1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hudson Liquor stores

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by travdawg7, Feb 11, 2013.

1. travdawg7

travdawg7 Zealot (85) Minnesota Mar 5, 2009

We are going to Wisconsin Dells next week and will be driving through Hudson. Which Liquor store should i stop at? I have heard of Casanovas and Chicones. I know Casanovas has growler fills. Would i bring my own growler or do you have to buy one from them?
  2. bring your own from whichever brewery you want and they will fill it. I think casanovas is better myself, lots of good stuff.
  3. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Stop by Chicone's first and get what you want. Then go to Casanova's for stuff Chicone's might not have and,your growler fills.
    hardy008 likes this.
  4. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

My vote goes to Casanovas, great store all around. Had some poor customer service experiences in the past at Chicone's although their prices are a bit lower than Casanovas.
  5. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Only been to the Nova but never felt the need to really go elsewhere. Haven't been to Chicone's but it always gets mentioned when this topic comes up.
  6. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Chicone's usually has better prices, Casanova's tends to have better selection. I would say go to both.
    gatornation and HomeBrewed like this.
  7. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (525) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

I usually swing by both Chicone's and Casanova. Casanova gets a lot more of the seasonal and limited stuff, but they also go through it much quicker than Chicone's. I've often found things at Chicone's after they're gone from Casanova.

But Casanova also has the wine bar. Fantastic beers on tap, and very good food in my experience.
  8. knelson

knelson Aficionado (115) Wisconsin Nov 23, 2010

Casanova's for sure
  9. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

Nova and Chicones are the best beer stores, but the other non-craft stores in town seem to have the best prices on standard NG and CW stuff.
  10. Otis32

Otis32 Aficionado (135) Minnesota Jan 1, 2011

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Am heading to WI on short notice today and looking to maybe catch a growler fill of TG at Casanovas on the way back tomorrow. Don't currently own a growler so can a guy buy one at Casanova for them to fill?

Also anything else interesting I should look for while in the neighborhood? Will likely stop at Chicones too.

Thanks
  11. you can buy one, or I will be on the road all over the TC's, so if you wanna meet I can give you one of mine. Glass is 7 bucks at the Nova
  12. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Is it really 7 bucks? I havent purchased a growler in years, but isnt Town Hall $3 for glass? $7 seems crazy
  13. Otis32

Thanks for the information, Lobo.

Also thank you the for the awesome offer on the growler. Unfortunately I'm headed east and with purpose here shortly so will have to pass it up. Good people on this board.
  14. would you mind posting what growler fills are on at nova? I have the day off and might have to go there.
  15. Otis32

Will do but I won't be catching a growler until late tomorrow afternoon on my way back into MN.
  16. No worries, ended up getting a ton of illumination instead.
  17. I was butt hurt with Nova today. They have done me right so many times, but today I checked the growler list and drove up there planning on getting a G-nug fill and a flying dog galaxy fill. Both were out, the g-nug had been wiped off
    The list but the other one was still displayed as available. They had no shame in telling me they were gone but didn't jump and wipe em off the list... No prob, KCCO right? Then they didn't have NG thumbprint IIPA, but an employee told me the winter warmer was almost the same beer. WTF!! I swallowed my pride, bought a growler of my least favorite TG brew (Dorothy) and drove over to MN for abrasive. Will I shop there again? Shit yes. Will I most definitely call to verify growler list before
    Making the trek? You bet.
  18. that is exactly why I wanted someone to post what they had on, too lazy to call.
  19. Otis32

That sucks. Really wanted to try a fresh TG brew but not at all enthused about the Lager. Maybe they bale me out and tap a new keg before I get there.
  20. I think the TG kegs might be sparse until the new production brewery is in full swing, probably a month or so(hearsay)
  21. doucmehu

doucmehu Savant (390) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

Regarding Casanova:

The TG GN must have kicked when I drank it all.... They should keep getting kegs on a regular basis though. I haven't seen one kick in less than a week (ZeeLander was close).

