1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

how quickly do citras usually sell on release day?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by fartmaster, Mar 14, 2012.

1. fartmaster

fartmaster Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2011

just curious if i have any hopes of getting some, if i dont get off work till 330 on friday, and 4 on sunday...cant make it saturday

should i even hope to get some?

oh and i live in bakersfield so the drive is like 30-40 min

2. they are sold out now.

3. Duh. The release isn't until March 23. Oh, you were being...something.

Regarding Friday/Sunday <shrugs> - who knows? Friday is a workday, Sunday all the out of towners might have gone home. But then, you never underestimate the voraciousness of the beer geek.

4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

They will sell pretty quickly, but it shouldn't be crazy. Get there at 10:30, and if it's like when I went down there will be one guy waiting for them to open. Kern is too in the middle of nowhere to get a real line. Who knows how fast they'll sell out per day, but I'd be pretty confident that anyone showing up before opening will get their bottles.

5. I went down for the last release expecting it to be like this. Instead over 200 people (mainly from LA) made the trip that Saturday morning. I arrived at opening to find out that if you weren't one of the first 50 people (80 this time) and in line before 10I you were out of luck for bottles. Never underestimate the craziness of a release these days.

6. stupac2

What the shit? Seriously? When I went there were maybe 25 people there at opening, and I was there an hour early and was #2 in line. Absolute madness.

7. fartmaster

i called the brewery, they said it was absolute madness last year, i got to convince a friend to go there for me...man too bad none of my friends understand how important this is. ha ha...their all saying its just beer...grrr

8. stupac2

Won't they still have it on tap, but without growlers? Go up in the afternoon, drink a few pints, have dinner, go back home. I'm farther from RR than you are from Kern, and I do that trip fairly often.

I mean, if you just want to DRINK Citra, it won't be that hard. If you want the bottles to trade or whatever, I guess you'll need to work for them.

9. fartmaster

If they are then im going to drink me as many pints as my body can handle and will get a growler fill of dirty hippy

10. Epical8

Epical8 Aficionado (120) California Dec 30, 2010

Its only in bottles

11. I'm pretty sure they made kegs. They're just not filling any growlers. They want it to last longer than two days at the brewpub.

12. fartmaster

13. Epical8

I failed

14. fartmaster

i thought the same thing man no worries

15. Good thing about failing is the 'drowning your sorrows to wash away the disgrace' part.

16. Last release was crazy for Kern standards, but not for other beer releases. If you get there an hour or so early you will get bottles. I was there on the Fri/Sat after Thanksgiving and was in the first 5 around 10am.

17. stupac2

And handsomely gave me a bottle of Nelson!

18. That was the release before! You missed the crazy Thanksgiving one.

19. Epical8

How much do they sell for?