1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How You Drink Your Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beertsipper, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Does it have any impact on your ratings and your overall impression of a beer? For instance, I had a couple of DFH 90's yesterday. Took my time with them. Sipped and relished them. The flavor changed with the warming of the temperature. Last time I had this beer, I drank them rather quickly and couldn't savor (or appreciate) the many flavor profiles... But they were more refreshing. Downed them on a hot summer day after softball. Today I had my last KBS and drank it quickly. Not as tasty as my previous KBS where I took about 35 minutes to drink it. Are ratings here skewed?? This is why I don't rate beers. Makes no sense to me. I think it depends upon when you drink them. After a heavy meal? Your rating might be skewed. After sweating your butt off... You rating might be skewed. Etc., etc.,...Feel me on this???

mverity and dumptruck81 like this.
  2. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

Person variation > bottle variation IMO. But it's pretty hard to determine when you think about it.

fmccormi likes this.
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Yes it has an effect, but it's inevitable. And considering all the people reviewing a given beer under a countless array of circumstances, I think this effect is mostly negated. What you end up with is an aggregate rating/description of the beer.

TheDayIsMine likes this.
  4. headbucket

headbucket Savant (265) Ohio Oct 30, 2007

With my mouth, when i feel like it.

No but seriously i let it warm up and take my time if reviewing otherwise i drink as i see fit to satisfy my thirst that day.

5. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I had a Bell's Hell Hath No Fury and didn't even like it until the last 25% of the glass.

tarawho likes this.
  6. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I drink my beer at night, in a Duvel tulip and don't eat anything with it. I'm not a big fan of mixing food and beer.

5thOhio, dianimal, buddha5050 and 2 others like this.
  7. WoodburyMN

WoodburyMN Savant (340) Indiana Aug 5, 2012

After dinner beer sesh.

8. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Is my damn business! :p

5thOhio likes this.
  9. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

i like my beer to warm up a bit for the flavors to come out more, if its a stout or porter i like it almost room temp. I never go through a beer fast then make a rating on it, thats just not fair to the beer...CHEERS

10. Most beer usually from a stout tulip.

If it's a whalezbro, markintihar it right from the bottle.

If it's a shitty beer, I funnel it straight to the dome.

slim2043, FosterJM and ehammond1 like this.
  11. sfsean28

sfsean28 Savant (390) New Jersey Dec 17, 2008

I drink them all day long and usually from a glass. A special beer or a first time try,I would prepare for it. I need to focus and concentrate on the first impression.

12. One sip at a time.

13. Thanks for this reply. Makes total sense...

seplo likes this.
  14. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Wait, I just had dinner with Markintihar and Ehammond1. I thought markintiharing is a WhalesBro alone in CBS snifter filled to the brim? Am I doing it wrong?

Cheers!

ehammond1 likes this.
  15. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

no problem man, dont be afraid to rate the beers you drink, not everyone is going to agree with your rating anyways. I also take in account the styles i dont like, for example im not into belgians yet,so i dont give them a 2 cuz i dont like the style, i rate them as far as the ones i had and i also look at the ratings before hand and read some of the reviews from big belgian fans....hope this helps too....CHEERS

16. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

If I'm sipping it slowly that means it doesn't taste good enough to quaff

17. I drink my beers with gusto.

jazzyjeff13 and hopsbreath like this.
  18. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Don't believe what you hear from the outside world. You just had dinner with the MarkIntihar himself!

FosterJM likes this.
  19. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Yeah (Chest puffing out) I had dinner with Markintihar!!! F YEAH!!!

Cheers!

ehammond1 likes this.
  20. I never rate beer with food. Far too many variables with spices, being full and stuff. I only rate when I have time to kill to really apprieciate and observe the beer the way it was meant to be enjoyed... at least by me. I probably spend more time sniffing, swirling the glass and rolling the beer around in my mouth to pick up all the nuances and develop memories of other experiences/flavors/tastes so that I can fully describe what I'm enjoy (or not enjoying). I generally wont review more than two BIG beers in a night either.

21. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

In a glass, and like Mr. Thick, never with food when I'm evaluating the stuff. I gotta have a glass, and I like to start it cold, the glass I mean, and then let the tasting travel through a range of temperatures as it warms up. And, I want a glass I can plunge my nose into...that being the most critical part.

22. If the brewer recommends drinking it at a certain temp I take their word for it and will do my best to try it at that temp for my first sip ( mostly if I'm trying a beer for the first time). After that I'm familiar with the taste I am more likely to just drink it straight out of the fridge maybe letting it rest for a few minutes. But if your not trying to discover and subtle nuances in the flavor just go with your personal preference. I always remind myself

Its easier and takes less time to wait for a chilled beer to warm up then it is to cool it down again because it wasn't chilled enough. (In general) unless you pouring room temp beers in alaska then taking it outside lol

23. If I'm in a situation that I know I will be rushed/socializing/drinking out of a frosted glass/what have you, I will just note that I need to re-review this beer.

I take my time when reviewing the beer, and will note what flavors change as the beer warms/is exposed to air longer.

24. Trentsteel

Trentsteel Disciple (65) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Sometimes I like to beer bong my whales. If not, play beer pong with it.

25. You'd be crazy if you didn't

shawnp likes this.
  26. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Depends on the style for me. I'll sip a stout, pound a bitter, crush a Helles and gradually consume an IPA/DIPA.

27. I drink my beers in an isolation chamber.

5thOhio, ChanChan and TheDayIsMine like this.
  28. Bucket or funnel. Whichever is close by...

29. Ratings? We don't need your stinkin' ratings.

30. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Ratings and ranking aren't nearly as important as everyone gives them credit for.

franklinn and RochefortChris like this.
  31. I normally use my mouth, but snorting it isnt out of the question.

5thOhio likes this.
  32. I always make sure I have the proper type of glass for the style of beer. If it's a beer I've never tried before, I make sure I have a clean pallet. I then take my time smelling and looking at it through light before I start drinking it to examine the complexities and different flavor notes. If I have had it before, then I'll experiment with pairing it with food.

33. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Does the human condition affect the human perspective? Hopefully.

5thOhio likes this.
  34. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 24, 2011

2 @ a time

franklinn likes this.
  35. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Pretty much. I've reviewed one beer... Then I realized no one really cares what I think of a beer, so I stopped :D

No disrespect to the folks who have tons of reviews and do so for their own pleasure, I totally get that. It's just not for me

brewbetter likes this.
  36. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Somebody needs a hug

franklinn likes this.
  37. I only drink beers in my hyperbolic drinking chamber at 280 degrees Kelvin

I've noticed beers taste different when I'm watching Oprah though.

RochefortChris likes this.
  38. I just had a Sam Adams Winter Lager. It was great!! Then I had another, and it was just "ok". Then I had a third, and it was about a D+. Feel me on this? You get the picture. Uh, I think...

39. I drink them straight out the secondary fermentor to make sure I have my IPA's as fresh as possible to give it a fair rating...you feel me?

5thOhio likes this.
  40. Solution: only have a beer once ;)