1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment How to figure out 1-100 point score.

Discussion in 'Site' started by Immortale25, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm wondering if there's a way to figure out the 1-100 point range score for a particular beer I've reviewed. For example, there are only a few beers I've reviewed that I have a 0% rDev for, so I know what point score I have for those: GD Yeti I gave a 4.22 which translates to a 94, BrewDog Old World RIS I gave a 3.9 which translates to a 86, Diamond Knot Ho! Ho! Winter Ale I gave a 3.73 which translates to a 84. Is there a formula or algorithm that can give me these points? And, if the overall BA scores I'm referring to are unrelated to my scores, how do the Bros get their 1-100 point rating? For example, Jason gave Stone's Enjoy By a 4.4 which (for some reason) translates to a 98. Can someone make sense of all this for me? Thanks.

2. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

This kind of explains it:

http://beeradvocate.com/help/index?topic=ratings

But they used to post the actual equations they used, which is what I'm guessing you're looking for. Either they took those down, or I just can't find them right now.

3. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

I don't believe we ever did.

4. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

The BA Overall Score is applied to beer with 10 or more reviews. It's based on a weighted rank algorithm that takes the entire range of active beers with 10 or more reviews into consideration. It basically acts as a visual layer that sits on top of the 1-5 average in order to provide a familiar score to consumers who are already used to similar number based rating systems; wine, liquor, etc.

It's not applied to individual user ratings; outside of our ("BROS") score which is a version of the above; used for the same reasons given above.

You shouldn't try to apply and overall 1-100 score to your own reviews; refer to your 1-5 scores instead.

See this already posted link too: http://beeradvocate.com/help/index?topic=ratings

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.