1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How would you sequence this?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by OneDropSoup, Jan 5, 2013.

1. I'm putting together a tasting & running into some trouble figuring out how to order the flight.

Porter, ~5.5% (pretty sure I'm putting this one first, so no help needed here)
    Hoppy BSPA, ~9.5%
    Smoked Bock, ~7.5%
    Gueuze, ~5.5%
    Barrel-Aged Barleywine, ~10.2%

Got four different, flavorful styles with varying ABVs. What do you think? Thanks!
  2. Porter
    Hoppy BSPA
    Gueze
    Barleywine
    Smoked Bock

No rhyme or reason to this, just how I would want them.
  3. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

My suggestion is you put that Gueuze first, otherwise you're just ruining it.
    cyraxx, JxExM, jbeezification and 2 others like this.
  4. :confused: What is the logic behind this? IMO you could put the gueuze anywhere and it will hold its own (more appropriately: dominate).
  5. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Gueuze first IPA last
    the rest doesn't matter
    and i hope it goes without saying...water in between or there no point at all
    JxExM and jbeezification like this.
  6. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Porter, ~5.5% (pretty sure I'm putting this one first, so no help needed here)
    Gueuze, ~5.5%
    Smoked Bock, ~7.5%
    Hoppy BSPA, ~9.5%
    Barrel-Aged Barleywine, ~10.2%

Anal about numbers, but I think thats how I would attack it.
    bradcochran1234 likes this.
  7. Whatever has the most IBU's needs to be last. If you think your IPA has more bitterness than your BW than switch the two but other than that this flight is perfect.
  8. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Post breakfast...get fruity... Gueze.
    Get in a little activity (bathing)
    Pre-lunch porter w/gratuitous sex
    Lunch
    230-3pm cheese & fresh bread assortment w Smoked Bock
    4pm. Gratuitous sex.
    422: Not a nap but I'm just resting my eyes
    630 dinner
    644: BSPA
    844: thinking about gratuitous sex...but nah.
    845: BA Barley wine.
    927: dreaming of gratuitous.....nah.
    jmgrub, Droogins, CMUbrew and 4 others like this.
  9. AxesandAnchors

Most Gueuze beers are complex, but they're complex because they have a ton of subtle layered flavors behind that upfront tart/dry/high carbonation. If you start off by drinking something that has a lot of roasted/smoked malt character, or hop bitterness your pallet isn't going to be able to pick up on all those great subtle flavors that hopefully that Gueuze is going to have.
    Horbar and luwak like this.
  10. Huh, interesting responses. I wasn't expecting to have so many folks put the gueuze so early in the flight, as the acidity can be pretty overpowering, but AxesnandAnchors makes a good point about the subtleties. I hadn't thought about it that way.

Also, it's not an IPA I'm including, per se, but more hop-forward Belgian Golden Ales - Piraat & Bruery Mischief.
    Thinking things should look more like this:
    Porter
    Gueuze
    BSPA
    Smoked Beers
    BA Barleywines
    Does this make sense to folks?
    And I appreciate the feedback. "Curating" is something I really have a fun time with, & this line-up definitely was more puzzling to me.
  11. Interesting reasoning, but I totally disagree. Gueuze is the ultimate "reset button" for my palate. Also, I appreciate it's complexity more after having other less complex beers. In an ideal beer tasting situation, I like to drink a glass of gueuze throughout the whole tasting, while other beers are being tasted, intermittently. If I am not able to do this, I like to go from simplest flavors to most complex. If drinking gueuze in a session, I always like it to be the last taste I have. I really love to be buzzed and very slowly sip a glass of gueuze before going to bed. Of course this is just my opinion and preference.
  12. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

You must have one crazy tasting group.
    luwak likes this.
  13. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Alphabetically
  14. AxesandAnchors

While I agree that Gueuze is a great beer to clear your palate, because of it's dryness and high carbonation (a reason it goes so well with food), I disagree that one should use this to "reset" for another beer style. Use something else like a small amount of water or unsalted mild food.
  15. I didn't say that one should use gueuze for this reason, I said, "Gueuze is the ultimate 'reset button' for my palate".
    I was merely sharing my opinion and preferences. You may do whatever you prefer. I responded, originally, because I disagreed with your viewpoint and was interested in what your reasoning was. I still think that a Gueuze can fit anywhere into a tasting without diminishing my appreciation of its qualities or complexities. You said:
    This is a very extreme statement that I do not agree with. I find it hard to believe (and quite laughable) that such a bold, complex beer could be ruined by having a BSPA or a Porter (or any of the other beer styles listed) before having it. That's it.
  16. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Best beers early in the tasting, everything else later.