1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hunahpu Vertical

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Thecherryman, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

What does it take to land one of these, has anyone traded one recently?!
  2. I don't see a ton of older bottles of Huna pop up on the forums...seems the general consensus is to drink this beer fresh. Purely anecdotal speculation on my part, though.
  3. Demer

Demer Aficionado (215) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

Yea I always heard that these fell off pretty quickly which is why you dont see a lot around.
  4. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Hunahpu's verticals barely exist because this beer is too good to not drink right away.

That said, I had a vertical not long ago & the '11 is drinking better than the '12 or the '10 right now. I, too, had to adjust my window of "when Hunahpu's is best".

All of which helps the OP not at all. I'd suspect with the relatively low bottle count, concentrated geography, & the consensus that it's better drunk sooner than later...that there's not a ton of old Hunahpu's out there. Tough, I'd wager.
    Alpar likes this.
  5. I'm sure there are plenty of people holding onto old bottles of Hunaphu with the expectation that they'll trade for whales, but the joke's on them since it doesn't age gracefully.

Some friends of mine had a (then) complete Hunaphu vertical about a year and a half ago: 2011 was great; 2010 was still pretty good, but considerably faded and a step down from fresher; and 2009 was total garbage.

OP: you're better off trading for a Marshall Zhukov vertical. Sounds like a much better use of your trade bait.
  6. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

They bottled Hunahpu in 2009? Are you talking about the test batch for employees and friends of the brewery only?
  7. You're right; I'm blending memories. I keep thinking the first bottling of Hunahphu's was before I joined BA. Regardless, that first bottling was not holding up well.
  8. maximum12

The first bottling of 2010 was holding up fine: depending on your definition, of course, but it certainly isn't garbage!

The problem with the 2010 is/was twofold: one, it wasn't nearly as chile-forward even when fresh, & two, it's therefore 'faded' a lot more, though it really hasn't. Still has that classic Hunahpu's thick-as-syrup mouthfeel, but the qualities that make the beer so uniquely excellent have faded to the point of non-existence.

It was almost unanimous that the 2011 was the best. The 2012 was still marvelous, but the chiles were dominating the vanilla/chocolate aspects, which came forward more in the 2011. A little more age, & you could really taste everything in the 2011 - or maybe that year was just better in the first place. Either way, 2011 & 2012 are amazing, 2010 I wouldn't give up much for.
    widespreadhop likes this.
  9. No, it was garbage; we all ended up dumping our pours, and we're not a snooty crowd. It certainly could've been bottle variation, or some infection. Remember: 2010 was when CCB was going through some serious QC problems.
    dman5400 and abecall98 like this.
  10. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Nate, I'd be interested in your thoughts on Abraxas vs. Hunahpu. I actually prefer Abraxas, especially this year's batch. Those guys really knocked it out of the park.
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  11. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Nate is incorrect. Hunahpu 2010 actually tastes like hot garbage. Veggie central.

Strangely however, the bottling of Apple Brandy Huna is unreal.
    yeahnatenelson likes this.
  12. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

I had a full vert, but then i traded my (delicious sounding)2011 for a Boltcutter before i tasted it. I am a really nice guy like that.......... and i was thinking BC would go all CBS on me.....totally didn't happen.

Still have a B1 left.........
  13. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Never had a Hunaphu, but the BA abraxas I had at FoBAB was unreal.
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  14. maximum12

Ah, I gotcha. And yes, I remember the QC issues well, I had a number of bottles from CC during that time period that were undrinkably infected.
  15. DanimalFL

DanimalFL Aficionado (210) Florida Mar 15, 2012

I had an 11 and a 12 the other day and the 11 is drinking better than the 12. I think my palate is off though because everyone knows Hunahpu starts falling off after hour 23. At least according to this forum.
    maximum12 likes this.
  16. 1noa

1noa Aficionado (245) Illinois Mar 24, 2011

I traded for a vertical back in May. Have not cracked any of them yet. Opened a '10 for a tasting last year and it was delicious...though that was a year ago, and the world has changed so much.
  17. It looks like you picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
    abecall98, ant880 and 1noa like this.
  18. Is there a right week to stop sniffing glue?
    drewba and 1noa like this.
  19. ksurkin

ksurkin Savant (250) Virginia Jan 9, 2009

i drank my last '10 about 6 months ago. it was fantastic. had an '11 last month and it was better than it was fresh. the '12 still has the pepper heat as of 2 weeks ago when i opened one. i'd love another '10 to complete my full set including all the BA versions but there just aren't may out there.
  20. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

I was just blown away by the Abraxas. So very tasty. Like hot chocolate.....but beer and even more delicious. It was really good.
  21. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

I used to hate Hunahpus when I only had the 2010 batch (first bottling), but have had the 2011 and 2012, and I now think it is amazing. The 2010 is Donkey Anus, don't bother. The rest of the batches, gold.
  22. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Take that 2010 to the dome like a boss man while Carleton massages you.
    yeahnatenelson and drewba like this.