knew deep brewing tanilla with a buddy. Then i had a stone mint chocolate stout a lagunitas brown shugga and a Epic Big Bad Baptist. Was passed out by seven o clock. Oh what a day of beer and a great night of sleep with no hangover
  36. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

The answer is never. Drunk is not enjoyable and to me, a waste of good drink. All my beer is craft and all my bourbon is hand picked, top shelf or out of production so not going to waste it on inebriation.
  37. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I've got a good buzz going now. Drunk is fun. Im drinking a Sam Adams Whitewater IPA right now, whilst impaired. I can taste it just fine. However there's a difference between drunk and shitfaced/obliterated/smashed/destroyed etch.

Last time I was completely obliterated was on Thanksgiving. I didn't have a single beer that day though, twas all Maker's Mark and Bonarda Frizzante wine.
    SammyJaxxxx and xxbillay like this.
  38. During the week it's 1-2 a night (equivalent of a 12oz 5% abv beer, though typically for me, it's more often 16-20oz of a 3.5-4.5% beer...mmm, love those sessions).

On weekends (Fri/Sat) I may have anywhere between 3-6 over the course of a night hanging out w/friends or with my wife watching tv, playing games, etc. I'll generally catch a nice buzz then, and would obviously be way too much to drive or anything like that, but I'm not sloppy or what I'd consider 'drunk'.

I generally try to stay within about 14 beers (again, alcohol units, etc) per week-ish, or thereabouts, as the doctor says that's about the 'healthy' limit.

HOWEVER, 2-3 times a year probably (birthdays, weddings, the Manchester Derby, etc etc etc) all bets are off. My wife and I had a SPLENDID time this past June at a friend's wedding at a vineyard (great wine and great craft beer). Each of those times, however, I generally regret it the next day. That particular time, I had to fly back (hungover, and I hate flying in general) the next day, while grading student exams. Welcome to hell, bro.
  39. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

You ever drink wort? Not that good.
    C2H5 likes this.
  40. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

As often as I can.