1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How often do you get drunk?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeevo, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Friday and/or saturday. Hey I'm still young, 24, and most social events involve drinking.

2. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh fuck. you know man, that's just like, you know, none of your business.

3. Whenever I gt my growler filled, there's a very good chance that I'm getting drunk (aka when I open it, is getting finished in that sitting). Yea, I could let it go until the next day, but what's the fun in that.

Like tonight, currently on the back end of a growler of victory Yakima glory.

4. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

My senior class English teacher in high school once told me (while we were sipping a beer together, yeah, he was a cool mf'er) that "casual drinking is expensive and has no point".

Words to live by.

When I drink, I drink TO WIN. I expect to at least get a little buzzed.

willbm3 and xxbillay like this.
  6. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I like to catch a buzz when I'm drinking. As I type this I can tell you that I'm drunk from a football Sunday. When I intend to get drunk I plan my beers accordingly so that I drink the best beers first. This evening I started with Old Rasputin, followed by Narwhal, followed by Firestone Walker Union Jack, followed by SN Torpedo, and then miscellaneous. The fact that I like to tie one on doesn't preclude me from enjoying good beer. There are days I want to sit and taste and other days I want to get drunk. I'm not ashamed to admit it

Derranged and CA_Infidel2o9 like this.
  7. Well, depends on what you mean by drunk. I've never thrown up or forgotten anything, been hungover a few times (I didn't do any drinking between the ages of 16 and 24). I guess for me personally, I would say I'm heavily buzzed if I don't feel safe driving, and drunk if I have a hangover or am stumbling/eyes getting all weird. So with that definition, I rarely get drunk, get heavily buzzed 3-5 times a month when out with friends (specifically to go out to drink) or at a party. I enjoy getting buzzed with friends, fun, honest and deep conversations, silly times, and usually feel just fine in the morning except maybe a tad sleepy. I don't like getting drunk. Most of my drinking is one or two 12 oz or a bomber over about 30 min to an hour, hour and half time span. I just sip and enjoy. The idea of getting buzzed when not engaged with others just isn't something I feel ok doing.

CA_Infidel2o9 likes this.
  8. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Sry, but your english teacher is a POS. What adult really wants to hang out and drink w/ HS kids? I have to deal with kids fresh out of HS all the time at work, and i wanna choke em. Your teacher is fuzzy ducked in the head yo!

Winston_Smith likes this.
  9. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

You do know that the drinking age was once 18 in the US and is still 18 lots of places abroad, right?

Please stop making assumptions and living on a damn high horse. Also, I'm from the south and don't know what you just said.

Tut likes this.
  10. It's been years since I've been drunk. All the midnight karate exhibitions, spontaneous neighborhood karaoke competitions,and domestic violence charges have been 100% sober. Ish.

11. CA_Infidel2o9

Don't get me wrong, i personal think if your old enough to die for your country (18) you should be allowed to drink as much as you want, i just find them annoying and immature. The said teacher should feel the same way and know that he is only influence these kids to do the wrong thing. It pathetic IMO.

12. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (370) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

Maybe 3-4 times a month. I enjoy playing beer pong every so often. Or I just happen to drink all day watching football. I don't get hangovers so I don't mind it. Nothing wrong with becoming intoxicated unless you plan to drive.

13. Not in a long long time. At the 'ripe old' age of 35, combined with having to get up at 4:30 AM during the week for work, getting drunk isn't part of the gameplan anymore. 15 years ago, on the other hand....

14. ^^ Totally agree..Less and less since I've hit the 30 wall. Now it's only occasionally at a party or two throughout the year. The hangovers anymore don't let me forget them, plus they visit for a few days afterwards. Plus... once I have too much I can't really experience the flavor of the beer I'm drinking!

15. Bushka

Bushka Disciple (65) Michigan May 4, 2012

Whenever my wife isn't around.

bradcochran1234 likes this.
  16. Never if I can help it. Once or twice a year by accident (drinking beer faster than my body can process it.) And by drunk I mean uncomfortably inebriated, more than I want to be.

Fortunately, I generally get sleepy after about 3 beers, so it usually only happens when I'm out, not at home.

17. On average, I am probably drunk one weeknight night a week.. I am young and in a city and have not quite escaped the bar scene yet, although I am not nearly the drunk I was in college anymore.

Other than that, not particularly often, but I do have a relatively high tolerance - I probably have one beer at least 4 nights a week, and sometimes 2. Very rare that I will have more than 2 beers on a weeknight though.

18. wort /= beer without the alcohol.

19. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

As seldom as possible. I have little desire to do so but it occasionally happens.
    If I don't have a big meal before or during an eve of drinking then I tend to cross that line.
    Probably down to 2x per month (usually a Saturday).

20. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

LEGALLY drunk? Often. REALLY drunk? Hardly. I mean, sure I get a great buzz quite often, but I always (mostly) keep my senses about me. I never do anything stupid. And I always wake up feeling like a champ.

