1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hunahpu release question

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by mhenson42, Nov 9, 2012.

1. kempshark

kempshark Aficionado (140) Florida Jul 22, 2009

Thanks for the kind words.....I plan on making it to Hunaphu Day this year. If at all possible Josh will be accompying me again. Doubt if I will make it to Peg's the day before, but who know's. Really enjoyed chatting with you and sampling the small assortment of beers we brought with us. One of these times I (or we) will make it to one of the other tastings you guys organize (like at Cigar City), but I'm not sure what rare beers we will be able to obtain to bring along with us.
  2. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (500) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Good to ear from you again, It would be great to hook up and do a botle share at the Huna release.
    The CCB tasting went quite well with a dozen or so showing up, great crew of people and everyone had a good time. Everyone just brings what they have , no rares required. Will give you a shout when another gets set up.
  3. I will be flying down from Philly on Thursday and will be hitting Peg's on Friday and CCB on Saturday for the Huna release. I am looking forward to meeting some cool people and sharing some good brews.
    HighWine likes this.
  4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Pegs is going to be swamped. People thought the RareR DOS release was jammed up, wait for this.
  5. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

Hopefully we can get that deck reserved again...
  6. MarcatGSB

I got some buddies coming down, I'll make sure they bring a CW Fifteen with them for the crew to sample. Unfortunately I won't make it, but I'll send some beer your way!
    BAstoutsNsours likes this.
  7. djmichaelk

djmichaelk Savant (385) Florida Jul 6, 2008

Outside the initial rush and the line for growlers I thought the entire day was pretty relaxed, and the last year's pre-Huna was too. Comfortably full but not too bad.
  8. toofdoc

toofdoc Aficionado (240) New Mexico Jun 28, 2011

I didn't think it was that bad, but it seems as if the word is out and I'm expecting a cluster ****
  9. Arsenal0328

Arsenal0328 Savant (445) Missouri Dec 31, 2010

How would you go about parking? This will be my first time and I live about 45 minutes away so where do people normally park? I was thinking park over at International Plaza and it should only be a ~15 minute walk
  10. I will be able to make it after all :)
    Ravenacht likes this.
  11. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Yeah, I will be doing what I can to get to Peg's as well.
  12. BAstoutsNsours

Awesome, have them BM me so we can include them in a Pegs tasting if we can get a reservation for the deck again.
  13. jbear68

jbear68 Aficionado (180) Florida Sep 23, 2010

I can't wait for this day and the FL Brewers Guild Beerfest the weekend before (if they ever start to sell tickets for it)
  14. Ravenacht

Seems like those tickets might be hard to come by, but if you get one down a pint for us BA's who werent so lucky.
    jbear68 likes this.
  15. jbear68

jbear68 Aficionado (180) Florida Sep 23, 2010

Likewise my friend
  16. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

Beerfest tickets (held in Centro Ybor) haven't been that hard to come by the last few years, I've been the last 3 and bought tickets online no problem... Perhaps you're confusing Beerfest with the Brewers Ball? Those tickets are hard to come by.
  17. MarcatGSB

I personally thought the RareR DOS release went very well.
    However, there were a few people that didn't go, just because they "thought" it was going to be a cluster. They missed out.
    However, I made this statement based on two observations: Prior to travelling to Pegs, I was at the largest Four Elf party at Dark Horse to date. I've watched that party grow from 80 people arriving for bottles, to 180 people for bottles, to 456 people, just for bottles. This past year there were probably 700 people, up from around 150 three years ago, that just showed up for the party.
    With that said, that same crew that travel from Chicago to Marshall (about 3 hours) for events like that, were also at Central Waters for the Fifteen release (which is about 4 hours from Chicago) and a real good handful of my buddies already have plane tickets booked, hotel rooms rented, and cars ready to go. They plan on hitting Pegs the night before Hunna day...I would expect to see quite a few of us Midwesterners, much more than previous years. Just a fair warning to you folks that don't want to miss out on growler fills, etc. I hope it's a great event, and wish I could make it.
    I will definitely send some beers down that way for the tasting though, expect some CW Fifteen, BBBW, Peruvian Morning, Dark Horse BA Monster and BB Plead. Least I can do for all you friendly Florida folks that were generous enough to share so much with Kelly and I. Cheers!
    luwak likes this.
  18. kpanter

kpanter Aficionado (200) Florida Nov 25, 2012

I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of new people and people who love great beer. I'm a Tampa native, so it is a beautiful thing to see what CCB is doing. Cheers!
  19. I've heard from multiple people now that a lot more people are flying in from out of town. Quite frankly, it scares me. Hunahpu Day was awesome last year, but I really can't imagine 1000-2000 more people in the same space. I trust CCB will plan well, but I worry it'll be too crowded this year. Even if CCB lets people buy bottles of Huna right away (instead of waiting until later in the day), I still think most people would choose to stick around for the fest.
    kpanter likes this.
  20. moose3285

moose3285 Aficionado (215) Florida Jul 19, 2007

Hunahpu Day has grown exponentially in size each year. After last year I'm a little nervous about what it may be like this year.
  21. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (350) Florida Feb 2, 2010

I think this is the year where things go wrong because the event has gotten too popular. This seems to happen at each of the big releases where one year is a disaster and then the following year they have to totally rethink everything. I hope I'm wrong...
  22. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (325) Florida Jan 26, 2012

if hopslammania is any indication of hanahpu day, stand the f#^% by. i think it's gonna a zoo. hope i'm wrong
  23. kpanter

Great, we're fucked. *chugs a Jai Alai
    MarcatGSB and Braineater2448 like this.
  24. Worried? Get there earlier than you planned. I'm sure it's going to be crazy, but I have faith in CCB. They'll do this right!
  25. gunhaver

gunhaver Savant (455) Florida May 27, 2007

The 4th Annual Hunahpu's Day Release Party is set for Saturday, March 9th at Cigar City Brewing. This will also be the 2nd time Hunahpu's Day has been featured for Tampa Bay Beer Week.

