1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hunahpu release question

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by mhenson42, Nov 9, 2012.

1. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I'm thinking about going to the Hunahpu release in March. I'm coming from Texas.

What bottle limit do they typically have? Will they have BA versions availabke in bottles or draft? Is this something I need to be camping out in line the night before to make sure I get some?

Thanks

2. I know the bottle limit is 2-4 bottles per person.

3. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Given the shit show from last year I don't think you can really tell unless you've talked with one of the brewers. It was 4 last year, then this year 3 but they reduced it to 2 because they underestimated how many people would travel to show up just for that. They did expand so who knows but I think the attendance increases exponentially and they haven't got it quite down yet.

4. The bottle number should be nearly double last year's, but currently the limit will remain at 2 per person. Brewery rep gave that info last week. Naturally, they'll announce any change or confirmation of that.

5. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Cool. What do they generally have on tap on the day of the event? Any special brews? How early do I need to be there. Is there a BA bottle share?

6. cpinto6

Awesome shit, that's why more and more people go every year. They have a really good relationship with FFF so they have some BA DLs and stuff and a guy from Miami usually brews sours that are really good. If Huna wasn't my favorite beer I'd still go just for the tap list. I didn't go last year though and I heard because they didn't expect that many people it was a shit show and you didn't know what you were gonna get by the time you got to the front of the line. Hopefully they can figure out how to streamline it better this time.

7. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Savant (485) Ohio Jun 18, 2003

Huna 2012 was almost perfect and the word is out. I expect a much larger crowd and hope CCB is planning accordingly. Who can beat the sun and warmth of FLA in March, Huna and an awesome tap list?

8. cpinto6

J Wakefield is the Miami brewer I was talking about. His sours are fucking awesome and going to Hunahpus is pretty much the only way to try them.

flipdog0 and sendsilk like this.
  9. He does other festivals in FL throughout the year. He's also opening up a brewery next year, so more Wakefield for everyone!

10. cpinto6

Yea I know, I was talking more for people flying in to FL for beer which is usually Hunahpus. He also does tap takeovers in bars in Miami and yea I'm excited about that. I'll have access to his brewery and Funky Buddha's which should be operational in a couple months:)

11. jloomis

jloomis Savant (315) Florida Jan 6, 2010

I have to say (and I have been the past two years and the BA release) that Hunahpu's day this year was far, far, far from a "sh#@t storm". Did CCB lower the bottle limit initially from 3 to 2? Yes and that allowed far more people to get bottles, I would say smart decision. Was the line to get in line long? Of course it was, however, if you were there before 11 (when the event started) you got your wristbands and therefore your bottles. Moreover, later in the day they allowed for people to buy extra bottles (but yes you needed to be at the front of that line, and they went quick). Were their long lines for many of the more limited drafts? Yes, but there is at any large event. And no matter what you were treated to some great beers all day long. Sure it was crowded, but it was not wall to wall pandemonium. I really have no idea what people expect from a brewery during these releases, but we as the public do need to be aware that any large release like this is going to involve waiting in lines so embrace it, have a drink, hang out with people, meet some new people, and enjoy the experience.

To the OP, no one really knows the bottle limits it is still six months away. But I will tell you this, it is a fun time.

AlexFields, jgagne, vapodge and 3 others like this.
  12. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (850) Florida Feb 27, 2005

bradcochran1234 and hopsbreath like this.
  13. Maybe you can talk Johnathan Wakefield into brewing a Clamato-based Berliner Weisse.

hopsbreath likes this.
  14. sendsilk

sendsilk Advocate (500) Florida Aug 31, 2007

Already on it......and I'll be bringing some bud Chelada to share as well.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  15. polisanl

polisanl Savant (260) Florida Aug 6, 2010

No and HELL no...

CaptCleveland likes this.
  16. vapodge

vapodge Aficionado (225) Florida Nov 24, 2009

I was at the same three. BA was a mess. The other two, great. Come in a group/make some friends and get in different lines. Make new friends in line and share a bottle. Then go back to a base camp and share all the beers you all just got. That recipe worked beautifully for me last year.

Bring sunblock. Seriously.

jgagne, bryanole27 and jloomis like this.
  17. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Savant (485) Ohio Jun 18, 2003

vapodge hit it.
    Our group opened bottles and shared with some Orlando BAs who "camped" next to us. Pour a glass, wait in line, talk about beer and what we are going to try next.
    Bring chairs, sunscreen, water, bottles to share.
    Get in line early and hit Pegs the night before. Or better yet, come down and enjoy Tampa Beer week a few days prior to the Huna release.

jloomis likes this.
  18. badbeer

badbeer Savant (470) Iowa Jun 19, 2005

19. I actually thought it was a shit show too, but I won't rip it cause I know most people will disagree.

Pegs on the other hand, that was a blissful event.

20. hoppy99

hoppy99 Aficionado (195) Florida Feb 28, 2009

It it's looking like it will be blissful again this year.

21. TheMonkery

TheMonkery Aficionado (180) Florida Dec 16, 2010

Last year the bottle limit was 2 per person, but once the event died down around 7 pm, any extra bottles were put up for sale. My friends and I had a blast all day (we got there around 9am to get spots outside) and then we waited in line at the end of the night and ended up getting 4 bottles each. Once people get there 2 bottle guarantee with the gold band, they let you buy as many as you wanted (which was really awesome). I had an unbelievable time last year and plan to make it an annual get together with my old college buddies. The stuff last year from Funky Buddha and Jon Wakefield was incredible. Also seeing all that FFF stuff and CCB one-offs was a real treat.

