1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

How Old Where You When You Fell For Beer & What Beer Was Your First Love?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SmoothHoosier, Apr 8, 2013.

1. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Member

16 and natty ice. I was poor and it was cheap.....what?!
  2. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Member

15 - Fat Tire
  3. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Member

I was in college and the beer was ``Pete's Gold Coast Lager''. I don't think they've made it for a long, long time.
  4. Rob315

Rob315 Member

21 and it was edmund fitzgerald made me realize I liked beer, and SNPA made me realize I liked hoppy beers.
  5. 4ingredients

4ingredients Member

16-18 year's old and was drinking Haffenreffer Private Stock. Switched to Sam Adams when it was introduced.
  6. papaholmz

papaholmz Member

St. Bernardus ABT12
  7. benjaminahudson

benjaminahudson Member

9; bud light
    4balance likes this.
  8. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Member

At 22 I tried Fat Tire and it pulled me the right direction, along with a couple of good friends, to find the wide world of craft.
  9. Danny1217

Danny1217 Member

Had Murphy's stout in a bar in Amsterdam. I was 17.
    4balance likes this.
  10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Member

There's video evidence that I used to sneak drinks from open beers when I was 2... So 33 years? HA!
  11. kojevergas

kojevergas Member

18. Guinness Extra Stout.
  12. mklisz

mklisz Member

21 - Aventinus
  13. dan027

dan027 Member

17 and it was Busch, we used to run through 30 packs of that like nobody's business
  14. DinoFight

DinoFight Member

I was 18, it was 1991 and I was stationed in Germany when I had my first beer. It was Park Pirminator. If only I could get this beer in the U.S. I would love to try it again.
  15. bifrost17

bifrost17 Member

21, old rasputin
    4balance likes this.
  16. DStoked

DStoked Member

Probably 21 or 22..Bell's Two Hearted
  17. brewfly

brewfly Member

high school. loved honey brown and guinness. thought they had so much flavor. havent had either in years but a good way to get my feet wet in the craft beer world
  18. BelgBeerGeek

BelgBeerGeek Member

I was 16 and it wasn't a beer that i fell in love with but a place and that place made me fall in love with beers and made me start getting interested in beertasting.
    It was at Kulminator ever before i wasn't aware there were so many beers in Belgium let alone worldwide !
    They made me think otherwise and with their beermenu of over 800 beers i was gobsmacked !
    So at first i came there every now and then always trying something new, then it became more and more and now i come there every week at least 1 time and the owners have become good friends of me.
    What really started me thinking otherwise about beer were De Dolle Brouwers: who made me realize that small craft brewerys are deffinitly better than the bigger ones, De Struise Brouwers : who made me get into the more foreing style beers like Stouts, IPA's etc ..., and Mikkeller : who made me realize that beers from outside of Belgium are also really delicious and 50% of the times even better than what's easly sold overhere ..

So first really good beers that got me into the beerscene were :
    De Dolle Oerbier/Stille Nacht, De Struise Pannepot/Black Albert and Mikkeller Santa's Little Helper.

I was lucky enough to discover beer this way and way before the "beerhype" really kicked in.
    Nowadays tasting a beer or doing reviews on it is more to get the most amount of beers at the least amount of time the so called 'tick' and i pitty that ... beer is such a wonderfull product and real skill and art in a glass, that i really find it a shame that people only drink it for the fame ...
    Beer is more than that ...
    dan027 likes this.
  19. VTHopddicted

VTHopddicted Member

28 yrs . I started with Harpoon Ipa soon followed by Abner. Since then I cant get enough Ipa and IIpa
  20. Siggy125

Siggy125 Member

Started drinking beer heavily at 19. Big keg parties on the beach waking up to sunrise, sand & vomit. Didn't wander into new beers til about age 35. Newcastle was the first beer other than the yellow fizzy stuff. It escalated from there. 18 or so years later, I'm wondering how long I can keep up with the great beers we have today. One or 2 glasses of barrel aged stuff and I'm done. :(
  21. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Member

As a preteen back in the 60s, I fell in love with Ballantine XXX Ale. What it has become borders on being criminal.
    4balance likes this.
  22. kingofhop

kingofhop Member

2. Locally brewed German bock.
    4balance likes this.
  23. fx20736

fx20736 Member

1979, I was a big 16 year old at a time that the drinking age was 18. I walked in to a bar named Flat tops and ordered an Old Style tap for twenty five cents. Growing up listening to the Cubs, Old Style holds a unique place in my heart.

