1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

How to figure out 1-100 point score.

Discussion in 'Feedback & Help' started by Immortale25, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortale25

Immortale25 Member

I'm wondering if there's a way to figure out the 1-100 point range score for a particular beer I've reviewed. For example, there are only a few beers I've reviewed that I have a 0% rDev for, so I know what point score I have for those: GD Yeti I gave a 4.22 which translates to a 94, BrewDog Old World RIS I gave a 3.9 which translates to a 86, Diamond Knot Ho! Ho! Winter Ale I gave a 3.73 which translates to a 84. Is there a formula or algorithm that can give me these points? And, if the overall BA scores I'm referring to are unrelated to my scores, how do the Bros get their 1-100 point rating? For example, Jason gave Stone's Enjoy By a 4.4 which (for some reason) translates to a 98. Can someone make sense of all this for me? Thanks.
  2. dvelcich

dvelcich Member

This kind of explains it:

http://beeradvocate.com/help/index?topic=ratings

But they used to post the actual equations they used, which is what I'm guessing you're looking for. Either they took those down, or I just can't find them right now.
  3. Todd

Todd BA Founder Staff Member

I don't believe we ever did.
  4. Todd

Todd BA Founder Staff Member

The BA Overall Score is applied to beer with 10 or more reviews. It's based on a weighted rank algorithm that takes the entire range of active beers with 10 or more reviews into consideration. It basically acts as a visual layer that sits on top of the 1-5 average in order to provide a familiar score to consumers who are already used to similar number based rating systems; wine, liquor, etc.

It's not applied to individual user ratings; outside of our ("BROS") score which is a version of the above; used for the same reasons given above.

You shouldn't try to apply and overall 1-100 score to your own reviews; refer to your 1-5 scores instead.

See this already posted link too: http://beeradvocate.com/help/index?topic=ratings

Hope this helps.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.