1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hunahpu Trade Value

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by ET678, Mar 13, 2013.

1. ET678

ET678 Initiate (0) Florida Mar 10, 2013

I went to the event but had to leave before the free for all started so I ended up with 4 bottles. I drank one that night, traded one for a BCBCS, aging one (although not sure for how long I should), and I still have one left. As you can see from my profile, I'm a noob here and to trading. Honestly, I thought I knew beer until I started reading the forums haha!

Anyway my question is: What should I expect to get for my other bottle and should I even trade it? I've been told I'd regret getting rid of it but I'm more into trying things I haven't had than I am about keeping really good beers around.

2. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Keep it and drink it with a friend within the next month. Logical 4th step.

But then again, there's always wales,bro

bryanole27 and ET678 like this.
  3. ET678

Part of the problem is that I just joined the forum so cant post an ISO/FT for a month anyway.

4. YaKnowBrady

Well, if you have friends that haven't tried it, sharing is caring.

Though I'm pretty sure that you may get an offer or two via BM just making this thread.

5. ET678

I went to the event with most of the beer geeks I know and we all got our limit so.....I'll probably be around when they open their bottles at least a few times! :)

YaKnowBrady likes this.
  6. YaKnowBrady

Well, I'm out of ideas then. Just do your research before throwing out ISOs, I'm sure you'll find something awesome for it. People want dat 'hpu

ET678 likes this.
  7. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Its all on you.If you are gonna have access every year to Hunahpu then trading your last bottle for something you really wanna try isn't a bad idea.But,if ur interested in a lil' aging experiment,then maybe thats the choice for you.

If you go w/plan A......send me a BM and I'd take that last bottle off ur hands....lol......;):D

Cheers

ET678 likes this.
  8. We can't tell you want to do, it's a lesson you'll have to learn yourself. Having said that, I wish I had back every Hunah I've ever traded;)

ET678 likes this.
  9. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

If you read the ISO/FT forum, it will give you a good idea of what is being offered and asked for this years Huna. There are a ton of posts within the first 3 pages that should paint a pretty good picture for you.

Hotmetal1 likes this.
  10. ET678

I AM aging one, I drank one already, the last is either going to be traded or also drank. :)

11. ET678

Thanks! Ive been reading it and getting a good idea of whats being asked for but but dont know whats getting done. Also, if Im going to trade it for the purpose of trying new beers, Id like to get multiples for it, like a bunch of 12 ozers but people seem reluctant to break 4/6 packs up. Oh well, we'll see what happens!

12. You could probably get some other limited-release barrel-aged stouts like Black Note, BB Plead the 5th, etc. if you haven't tried them yet.

ET678 likes this.
  13. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

Huna is not as limited as it used to be, but it is still a very high quality brewery only beer. It will trade $4$ with other high quality limited releases. If you are looking for quantity, you could expect maybe 6 Heady Toppers or Pliny or a 4 pack of stouts like Black Note, BCBS, etc. If you are looking to try something that you have not tried before, Huna can get you other "big name" stouts like Darkness, Dark Lord, Abyss, Parabola, on a 1 for 1 basis.

ET678 likes this.
  14. ET678

Those are two I've been considering going after.

15. ET678

Great info, thanks!

16. ET678

I didnt see what the big deal with Heady was.

17. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

To each their own, but to me its the best DIPA out there. Maybe it wasn't all that fresh... or you didn't drink it from the can like you're supposed to. lol.

18. ET678

It was fresh, just from the last batch, and I did drink it from the can BUT it was an Hunahpu Day so it was probably clouded with the 20 other beers I sampled haha

19. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (390) California Mar 4, 2011

I would recommend seeing if you can get a 4pk of BB Plead the 5th as JulianB said. You won't regret it. Hopefully someone reading this thread will contact you with a hook up!

ET678 likes this.
  20. tarponator

tarponator Disciple (50) Florida May 7, 2011

I just did my first trade, I gave 2 huna's and got a Black Tuesday and 1 RR suplification and 1 RR santification, I thought this was a pretty good deal, but I got 9 and am keeping 3. Hope this helps a little.

ET678 likes this.
  21. ET678

Awesome!

22. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

It is a truly great beer, but just by showing up you effectively could buy 16 bottles and potentially more the day after. Also easy to bring friends/mules as there was no getting in line at 4 AM required. The trade value isn't going to be huge, not as big as some of their more limited releases like Leon or the Cognac -bals they did last year.

23. ET678

Yeah I wasnt aware that we wouldnt have to wait in line so it was really hard finding a mule willing to get up at 4:30 am HAHA

24. ET678

I think I want to trade it for some smaller bottles of things Ive never so if anyone is interested BM me!

