1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

How to get westy 12 in belgium?

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by Moose21, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Moose21

Moose21 Member

Hi All-

I'm going to amsterdam and belgium in a month and want to start the pilgrimage to get westy 12. I know that I have to call and "win the lottery" to get a spot in line- my questions are:

1. will they let you reserve without knowing what your rental car license plate will be
    2. how can you ship the beer home - I don't want to bring it on the plane home if I don't have to.

thanks,

MOOSE
  2. Morningstorm

Morningstorm Member

For Amsterdam, visit de bierkoning, they usually have it in stock for 14 euros. You can also stop at the bottleshop where I work, its 10 euros for a west 12. And then there is de BA brabander who is the weary guru, I'm sure hell respond in this thread. He can hook you up with some westvleteren and give you some advice on how to ship it.

as far as westy goes in Belgium, there are some shops like dranken geers en hopduvel that have it in stock (correct me if I'm wrong). Don't know about prices.

for picking the beer up there, brabander can also help you put I guess.

good luck!
  3. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Member

First of all if you insist on refering to it as Wesy you shall not be allowed to travel to Europe.

You could set up an IP trade (send me a message if you want to do that).

Don't think Geers sells Westvleteren

Paying for extra luggage is cheaper than to send a box from the Netherlands to the US (10kg box is € 56,-)

And now we'll wait for Thijs (Brabander) and his vast knowledge on how to aquire Westvleteren :) .
  4. unclekeith

unclekeith Member

The process for getting a case from the monks is a complicated and it is tough to get through on the phone at the designated time. But if you are heading there anyway, you can get a gift pack (one 12, one 8, two blonde, and a full size chalice) for about 24 euro at the cafe gift shop. I had heard that the gift packs can sell out by the end of the day, so we got there before noon and it was not an issue. Also, make sure the cafe is open that day. They are not open 365 days/year.

The 12 was euro 4.20 at the cafe. The others were slightly less. Prices are from July 2012.

Have an awesome time!
  5. Brabander

Brabander Member

Here i am!

The answer to the first question is...yes, you can reserve without having licenceplatesnumbers. Just tell them you will be coming with a rental car and they will write down your name. When you come there they can ask you for your id.

Shipping home is the hard part. You will have to pack the crate yourself so you will need bubble wrap and other stuf. You can ship the parcel at a Dutch or a Belgium postoffice, that is doable. Cost for shipping a parcel are pretty high when you look at the prices. The parcel will weigh 20 kilo and the costs in Holland and Belgium are pretty pricy. I will send you some info about Westvleteren!

Why that drive to get Westvleteren 12, it is a normal beer and there are better beers available in Belgium......

Thijs
    Michigan likes this.
  6. DStoked

DStoked Member

I'm doing the same in May. Hoping to do Westvleteren on a Saturday. What are the chances of "winning the lottery"? Should I have a backup plan?

Would I be better trying another day besides Saturday?
  7. DStoked

DStoked Member

Tuesday 12/03/2013
    AM
    PM TW 12 2 crates 13:30-16:30
    Wednesnay 13/03/2013
    AM 10:00-12:00 TW 12 2 crates
    PM 13:00-15:00 TW 12 2 crates TW 12 2 crates 13:30-16:30
    Thursday 14/03/2013
    AM 10:00-12:00 TW 12 2 crates
    Friday 15/03/2013
    weekly closing day
    Saterday 16/03/2013
    AM

OK, forgive my ignorance, by maybe someone can explain this to me. What does this thing mean?

If I want to pick up the beer Tuesday March 12, it says they have two crates, but no call in info for that day.
    If I want to pick up Weds March 13, I have to call between 10-12? Or what?
    What about if I want to pick up Saturday?

I feel like I should be able to figure this out...sorry.
  8. DStoked

DStoked Member

Crap that didn't show up like I thought it would...
  9. Brabander

Brabander Member

To order Westvleteren for the saturday is the hard part. Everyone wants to pick up the beers on the saturday so the list is filled fast for that day! Monday is a good day because in de Vrede will be open also on the monday. Bad part is that Struise will be closed.....You will have to wait and see what will be up for the period you will go.

Use at least three cellphones with the number recognition ON to get the best chance!

Thijs
  10. DStoked

DStoked Member

Yikes. Well if you know anyone that would want to mule for me in exchange for a handsome and succulent reward let me know...
  11. adamant1912

adamant1912 Member

Where is your shop/how easy is it to get to? I've seen you post in these forums a few times and read through these threads as I have been trying to figure out plans for my trip next month. I will be staying a few blocks from Cantillon on March 25-26 and trying to figure out where I should go. BM me with info, thanks.
  12. yinzer

yinzer Member

Looks like here

As best as I can tell it about 3 hours, € 23.80 round trip and two transfers from Amsterdam.
  13. Brabander

Brabander Member

Give me a BM and we will sort things out together. Joure is pretty far from Amsterdam and form what i have heard the owner knows his way in beerland. For Westvleteren i would not go to Joure.....

Thijs
  14. Christrappist

Christrappist Member

In ''de Vrede'' the large cafe opposite the abbey of westvleteren you can buy upto 6 bottles per person from the souvenir shop, but be there early since they only have a limited amount to sell and especially the 12 is popular. In the meantime you can drink westvleteren untill you drop in the cafe.
  15. Morningstorm

Morningstorm Member

What? No, I work for Flink Gegist in Delft, not lekkerbier in Joure. The guy already contacted me but hasn't responded to my PM any since, so we'll see.
  16. yinzer

yinzer Member

OK, I looked at that picture and compared it to what I saw on-line. You might to have your shop entered into the BA database.