1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How Old Where You When You Fell For Beer & What Beer Was Your First Love?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SmoothHoosier, Apr 8, 2013.

1. haknort

haknort Savant (265) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

Nineteen, which was 1989. Had a fake ID, bought from a liquor store that allowed you to make your own six pack out of imports. This was before the craft beer revolution, so there was Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, and imports. So my buddy and I tried lots of Belgians and German and English beers.

But the one that I have the fondest memories for was Mamba, from the Ivory Coast, Africa. Came in a bomber with an alligator on it. A malt liquor, but with an almost seaweed type hop profile. Fell in love with it, not only for the high abv (essential to a college kid) but to this day it is the best tasting malt liquor. Think Carlsberg Elephant, but with less cloy and more hops.

The Ivory Coast brewery was destroyed in a civil war. I wish they'd start brewing again...
  2. 15 and Coors Light.

No but really, the beer that broke me out of the mold of the regular BMC beers was Guinness. I didn't think beer could be any different from the "fizzy yellow stuff" that was BMC. I started to really get into stouts and porters from then on. Then came pale ales and such, and then finally graduated to IPAs (which I absolutely abhorred at first).
  3. When I was 19 I would have a beer or 2 with my father, Bud, Corona, Miller. I never liked them much till I discovered Köstritzer Schwarzbier when I was 21. I picked it up at the World market when I was browsing the wine section. From then on I will give any beer a shot atleast once and I am always looking to try something new.
  4. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

Always have been a beer drinker, but it was almost always a miller product. I was 33 when I had a beer that wowed me (and knocked me on my ass) and that was Delirium Nocturnum. However, this didnt convert me to craft. It was when I had a ST Unearthly on tap when I was 34 that got be on to beers other than BMC. 36 now and its a new experience every day
  5. 23 and Brooklyn Local 2. It's been a great ride these past almost 4 years. Still enjoy Local 2.
  6. Kikodamian

Kikodamian Zealot (90) Florida Feb 9, 2013

I was 18 when I really enjoyed my first beer. Yuengling Lager was the most delicious malt beverage I had ever tasted. I still love it. From then on I've been interested in craft brew and eager to try the different types.
  7. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

Back in 2008 (when I was 15 goin on 16), my big brother had me try Harpoon's Leviathan Imperial IPA. It was my gateway into the craft brew realm, not because I liked it in any way, shape or form, but because I wanted to drink it until I loved it so I could sit down and enjoy them with him. Now, 6ish years later, I'm proud to say that I introduce him to most new beers that he tries. Just tryin to make my big bro proud!
  8. 4balance

4balance Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011

In the womb, thanks mom...love ya.
    kingofhop likes this.
  9. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Drank rum in my high school days, and moved into bourbons until I found Summit EPA and Leinenkugels Red in my early 20's. somehow I drank a lot of Miller Lite in my mid 20's, but don't see myself ever going back to that now.
  10. Shakory

Shakory Aficionado (175) Wisconsin Jan 10, 2013

15, i had plenty new glarus around that time at family events etc.. but i won a delirium tremens in a poker game with a bunch of older doods in the neighborhood, started trying different beers after that but didnt seek crazy stuff out like i do now
  11. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (280) California Oct 17, 2009

My epiphany about craft beer is actually pretty amusing. I've always enjoyed a good beer, but didn't really get into it until 2005.

That year, this beloved family-run deli in Southern California announced that they were having a small tasting event from a brewery. The event was just $25 from a little known brewer from Santa Rosa named, Vinnie Cilurzo. Vinnie use to brew beer in SoCal in Temecula before opening Russian River! The place only sat about 40 people, but I recall that it wasn't difficult to get a ticket. Some of the 13 beers he brought included Supplication, Temptation, Damnation, Perdition, Pliny the Elder, and relatively new one that had been receiving good feedback... Pliny the Younger. I remember thinking, "Wow! This PtY is so good, I really hope it catches on!"

After that night, I couldn't wait to try all the other craft beers out there that must certainly be just as good as Pliny the Younger.

Now Vinnie's practically a celebrity and when that small deli gets a keg of Pliny in February the line is closer to 400 people than 40.
  12. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

I used to sneak Coors Original out of the fridge as a kid. My parents literally have a home video where I took my first sip of beer (Coors) & I said its like caramel. My parents were stunned that I liked it, and before the camera turns off you can hear my mom say "take that beer away from him".

Teen years I loved Boulevard Wheat, Boulevard Pale Ale, Newcastle Brown Ale, Boulevard Lunar Ale & Rolling Rock. I thought Rolling Rock was a micro brewery then.

At 21 (7 years ago) I got into craft beer. I didn't go out a lot at 21 since I was a big pothead so I started trying a few new beers a week, it took off big quick as I noticed different cities had a different selection. I remember my first beer haul upon turning 21 was mainly Belgian & German beers. I was intrigued by the Belgian ales, German not so much.
  13. Never was a big drinker. Shortly after my 21st birthday started a new job and while out at the bar with some coworkers one suggested something that made me want to try different beers so I went to the liquor store the next day and picked up a Rogue Dead Guy Ale. After that tried an Arrogant Bastard and the rest is history.
  14. rodlavers

rodlavers Savant (385) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2012

I mostly drank Yuengling (yuengers) in high school, but also enjoyed Rolling Rock (rollers), and Corona in my early days before rightly moving onto SNPA and Victory Hop Devil...such a sick move, moving on.
  15. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Apparently I was six months old and shouted "Ba" for my Dad's Lion Lager (Living in South Africa at the time).