25. TheBronze

TheBronze Savant (350) Washington Apr 16, 2009

Given you want to try new things, I would look for someone who can trade you a mixed 4pk of stuff like BBPT5, Black Note, BA Blackout, BCBS, KBS. I think you will find someone up for that, especially if you keep it simpler like 2BBPt5 + 2 Black Note

ET678 likes this.
  26. ET678

Sounds like exactly what Im looking for, thanks!

27. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

It can be fun to age beer. Sitting on a 4 yr vert of Darkness that started w my first beer event in 2009. Just do what makes you happy!

ET678 likes this.
  28. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Dead on here. I just worked out a trade for 2 x '13 Huna and a '12 Huna. I'm sending 2 x '12 Dark Lords and a '12 BCBCS. I also offered 2012 Parabola or a 4 pack of 2012 BCBS. If you'd be looking for quantity on APA's/IPA's/DIPA's from my area I'd offer a six pack of Zombie Dust and an additional bomber of Dreadnaught (I've seen this trade completed once or twice already) or Arctic Panzer Wolf, or two of the bombers if you'd prefer for a bottle of '13 Huna. Of course, some cool extras included...;)

Hope that gives you an idea...

atoulouk and ET678 like this.
  29. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

Basically it's like this man FT: Huna ISO: Whatchoo Got?

ET678 likes this.
  30. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

It would be my pleasure to report any iso like that. I hope you were kidding, but your join date makes me think you weren't, and no smiley face also.

31. FT: New hotness / ISO: Last week's BBA hyped old n' busted.

32. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

i have found that you will have a hard tiem landing cherry rye or bramble 1:1. if you want cherry or bramble, you will have to go 2:2 and trade for a coffee as well, which IMO isnt bad deal anyways. coffee is amazing, haent had cherry yet, but i have traded mine for the following:
    1:1 for BA sump (coffee stout from Perennial).
    1:1 for cherry
    1:1 for coffee (this was pretrade where guy sent me a coffee ahead and i am reciprocating)
    2:2 for Cherry coffee
    1 ghost stories, 1 huna, 1 marshall zhukov, 6 jai alai, 3 humidor ipa, 4 yeti IS, 1 espresso yeti, 1 belgian yeti for:
    6 peruvian morning, 1 serendipity, 1 pt5, 2 nightstalker, 2 big john, 4 CW BA stout, and 3 BCBS. i was out of options for beers to send this guy and honestlyl all the beers i am getting are phenomenal so i had no problem sending a huna plus beers i can get easily for the beers i am getting.

My advice, dont try and win the trade...if you see something yo uwant, put it up. but dont try and land some crazy ass beer. i love huna, and i still have some bottles for myself, but i have no problem sharing the wealth to other great BA's who are unfortunate to have gotten to come down to the event. there are so many great shelf beers around the country yo ucould trade a huna for 4-6 of those and have just as much satisfaction. Example: 1 huna for 4 central waters BA stout and 4 peruvian morning. both are excellent and you are getting 8:1. you could age 2 of each and drink 2 of each and see how you prefer those.

Establish some regular trading partners and this will goa long way to land some great bottles that you would have to trade highly for. i have one in NY and he hooks me up all the time with incredible stuff....and i am doing the same for him as well. you become good friends, text back and forth about certain beers and encounters you see etc, and you get to trade great beer. (although my fiance thinks i have a double life..regular life and beer life lol).

just my .02. hope this helped. good luck.

33. ET678

Thanks raczkowski...great points! My cousin lives 20 minutes away from Kuhnhenn and hes gonna get me the french toast mead on St Patty's! I figure I should ship him a bottle of Huna.

34. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

:);) Happy?

35. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

So that was a joke? Gotta admit I still don't know. I recommend reading this if you haven't taken the time yet.
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/link-forums/beer-trading-rules-info.53/
    I don't have the best sense of humor to give advice, but if that was a joke you need to step up your game;)

And to anyone looking to trade Hunahpu's for Cherry Rye: my advice is don't. Unless you are a big fan of slightly medicinal cherry in your barreled stouts, you probably will like Hunahpu's a lot more IMHO.

ET678 likes this.
  36. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (355) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

Ft hunaphu great white whalez Iso other like great white whalez.....

seriously find a beer that you want to try or close and similar numbers in bottle count.
    bottom line its a $20 beer and it trade like it too. just ease in to the trading scene as lots of dangers and noobie traps are ahead;)
    check out alewatcher's blog on trading it will save you tons of time n trouble.

good luck

raymo55, cavedave and ET678 like this.
  37. Is it fair trade 1 for 1 with Double Sunshine?

38. Isn't DS almost half the price of a bottle of Huna?

39. Yes. I guess it's fair then, since I have the DS. I mean, it's all relative and based on desire, right?

40. CSO

CSO Savant (350) Illinois Jan 31, 2014

That was a weird exchange.

7clutch, PA-Michigander and markgugs like this.