1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How to get good USA beer in China?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by percypan, Oct 30, 2012.

1. percypan

percypan Disciple (55) China Jul 2, 2009

It's really hard to have good USA beer in China! Help!
    patre_tim likes this.
  2. Hindsight

Hindsight Aficionado (245) Ohio Oct 8, 2011

Finally...something they can't counterfeit.
  3. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Shipping?:confused: Do they accept fedex or other forms of mail? If so, be prepared to spend a fortune on shipping alone!! Best thing you can do is find good ingredients and learn to home-brew your own ales!!
    mooseisloose likes this.
  4. chaselw9

chaselw9 Disciple (50) China Jan 6, 2010

Where are you in China? Shanghai and Beijing have plenty of good options as well as the Shenzhen/Hong Kong area.

Dxcel does a lot of the American beer imports and their website states....
    http://www.dxcel.com.cn/home/about-us.aspx
  5. percypan

percypan Disciple (55) China Jul 2, 2009

6. chaselw9

chaselw9 Disciple (50) China Jan 6, 2010

Ah, I see. About the best American beer I've seen in Shanghai is Old Rasputin.
  7. ajzy

ajzy Savant (425) Wisconsin Jun 15, 2011

wondering this as well--Ill be spending a month in Beijing this summer and am worried where my craft beer fix is going to come from!
  8. krouge

krouge Aficionado (145) Thailand Dec 22, 2006

Had PBR on the train from Beijing to Shanghai. So far that's about the best beer that I've had in China.
  9. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (695) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

Best bet is to TRY and find Great Leap Brewing in Beijing-Hope your Mandarin is decent. Take a train to Shanghai for a stop at a few spots - Boxing Cat (my favorite), Dr. Beer and The Brew. Its Shanghai Beer week this week http://shanghaibeerweek.com/events/sinan-mansions-beer-festival/
    Good Luck
  10. ajzy

ajzy Savant (425) Wisconsin Jun 15, 2011

hahaha--my Mandarin is actually non existent...gonna be a long month, but Ill have to try and make it to Shanghai
  11. CTJman

Shanghai has better choices IMO - the fast train from Beijing is like 7 hours (i believe) but worth it. There's also a few bottle shops that carry North Coast and Rogue (best you'll do for now). However, if you go to Keiba Beer Bar (Shanghai - 3 locations so look online or email them before you go) you will find yourself looking at a nice Belgian list including many bottles of Cantillion! Enjoy
  12. coyote711

coyote711 Disciple (70) New York Aug 4, 2010

Where can i find north coast beers in shanghai?
  13. CTJman

This is old but Jackie's beer Nest
  14. dbaker61

dbaker61 Savant (285) Ohio Oct 19, 2010

In Qingdao (where I am for the time being), there are a number of foreign-owned or upscale supermarkets that have decent selections of bottled imports. As for Belgians, I have seen Chimay (Red, Gold and Blue), Leffe, Duvel and others. Several stouts, many weissebiers. Hop-heads will be disappointed; it appears that IPAs and the like have yet to make an impression on the Chinese palate here. Also, a number of local bars and restaurants have either started brewing their own, or are getting very good beer from an American who has started his own microbrewery. I will be reviewing his operations later.
    CTJman likes this.
  15. CTJman

Enjoy it out there. I know Shanghai and Beijing are on their way but it may take a while before the word spreads (or maybe not). If you do ever get to Shanghai I would recommend you give Boxing Cat a go.
    Cheers
  16. PeterVesti

PeterVesti Aficionado (100) China Aug 12, 2013

For Shanghai have a look here: http://shanghai.cheers-in.com/ also I always find North Coast and lots of Rogue in my local supermarket. Way easier to find good beers (especially Belgian) here than in my native country (Denmark) :)
    patre_tim likes this.
  17. In Beijing, in addition to Great Leap and Slow Boat there's a new brewery http://www.capitalbrew.com/ that does a couple IPA's and a lot of good seasonals.
    CTJman likes this.