21. I avoid getting drunk the vast majority of the time. I love, love, love beer though so when I am drinking I find it hard to sip--even with a big beer. They just taste so delicious! Once I realize I have a good buzz on, that I am talking even more than usual, I'll have a glass of water or two. I try to limit my consumption to two beers if I drink them consecutively. Occasionally I'll have three if they are lower alcohol content. The days of puking, seeing double, or having a spinning bed are mercifully over.

22. We usually have bottleshares on Wednesdays with about 4 of us so I'm almost always at least tipsy on those days, but other than that only a few times a year (birthday, new years and other special occasions) do I get a little sloppy. Usually I'll drink between 1-3 beers 2 or 3 times a week.

23. Mojo

Mojo Savant (385) Alabama Jul 21, 2012

Me and drunkenness????

Well we are never ever ever getting back together.

I'm 52 now and have had plenty of binge drinking experiences. No longer interested in that. One beer a night. Never tempted to drink more than that.

24. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I don't get drunk drunk very often at all. And I rarely even get buzzed either. Depending on my current financial situation I will drink beer probably 4-7 nights a week, but I usually open one bomber and sip it for a while. If its really strong, I may get a buzz going but I normally stop after one. The only times I usually get a good buzz/drunk from beer is when I go out and drink flights at my local craft bar because I tend to drink them down fast since there is a time limit (they close at 11). If I want to get drunk then I'll drink liquor but I drink the hard stuff so rarely that my bottle of Rogue Hazelnut Rum lasted over a year and my bottle of Aberlour scotch has so far lasted about 8 months.

25. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Yeah I hate the spins worse than anything... Happened to me this last Sat. Not fun. You can either wait to fall asleep or go hurl... Either way it sucks.

26. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Sorry, what was the question...I blacked out...CHEERS

27. CA_Infidel2o9

like... ever? ;)

28. Buzzed (talking louder than normal, going on political rants, craving pizza)= twice per week

Drunk (not really sure how many drinks I have consumed, waking up the next morning feeling less than 100%)= once every two months

Trashed (the next day I don't get off the couch) = once every three years

Shit house (puke the night of or the day after) = once every five years

29. CA_Infidel2o9

Me last night...

Woke up to find this on my counter & the pic in my phone
    [​IMG]
    I would review it, if i could remembered how it was.

30. This coming from the guy who never binge drinks and screams and whines and throws fits if you suggest that craft beer often involves binge drinking. Well played, and thanks for discrediting yourself in such an entertaining fashion. Please reply with something about crying to my mommy - that's really good and sophisticated stuff, Biff.

31. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

Drunk off craft beer is kind of missing the point. When I see people drinking a line up of four 10% Belgian beers over one night, you may as well just switch to BMC at some point because your palate will go completely numb after too much strong beer.

I really don't like being drunk now. I'm 32, not super old, but I'm passed the whole lets get shit-faced and act retarded phase. My goal when I drink is to be able to appreciate every last drop and not cross that fine line where I'll just give myself a huge headache in the morning.

32. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

how do you guys not get buzzed/drunk off of a bomber? I call bs, I get kind of drunk if I have a single ipa bomber 8% abv or higher and Im a 220lb seasoned alchie..alright 240. Im not punching strangers or crapping my pants or anything but I wouldnt go driving my kids around.

33. CA_Infidel2o9

Lol i was expecting this from you little one. So because i drank too much last night means i always do this? Pfft please...

Sophistication is overrated, drink a beer.

34. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (295) California Apr 27, 2011

An interesting question posed here, well lets see I am not going to beat around the bush but it would seem that drunk by definition would be inhibriated by alcohol, i have observed many people on here claiming to be buzzed but never drunk, while I understand where you are coming from, I would have to say the law disagrees with you as they would indicate that anyone with a .08 or higher would be considered drunk as they will not let them operate a vehicle in that state. So how often do you get drunk was the question, not how often do you feel drunk. With that being said, and lets face it we are not drinking BMC on here I would say we cross the lawful threshold that would declare us drunk everytime we drink. I would not call the feeling, or throwing up, or a hangover the defining characteristic of drunk. I also do not agree with the lawful threshold, but I belive if you feel a buzz you are drunk, just maybe to a low level, but it is all drunk cheers my good BA's

35. CA_Infidel2o9

I think we all have our own perception of what "drunk" is, and this seems to be the reason we're going off topic and not just answering the original question. Maybe the OP can gives us his description of "drunk" and we can all go off of that.

36. 90% of the time, I get at least 20% drunk.

37. I do enjoy a snifter of port at Christmas

38. Drunk is in the eye, head and belly of the beholder. To me, drunk is when I wake up and can't remember what happened the day/night before. Using that definition, I haven't been drunk for 30 years. If you define drunk in the modern sense, i.e. not legal to drive, the answer becomes every weekend without exception.

39. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

I am gonna get obliterated tonight.

DonDirkA likes this.
  40. Full moons only.