1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Humidity Control

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by PortLargo, Jan 11, 2013.

1. PortLargo

PortLargo Savant (375) Florida Oct 19, 2012

I finally took the plunge and in process of converting a chest freezer. I thought I would add a layer of diamond-plate to the floor to protect against dings and dents. Then I noticed that would cover the drain plug, but realized it will be almost impossible to access the drain when the freezer is full.

What is conventional wisdom for extracting moisture? Do most people use chemicals, EVA DRY, or ? I live in south Florida where the humidity varies between very-high to you-gotta-be-kidding-high. Is the diamond-plate overkill?

Would appreciate input from anyone that has been down this road.
  2. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

diamond plate is kickass and serious overkill. most of us do not worry too much about the floor of the keezer, though if you can lift a 160 pound half barrel into the keezer it certainly is possible to bang up your appliance.

moisture is not as much as a problem with a kegerator as with food. the door is opened very infrequently, there is zero moisture in the food (no lettuce or cheese) and water is not a general consideration. so.fla may be different...

maybe a cut piece of pressure treated panel with a cutout for the drain? you might be able to keep a small drain open at all times too. many upright fridges do not have a plug, just a small hole and tube.
    Cheers
  3. Unfortunately I have had the opposite experience. I have had a fair amount of moisture in my Keezer, causing a minimal amount of rust on the inside of the unit. I have an EVA DRY unit in there now that doesn't seem to be doing much good. I have also tried adding a computer fan to move the air around and that hasn't helped either.
  4. Humidity can be a big problem. Mold becomes an issue very quickly - bottles, 6-pack holders, etc. Make sure it's sealed well. I added silicone to all the holes where beer/gas lines pass through. Make sure the door/lid gasket is sound. I also use Damp-Rid. It collects maybe a cup of water per week. One a month, I wipe down all the interior surfaces, then spray with a 3:1 mixture of household bleach (3 parts water, one part bleach).

BTW, I don't live in Fla.
  5. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I use damp rid, but I also clean the seals with alcohol. You don't want any residue on your seals, no crumbs, no oily dirty hands. Any debris can open a little path in.
    PJHealy likes this.