Also, I have had very few experiences with their growler list being out of date, and I shop there fairly often. As far as service, they are definitely not all beer geeks, but there are more now than in the past.
  22. I drive 45 minutes to go there on a routine basis, and will continue to do so. They have a great selection and the growler setup is badass. I will just call before going in the future.
  23. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

The G-Nug kicked Monday morning when I was there. Had to "settle" for a Deviant Dale instead. Also grabbed some green flash west coast IPA and Racer 5 so life is good.
    minnesotaryan likes this.
  24. life is hard.
    Ish1 likes this.
  25. pardon me while I step up on my soap box, but .........THEY FILL FRICKIN GROWLERS!!! and THEY ARE LESS THAN 45 MINUTES FROM THE TWIN CITIES!!! Half the nation can't get growler fills, much less go to a liquor store that has different distro than you that are 45 MINUTES APART!!! Yes, it sucks that dreams weren't fullfilled, yes it sucks that the staff didn't update the boar as fast as they do. But have you realized that most of the staff goes back and forth from the restaurant and the package store??? So applaud what you have, yes you didn't get the beer you specifically went there to get. But did you get a beer you wanted? beer you couldnt get in Minnesota? So celebrate the fact you received beer out of your distro area, and try something new on tap. I have never been turned down when asked to try what beer they had on tap.
    Chaz, knelson and minnesotaryan like this.
  26. Amen to that. IMO the New Glarus, Green Flash, and Three Floyds offerings alone make it worth the trip. The growlers are just icing on the cake.

They do post the growler board on twitter prety regularly, but an advance call is always worthwile if you are making the drive for something specific.
  27. Ish1

Even harder...knowing I will be going thru Decorah twice over Easter weekend!
  28. Brandon-
    Thanks for putting stuff in perspective. Once again!
  29. incutrav

One of the benefits of living in the east metro. Hudson is 10 minutes away, Heritage is 10 minutes away and Dennis Bros is 10 min. away(which may actually be the best beer store in the state).

Side note, how much is Green Flash IPA ? Not sure if they have it bomber only, or 4pks too?
    whudathunkett likes this.
  30. $5 bomber
  31. incutrav

What was the bottle date? I recall looking at some bottles when they first got them in, and they were bottled in September.

Side, side, note: Are the 4pk bottles 16oz format?
  32. Nooe
  33. Ish1

They had both bombers and 4pk 12oz. I wanna say the 4pk was 7.99, but don't quote me. coulda been 9.99. Things got a little foggy after drinking those growlers at the Dells...

Bottle date of BO 1/21 for the West Coast IPA
  34. incutrav

On the topic of Hudson, there is a Groupon out currently for American Sky brewery. Looks like the Hanger taproom has a good number of varying styles. I tried singles of their bottles stuff a while back, not bad, but unimpressive styles in general. My brother in law was there a couple months ago and said it was packed, and he had a coffee stout that was quite tasty. Hard to believe sometimes there are non-BA folk that pack places like this on a regular basis!

http://www.groupon.com/deals/americ...n=american-sky-beer-by-hudson-brewing-company
    Chaz likes this.
  35. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

It's not that hard to believe if you consider what you know:
    Based on my read of the place, the styles they brew are classic 'training wheels Micros' (to use a 1990s Micro-era geezer's vernacular). In other words, while the styles on offer won't impress anyone with decades of dabbling and home-brewing under their belt, your average beer drinker rather enjoys an Amber Ale or Kolsch-style/Golden Ale on occasion -- brewpub chains go some way toward proving that. ;)

With live music and approachable styles, it's easy to see why American Sky would get packed (check out their Facebook photos) on occasion.

P.S. A lot going on in Hudson: The Nova, American Sky, a brewpub penciled-in for the old Dibbo's space, Pitchfork ... it's really in-line with all the other BIPs going on in the region.
    incutrav likes this.
  36. American Sky is good and getting better if you ask me. Their regular lineup appeals to the locals that like to go have approachable beers and the experience of drinking at their town brewery. Their one offs and other once in a while beers coupled with their firkin they have on Fridays appeal to the ones more into craft beer and looking for bigger and better. They are hitting both sides of that pretty good now. Greg, the owner, is almost always there during tap room hours talking with folks and sharing new beer samples and a great guy. Its a good atmosphere and like mentioned above they get in some quality live music. Pitchfork sounds like its going to be some good competition which I think will only help both places out. Not a bad time to be living in Hudson if you love good beer.
    knelson and Chaz like this.
  37. doucmehu

doucmehu Savant (390) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

I highly recommend American Sky if you are area when the taproom is open, if not for anything else but to support a great beer-loving brewer. They generally have a couple of fun brews on tap alongside the amber and the blond, like dry hopped pale ales, IPA, infused stouts, etc.

I am biased though, check me out on their Facebook page - I won a growler in a taproom drawing, and then a T-Shirt for the growler pic!
    https://www.facebook.com/AmericanSkyBeer?ref=ts&fref=ts
  38. tgchief

tgchief Savant (305) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

Yup. But give us a little time and we will shine! Bottled on our new line today for the first time. And we are trying to push out the IPAs as fast as the hop producers can grow them!

Will also have a MN dist by fall.

Cheers
    doucmehu, Ish1, Cyclone8 and 3 others like this.
  39. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!