My first love of beer experience (as a consenting adult) was doing kegs stands of celebration at 17, because it was cheaper than Bud in college. During the middle of the stand, I started wondering why I was chugging the delicious, delicious beer.
  16. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Wait...Celebration was cheaper than Bud?
  17. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
  18. It began back around 22 and is full on now at 23. My first introduction to beer was through DFH because of the fire sale of Fort for $3, which featured artwork from one of my favorite artists and is the reason that I picked it up. Then, I looked up DFH and was interested by their Ancient Ales and had to go to a birthday party with beer, so I had my friend pick up some Midas Touch for the birthday boy, who gave me two of them. Midas Touch solidified my love of DFH and not really beer. Then, I had a taste of some Ruination that a friend ordered at a fully paid dinner. However, after running through DFH's catalog, I still hadn't really fallen in love with beer. I am still trying to think of what the spark was that got me into other beers, outside of Stone and DFH.
  19. did the whole coors light crap in high school, but at 18 i had my first wheat. it was Great White from Lost Coast brewing. Loved the label on it (reminded me of street sharks cartoon when i was young). After that, i just kept experimenting. Being in my area, very rich with good breweries. I'd go visit my friends once a month in Chico, they went to college there, and thats just so happens to be where Sierra Nevada is, and now years later, one of my friends works there.... But it all started with Great white, then i got on the Wheat kick and got into weihenstephaner, then its a snowball effect..... and here i am today, writing this post.

Craft beer saved, and ruined, my life at the very same time..
  20. I was 20 when I had Sam Adams Winter Lager and fell in love (really don't like the style anymore!)
  21. vkv822

vkv822 Advocate (600) Oregon Nov 30, 2009

I was 18 and sick of drinking crappy light beer or booze and asked my dad to get me some "good beer" and he got me a 6-er of Dead Guy Ale. An average beer now, but it completely blew my mind and changed my perspective at the time.
  22. 17 w/ Guinness. Thought I ONLY liked dark beer so shifted to Old Rasputin per my dad.

Ironically, while in Ireland at the Salt House & Porterhouse, the bartender called me out that I liked "hoppy beers" to much and I was a west-coast American.....this was my realization that Im a hophead, I was drinking Porterhouse's Hophead IPA and Big Daddy Speakeasy IPA (21).
  23. DoomVM

DoomVM Aficionado (150) Georgia Mar 1, 2013

20, with Blue Moon. For years my dad drank Corona and I just assumed all beer tasted like that, then BOOM he switches over to Blue Moon one day and what do you know it tastes pretty good. Through the magic of the internet I tried to find other beers like Blue Moon and stumbled upon this wonderful site, with all these beers that apparently blew Blue Moon out of the water. On my 21st birthday i went to my local Total Wine and got a 6th month old Trade Winds Tripple from The Bruery (don't ask me why but for some reason I NEEDED to try a beer from them even though I had never had anything in a style they commonly make) and even with pretty much no hint of basil left in it, it blew my mind with all the flavors. That was the deal sealer for me, and I can't wait to try Trade Winds fresh this summer to see how it holds up to all the tasty beers I've had and will have since I first got it.
  24. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Yep. In Chico (Where original Sierra Nevada brewery is based) kegs of Bud were around $120 and kegs of Celebration were only about $60-70, I think Pale Ale was around $45/keg (not sixtels either, we're talking 1/2 bbl).
    jebsinger likes this.
  25. I didbt really atart drinking til 19 or 20 and since I've guzzled many times I've my body weight in said yellow fizzy bubbly. However we'd get a six or 12 of "good beer" to start it off ether blue moon or 312 before it went nasty. Begining sometime around when i could buy my own beer I started to experiment from there with what else I liked and a few years later ill drink anything that I can find that looks interesting.
  26. How I wish I could get the pale for that price!
  27. 16. Downtown Brown!
  28. in high school bud light and PBR... flying dog raging bitch was the beer that got me into the world of craft brews.
  29. i was 14. I started drinking mickeys and fosters... with the occasional MD 20/20. i've been in love with beer for a long time but dont drink nearly as much as when I was a stupid kid
  30. 14, green monsters. That's heffenreffers for you younger folk. Then bud then Sam lager. All downhill after 3 weeks in Germany.
  31. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

when i turned 21(december last year), I drank a 90 minute and fell in love. 2 weeks later had my first pliny.
  32. I was 16, Michelob
  33. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

First craft beer I ever had was a magic hat #9 when I was about 16/17. First beer I fell in love with was Allagash white at age 21.
  34. tone77

tone77 Advocate (570) Pennsylvania May 20, 2009

13, and Olde English 800.
  35. 20, Killians Irish Red
  36. 21- It was Duvel that made tequila pale in comparison ;)!
  37. bjmh

bjmh Aficionado (135) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

14--believe it or not, Carlings Black Label in a quart bottle!
    Hey Mabel! LOL Drank beer from that point til about 30 yrs. old--then gave it up for wine til I discovered craft beer at 65--now that's all I drink.
    Bob
    fredmugs likes this.
  38. I was 21 in Germany and fell in love with Franziskaner Weissbier. Its much better over there than here fyi