Gates will open at 7:50am. Draft beer will start pouring at 9:00am. Breakfast will be made available when the gates open.

There will be several food trucks on site throughout the day. The full list of food trucks and vendors will be available soon.

There will be no parking at Cigar City Brewing on March 8th and 9th. Instead there is a lot across the street at 4005 W. Spruce Street. There will be signs indicating where to park. That means the Friday before Hunahpu's Day there will be no parking at Cigar City. This will give us plenty of time to set-up and make sure everything goes as smooth as possible for Hunahpu's Day.

To receive your bottles of Hunahpu's Imperial Stout, you will need to get a wristband at the entrance of the festival. You will be ID'd as well, and you will receive an additional wristband indicating you are 21+ years of age. The wristbands are ABSOLUTELY required for purchase of Hunahpu's bottles and will be cut off of your wrist by an employee upon purchase. If you lose it we are very sorry but this is non-negotiable. Wristbands are handed out on a first-come-first-serve bases while supplies last, limited one per person.

Bottles of Hunahpu's Imperial Stout are 750mL (25.4 FL OZ), and will be sold for $20, CASH ONLY. Bottles will be sold at 3 locations in the lot.

There will be a 3 bottle limit for the first 4,000 guests. They will receive a special wristband. The next 1,000 guests will be limited to 2 bottles and will receive a different wristband. You can only have one type of wristband.

Bottle sales will start when the last wristband is given out, or at 12:00pm, whichever comes first. At 5:00pm, sales will open up to the general public with a limit of one case (12 bottles) per person. If you have a wristband, you are ONLY guaranteed your bottles until 5:00pm!

We are going to sell special tokens for $5 a piece. These tokens will be good for ANY purchase on Hunahpu's Day, excluding food trucks and non-affiliated vendors. This means you can use a $5 token to purchase any beer, bottle, merchandise, etc., of equal value, inside the tasting room and outside. So in essence, a $5 token is equivalent to a $5 bill. There will be several booths selling tokens scattered around the lot.

There will be more draft beer stations available than last year. We're going to feature many guest beers and plenty of special beers from us. A full draft list will probably not be available until the week of Hunahpu's Day.

Live music will start at 11:00am. There will be several bands throughout the day. A full list will be announced soon.
  26. hoppy99

hoppy99 Aficionado (195) Florida Feb 28, 2009

27. landhoney

landhoney Savant (290) Florida Apr 19, 2007

Early start! I like it, the staggered bottle allocations are also interesting (in a good way).
  28. Ravenacht

29. Probably my favorite event last year. Will be flying in from Chicago to hang with some buddies again this year. Pretty excited.
  30. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

Well, I love the idea of the early start. Looks like I'll be getting up super early that morning to hopefully get a parking spot at Sears. Does anyone know if that Sears parking lot stays open until Sunday? I will probably have to drive myself, no chance I'm going to ask my wife to get our son up that early to drive me down, however I will most definitely need her to pick me up, I'll just leave my car there overnight. My guess is that Home Depot and surrounding businesses will probably have someone hanging out in their parking lot to prevent non-customers from parking there.

Hopefully the lines for the 'tokens' are far removed from the regular beer lines so there isn't the same confusion as last year.
  31. jgagne

jgagne Savant (320) Kentucky Feb 23, 2011

Hey Idk if its to early to start setting up some IP trades but I got a bottle of BCBCS and some bottles of BCBS. Also can get a bunch of FFF. Anyone interested in setting something up let me know. Open to any offers. Also will be bringing stuff from the cellar so if anyone wants to do some bottle sharing shoot me an email and we can meet up.

So glad hunahpu day is here again!

Cheers.
    injuredreserve likes this.
  32. BAstoutsNsours

Will there be places to shit & piss outside of CCB or should we just use the Home Depot parking lot for that?
  33. jgagne

jgagne Savant (320) Kentucky Feb 23, 2011

They will have portable toilets. :)
  34. I am absolutely giddy about the changes so far, not that I wasn't already giddy about Hunaphu's Day anyway. But love the additional allocations and more drinking stations. I am pumped about the list, if it's anything even close to last year's my head will explode.
  35. MADPolo

So what time is everyone heading up there? I'll have my rolling cooler I guess and bring a couple things to share with anyone that is in line,etc.
  36. BAstoutsNsours

Everyone should ARRIVE at 7:50am.
    kpanter likes this.
  37. MADPolo

"Should" and "will" are very different when it comes to Hunahpu day I'm sure, lol. You are right, I should arrive at 7:50am, but chances are I WILL arrive a tit bit earlier than that.

I'm part of the problem, not the solution! ;)
    jgagne likes this.
  38. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (405) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

Since it has been a year since I have been to a beer release and I only trade in person, I will want to setup some trades too. I do not really have a specific wants list except for maybe a few things to fill in some verticals (Sexual Chocolate 13, BA Sex Choc 12, recent Dark Lord and Darkness vintages, 2012 CCB WWWW, etc) almost anything Bourbon County related except coffee, and anything that I should want :)

Here is a link to my cellar inventory. I also should be picking up a sizable stash of BA Big Sound when I get to Tampa. There is some stuff on the list it would be really hard for me to trade, but everything is up for discussion. If you see I have a lot of something, there is a good chance I would be willing to get more so do not assume I would not be interested in what you might want to trade.
    jgagne likes this.
  39. kpanter

I'm excited to say the least. Going to be a great event. Looking forward to meeting everyone, and enjoying some wonderful beers of course!
    jgagne likes this.