"...pure brewed from God's Country, the G Heileman Brewing Company, La Crosse, Wisconsin."
  24. tolar111

tolar111 Member

I was 15, drank Budweiser tall boys
    4balance likes this.
  25. dennho

dennho Member

I was around 14 and it was two tall boys of Narragansett. (1976?)
    I can't find my notes but I remember not being impressed with the lacing.
    o_O
  26. MagicJeff

MagicJeff Member

Went to college in Missisippi--freshman year was natty, then one party my sophomore year someone handed me a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (one of the few decent beers available in MS)..."haven't looked back since"
  27. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Member

15. I fell over a few times after a 40 of Mickey's.
  28. THEcorky

THEcorky Member

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was on my way to Western Union to send a telegraph. I was wearing an onion on my belt, as it was the style at the time. I saw a burlesque woman standing at the entrance of the local saloon. I decided to pop in and have a beer and listen to the player piano, as it was new technology. They had a beer that had just won "America's Best" at the World's Columbian Exposition. It was called Papst. The rest is history.
  29. longbongsilver

longbongsilver Member

First beer I absolutely ever liked was St Ides, back in 1999 (I was 17). Stuck to it & other malt liquors until I could actually buy my own legally, then noticing the variety in better liquor stores the curiosity process took over...

Next thing you know, my uncle asks me to bring some beer next time we came to visit to go with the BBQ pork being fixed, and I show up with Brooklyn Brewery BCS.
  30. Spaghett

Spaghett Member

I was 19 and Scrimshaw by North Coast changed my whole view on beers. Before that me and my high school buddy would sneak 40's into my bedroom and play Resident Evil 4 all night. That was back when a 40 would get SMAAAAAAAAAAST.
  31. Premo88

Premo88 Member

about 1994 in college, I was 22 or 23, kept hearing a literature professor go on and on about "bitter"

it led to me trying Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale ... then trying it some more ... and some more ... and some more ...
    neenerzig likes this.
  32. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Member

My first craft brew that I REALLY enjoyed (I mean sat down for about 45 minutes with no distractions and enjoyed it purely un-addled) was Old Rasputin. I'm enjoying one tonight for the 2nd time ever and it brings back a good memory.
  33. JArena13

JArena13 Member

Me too, it was the penguin and that damn iceberg bottle. Beer for kids!
  34. neenerzig

neenerzig Member

35. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Member

My game changer was at about 20 when I had a Trois Pistoles
  36. Bobator

Bobator Member

I was buying legally, so around 21 years old, which puts it around 1976.

The beer was imported German Loewenbraeu Dark. Pre Miller licensing and not the Swiss version.
  37. Bobheed

Bobheed Member

First real craft experience was when I was maybe 17 and it was Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. Still love it to this day
  38. whatsgoody

whatsgoody Member

Didn't ever love beer until I spent 4 months in Germany at age 17. Got hooked on Erdinger hefeweisen and soon I was taking weekly trips to Munich and bamberg. Now I love American ales too, but often times there's nothing better than a classic German lager.
  39. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

I fell hard for FFF Alpha King when they still distributed to PA back in the mid 1990's.
    Bell's Expedition Stout shortly thereafter.
    4balance likes this.
  40. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Member

First beer was a Yuengling Black and Tan. Didn't hate that. Had the crappy BMC stuff all throughout HS, didn't really like it though. Then I was in Aspen on vacation when I was 20 and one of the kids I was staying with grabbed an Aspen Brewing Company IPA growler and insisted I tried it. I was intrigued by the flavors going on and the bitterness. I've been an IPA guy ever since.