1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How You Drink Your Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beertsipper, Nov 5, 2012.

1. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I normally try to take my time with the beer im drinking. This is usually harder for me to do with ipas and wheats...but i still try.
  2. hoosier222002

hoosier222002 Savant (420) Illinois May 23, 2008

I like to follow my rating system...how much do I like it and/or would I have it again. I know a lot of members like to review beers and I respect that. In terms of drinking a beer, I try my best to have it out of the proper glassware.
  3. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (315) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

same here if I am rating a beer I drink them around the same time of night and nothing to else to influence my senses
  4. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Yeah that's the only way to do it if you ask me. I usually wait an hour after eating before I rate a beer or even drink a beer
    buddha5050 likes this.
  5. I basically use beer as a nightcap and enjoy one a day or so, so basically I sip and enjoy. Unless it's something relatively "light" like a belgian wheat or saison or whatever, then I may put down a couple and sip more vigorously.
  6. I don't get it.
  7. I just meant that many factors come into play such as freshness, therefore it is impossible to give a true unbiased rating. I do not personally rate beer since I find my appreciation for them is ever changing... The secondary fermentor drinking was a joke to say I drink my IPA's as fresh as possible which is why I enjoy homebrewing! This gives me a never ending fresh IPA supply
  8. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

It tastes like money, which tastes like cocaine, which tastes like burning baby powder, which tastes like pavement, which means you are getting curb stomped, which means you like American History X, which means you dislike Salma Hayek, which means your opinion is void. 8 degrees of Oprah Winfrey.
  9. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I don't rate beers because I'm not a professional judge. I do buy beers or seek them out based on the BA averages and whether or not they are being talked about.
  10. I almost always drink my beer in a glass, and the proper one if possible. I always do this if I'm reviewing the beer and/or if it's the first time I'm experiencing the brew. You always get the best impression of the beer I find....color, carbonation after pouring, temperature changes etc.

It's perfectly fine to enjoy a beer in a bottle or can however, and I do from time to time....but only if I've had it before, or if it's something easily available that I can go to the store and pick up again to enjoy the way I prefer.
  11. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

1.What ever glass I use I make sure its a clean glass, spots and water are pet peeves of mine!!
    2. I like to wait till after dinner but I also love to pair certain beer with certain meals!!
    3.Like George Thorogood I drink alone with nobody else cause most of the world's people do not appreciate sitting down and obsessing over a nice brewed ale!!
    4.Unless its a very special brew I also pair my beer with a nice hand-rolled cigar!!
    buddha5050 likes this.
  12. MikeCactusGordon

MikeCactusGordon Savant (490) Ohio Feb 20, 2011

Well done

::stands up and starts slow clap::