Hunahpu Day 2016

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by newbrews, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbrews

newbrews Zealot (626) Jul 24, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Posted on FB :

The 7th Annual Hunahpu's Day® is Saturday, March 12, 2016.

For the first time in its storied history, Hunahpu's Day® will be held offsite away from our brewery, at Cotanchobee Fort Brooke Park in beautiful Downtown Tampa, Florida. A huge thanks to the City of Tampa and the Tampa Downtown Partnership for working with us on this!

Many more details to follow. Stay tuned!

2. bryanole27

bryanole27 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2011 North Carolina

My favorite festival in existence! Putting it on the calendar...

3. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

Dammit this seems like it would be a perfect time to visit @MHorridge, but with my first child due in January I doubt this would be a good idea lol.

stdaniel and The_FishermanJay like this.
  4. FSUlaw-and-brew

FSUlaw-and-brew Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2015 Florida

i wonder how many people this will allow, funky buddha is doing 4,000... which seems like an enormous amount of people.

#4 FSUlaw-and-brew, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  5. Lapalou

Lapalou Pundit (856) Dec 21, 2014 Florida
    Trader

It could hold a bunch, big area, not sure how they will close this off but a great spot along the river. I think there have been other beer fests here before. I assume the venue will add to the cost, but it will be worth it

gjoker321 likes this.
  6. FSUlaw-and-brew

FSUlaw-and-brew Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2015 Florida

Well, $350 for a fest & four bottles... NBD

7. mjk91383

mjk91383 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 South Carolina

already booked my hotel room!

8. bparker551

bparker551 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

Damn hotels are expensive. Any locals know the best places to stay for this location?

9. MagicAmy

MagicAmy Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2015 Florida

OH!!! This was the festival I went to last year! It was a lot of fun even though it was crowded. Glad to see they are doing in (what I assume is) a bigger venue.

Tickets were pretty steep last year, good thing my husband will be paying for this!

10. TrapJaw77

TrapJaw77 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

me too!

11. The_FishermanJay

The_FishermanJay Pundit (936) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

C'mon down, brother! She'll understand. This event is MONTHS after the baby is born.

Kidding. Your thinking is right on target.

Iamjeff6 likes this.
  12. antilite

antilite Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2012 Florida

Fri, Mar 11, Flyers at Lightning, 7:30. Walk to everything from the Marriott. $$$$$$. Just checked their site. $299 per night, 2 ppl.

13. The_FishermanJay

The_FishermanJay Pundit (936) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

If cost isn't an object, the Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel is RIGHT there and the Embassy Suites by Hilton Tampa Downtown is a block away. The Westin Tampa Harbour Island is a stone's throw and the Hilton Tampa Downtown, Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk and Aloft Tampa Downtown are a short walk. Still downtown -- longer walks or maybe hotel-shuttle rides -- are Le Meridien, Courtyard Tampa Downtown, Residence Inn Tampa Downtown and The Barrymore Hotel.

The park is on the south side of Amalie Arena (where the Tampa Bay Lightning play) between the Marriott Waterside and the Tampa Bay History Center. The Florida Craft Brewers Guild Fest has been there; it's a terrific location.

If the hotels I've listed are too expensive and/or booked, just find something you like out near the Westshore Business District and hop an Uber into downtown. There may be less-expensive options in the Busch Gardens/USF area of north Tampa, though it can be sketchy up that way. (There's a Hilton within walking distance of CCB and a new hotel -- can't remember its name; don't know its opening date -- going up right next to it.)

eppie82, bparker551 and Hopzilla like this.
  14. DevzFan15

DevzFan15 Aspirant (251) Apr 27, 2010 Georgia

Anyone interested in carpooling from around the Atlanta area?

15. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Grand Pooh-Bah (3,096) May 7, 2015 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Already booked my Designated Driver!!

mjk91383 likes this.
  16. zac16125

zac16125 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,358) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My least favorite festival in existence. Putting it on my calendar so I can be sure to avoid.

LeeEvolved and Lare453 like this.
  17. jstout26

jstout26 Zealot (690) May 30, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Why would you even put it on your calendar then? Is there a chance you'll just happen into downtown Tampa to the riverfront park from South Carolina on that day? Odd.

18. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Grand Pooh-Bah (3,096) May 7, 2015 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wow, I would love to see what else you have on your calendar.

19. Dizzydsmith

Dizzydsmith Zealot (548) Jan 17, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

I have a feeling this year will be much bigger with the change in venue. I hope that isn't the case, as the festival was much improved last year with less tickets and a higher cost. I hope it trends more toward last year than other previous years. I've been the past 2 years, but will probably pass if there are a ton of tickets.

20. Mississipping

Mississipping Pundit (919) Mar 16, 2010 Minnesota

Oddly enough, this happened to me in 2009 for the first Hunahpu release. I was visiting my grandmother at her retirement home in Largo and happened into Cigar City on the day of the very first release. The guy at the counter told me I should buy this bottle of beer that was supposed to be one of the best beers in the world. I asked how much it was and was told $20. Not knowing much about the craft beer industry at that point, my internal response was f**k you. I kindly left without a bottle.

That evening, we played bingo at the retirement home and I told my wife if I won $20 we were going back for a bottle. I ended up winning over $40 (the other residents were not fond of me after this), so we went back the next day and picked up two bottles. No crowds, no lines, no limits, but I didn't realize what I had. I opened the first bottle and thoroughly enjoyed; the second kicked off what has become a 6-year trading frenzy.

All of this to say, I suppose wandering in could happen. I had an unexpectedly fun time in 2009, but would never attend an event of the magnitude it's arisen to to get a bottle of Hunahpu.

CaptainFleeker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.