Plus attendees (myself included) often bring coolers filled with homebrew and other rare finds to share. I had a bunch of homebrew and even got the chance to try Sexual Chocolate from some random who just opened a bottle and was walking around pouring for everyone. It was an amazing experience.

I think that Cigar City has done an amazing job over the last few years organizing this event. It was run really well last year (lines were long, but what do you expect with that many people), but they spread all the beer areas out and had the food trucks really spread out too to offer a lot to people in every area of CCB's compound. Don't be fooled, the food trucks that CCB gets have really great food too.

Overall, this event is highly recommended. I am glad I made the decision to go last year and I plan on doing it every year for the foreseeable future.

luwak and Finatic like this.
  22. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

This thread is reminding me to pull a few beers out of my fridge and start a Hunahpu's day box for sharing. Hope everybody likes PNW saisons and sours because that's what I'm bringing. Should be a blast. CAN'T WAIT!

23. jgagne

jgagne Savant (320) Kentucky Feb 23, 2011

Last year was amazing. Went to Pegs the night before, wonderful. Then got to the brewery around 5am. Was like the 15th person in line. Did a bunch of bottle sharing all morning, which was really great. Then got in and got a spot with my group. We hung out and drank a ton of amazing beer. Lines where long but I met a bunch of really cool people in line, and alot of the time people where sharing bottles as we waitied for amazing beers like oak aged DL and Whiskey BA Hunah. It was really a great event. I suggest every BA to go.

24. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

what time should you arrive to get in line? i just found out i have a hotel friday-sunday for a football clinic and plan on waking up saturday to come grab my bottles..probably wont be able to stay long but definitely plan on getting there and curious...these clinics tend to go late and the "hospitality rooms" are pretty sweet with free beer and liquor, as well as food.

25. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (415) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

You realize you do not just "grab bottles" right? You get a bracelet and then they actually sell the bottles very late in the day.

HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  26. Yeah bracelets were done at 10:00am, but bottles didn't start until 4pm. It's a full day.

27. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

yes i know you dont just wait in line to purchase them, but did not realize the bottles were not available for purchase until so late in the afternoon. thanks for the heads up.

28. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

robinsmv likes this.
  29. gunhaver

gunhaver Savant (455) Florida May 27, 2007

no information has been revealed yet.

30. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (415) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

OK, that is a fair response. Let me correct myself.

Better?

31. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

So my buddy and I just decided we're going this year for sure. Need suggestions for nearest possible motel/hotel.
    Any other advice will be appreciated.

We will be bringing West Coast goodies. Hope to see some of you there.

32. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

There is a Howard Johnson, probably within walking distance on Dale Mabry, but I can only judge it by its exterior and its a little rough. Otherwise there are quite a few within 5 - 10 minutes drive on Westshore Blvd that would probably all be a lot nicer. All of the hotels around that area probably pick up and drop off at Tampa International Airpot, seeing as how close it is.

Hell, there is also a Total Wine and a Whole Food market right in that same general area that both stock a good selection of bottles if you are looking to do some picking while here.

luwak likes this.
  33. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

Just pass out in the parking lot of CCB or in some nearby bushes, thats what us locals do :)

beernads likes this.
  34. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (560) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

So just found out there's like a 75% chance I'll be able to swing this trip.

Are the draft pours full 12-16oz pours? Honestly I'd rather they not so I have a chance to try more stuff.

Also, do the hotels in the area have a 2 night minimum or anything? I'd rather just sleep in the car in the parking lot, but I'll be bringing my SO and the only way she's going to agree to waking up early as hell so I can get beer is if she got some sleep in a hotel.

EDIT: Will they also have other bottles/growlers/glassware available for sell?

35. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

Draft pours are more like 5-8 oz pours, depending on the brew.

Not sure about the hotels since I'm local I've never stayed at any of them, but I would guess with the proximity of CCB to the airport that most of the hotels will not have a minimum 2 night stay, unless of course they realize there is going to be high demand for rooms due to the Hunahpu's event and want to take advantage of that...

They will definitely have glassware and other swag for sale. Not sure if they'll have any bottles other than Hunahpu's. For the 2012 release they did not allow growler fills due to the general craziness. I'm assuming it will be the same this year.

luwak and Zach136 like this.
  36. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (560) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

Thanks man!

37. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Rocky point Hyatt is awesome! One of the nicest hotels on this side of the bay. Also close

luwak likes this.
  38. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Thanks for the hotel info, folks.
    I used to try to stay in nicer places when i traveled to see a show or got to a festival (music or beer) but ive found that id rather just be close and not have to drive... and i always spend a lot on stuff to bring back..
    With that said, is the Rocky Point Hyatt a short cab ride? i tis possible i may stay a few more days. What are taxis in TPA area like? hard to get. Or will they post up at CCB knowing about the demand?

Also and more inportant: once in can we leave and return later int he day?
    Im happy to get up at the asscrack of dawn to wait in a line but i may want to go eat or rest especially if it is hot....then come back and get the bottles and more drinks. Is that not gonna be allowed?

39. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Cabs are not too hard to come by in tampa. There are a lot of strip clubs with in a block of ccb and there are always a ton there.

Yes you can come in and out of huna day.

There are a lot of hotels that are closer to ccb, none within walking distance really though. At least not ones worth staying at.