1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hunahpu Day

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by jriggins6, Jan 4, 2013.

1. jriggins6

jriggins6 Savant (340) Colorado May 18, 2011

I am coming down to Tampa that day of March 9. Any idea of what the latest time to get there and get my hands on a bottle? I know the release is an all day affair, just hope to be able to grab one or 2

2. Impossible to predict. Every year these things get crazier and crazier, and I'm sure some assholes will start camping. Based on last year, I would estimate about 9:00am, but like I said, last year.

3. jloomis

jloomis Savant (280) Florida Jan 6, 2010

We got there at 9:30 last year (earliest ever) and were fine, buy as bryanole27 stated every year is a bit crazier so who knows. In the years before there was beer the next day (but not 2012). I personally am hoping/pleading that we don't start the camping out overnight hoopla and hysteria, and people just start getting there in the morning a few hours before the event starts. As stated numerous times in threads regarding this day: just show up and enjoy the festivities you will have some great beers, a fun time, and Hunahpu is on tap all day, so you will get to drink some no matter what. Enjoy.

kpanter likes this.
  4. DanimalFL

DanimalFL Aficionado (215) Florida Mar 15, 2012

Cant wait to see how crazy this years Hunahpu day gets. There hasnt been any camping out in years past that I have seen. As long as you got there by 12-1pm you got a band last year. I suppose once it comes to the whole having to show up before dawn to get a band I will be skipping the fest and waiting for it to randomly come on tap during the year in the tasting room.

jloomis and bryanole27 like this.
  5. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I'm contemplating flying down for this...

6. Looks like its time to set up my tent in the middle of dale mabry, what could possible go wrong :confused:

7. shuajw

shuajw Savant (495) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

Everytime someone starts a new thread, you have to get there 15 minutes earlier!

luwak, xxcarpxx, Bung and 9 others like this.
  8. bdz

bdz Disciple (50) Florida Mar 29, 2012

No waaaay. I got there early last year, around 7am and had friends who came later probably around 1030-11 and they didn't get their bottles.

I was probably 35-40 in line at ~7ish am last year

9. I'm with you, once camping starts and all that other BS, that's my queue to bow out. My all-time favorite beer, but not worth that kind of hassle. I'm too old for that crap...lol.

I don't think that will happen though.

10. But what if you like camping and beer and are looking to combine the two, granted urban camping doesn't sound like that much fun ;)

Bluecane likes this.
  11. You can like it all you want, just not at Hunahpu day:p

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  12. DanimalFL

My buddy got his wrist band around noon. Maybe he had to dole out some HJs behind the port o potty, but im pretty sure he got it at the gate. Dont know, dont really care when everyone else gets their wrist bands.

bdz likes this.
  13. Yeah I think I'm gonnna make the trip for the 1st time this year.
    I've only ever had it once a few years ago (had a 2010 in 2011) but I still remember.......
    Driving down from NC so it'll be a bit of a haul.
    Definitely getting a hotel room that night.

14. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

Just be like us locals and pass out in a nearby bush or shrub...

15. So I'm allowed to camp after hunahpu day but not before? This is all so confusing

bradcochran1234 and Bluecane like this.
  16. My group wandered in after noon some point as well and got wristbands. No HJ, BJ or any kind of J's needed. We do plan to be there earlier this year though because of how crazy everything craft beer has gotten the last few years.

jloomis and DanimalFL like this.
  17. I heard today that there will three different hunshpus! Decisions only only choosing two!

18. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Lol.

thecraftculture likes this.
  19. chronie

chronie Aficionado (180) Illinois Aug 1, 2011

Anyone here interested in a pre trade for some BCBS?

If not, any nice hotels around that area?

20. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Depending on how many I can get, I may be your huckleberry.

21. What does the hotel have to do with trading beer? Are you trying to trade beer for a room or couch to surf on? I'll trade a spot in my tent for some beer, all these other haters can pass out in a bush with the fire ants. You don't mind people who snore and have violent night terrors about the karate tournament they lost 20 years ago do you?

xxcarpxx likes this.
  22. BAstoutsNsours

He can find his own god damn bush, I'm not sharing.

23. zrab11

zrab11 Advocate (505) Indiana Dec 25, 2010

Prob. 5:30am.. as 2 years ago I went to KBS day and got there at 9am and was still about 1hr and 30min from missing out on a case.. this year i arrived at 5:30am and if they didn't split the case allotment up i would of missed out by about 10 plp or 15min.. Beer releases without ticket sells have gotten way to crazy for there own good.. and Hunaphu's is way better than KBS IMO but cigar city is also harder to get to then Founder's So good luck!

24. Finatic

Finatic Savant (300) Florida Jan 16, 2011

I got there last year around 9:30 AM and was probably 500th in line. Easily obtained a Huni wristband. I'm hoping this doesn't turn into an event where you have to be there at 3:00 AM just to enjoy drinking good beer and having a good time though I'm afraid that's the path were heading down here.

Here o_O is hoping I'm wrong......

Mjmoser and jloomis like this.
  25. BAstoutsNsours

I can tell you one thing, this thread certainly isn't helping the matter...

kpanter likes this.
  26. Maybe if we make it sound like too much of a hassle no one will go and we can capture all the Huna for ourselves

27. DanimalFL

This shit is getting real. Anyone want to do an IP trade when I put up my tent the day before Hunahpu day? ISO: bug spray, space ice cream. FT: Toilet paper, wizard staff made out of jai alai cans.

28. Wizard staff you say...

Also, I think some of us are forgetting that CCB has expanded production by a pretty big margin over the last year, plus they also expanded the tasting room for additional space. I would wager, hopefully, that Hunahpu's production level is up from last year. Also, they had left over bottles after all the wristbands picked up their 2 beers each at the end of the night... Just sayin'.

29. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (395) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

You weinie, just drive with me, granted you will have to stop at bottle shops up and down the route....

chronie likes this.
  30. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (325) Florida Jan 26, 2012

hope they have more johns this year. bring sunscreen a chair and water and a good vibe. fun will be had

31. SDean82

SDean82 Aficionado (170) Florida Nov 5, 2012

From what I heard is if you want your bottles you need to be there early (I'm planning on getting there around 5/530), if you are just interested in getting a band and not interested in a bottle then obviously later then that will be fine.

32. Wristband = guaranteed bottles. You can go and hang out and drink great beers and I believe they give a separate wristband to just show you're 21, but otherwise as long as you get one, your bottles are guaranteed as of last year.

33. RayUF07

RayUF07 Advocate (635) Florida Sep 22, 2012

I'll be there to grab my 2 bottles, can't wait.

34. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010