1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by menkros, Oct 2, 2012.

1. menkros

menkros Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

The 4th annual release of Hunahpu's Imperial Stout is scheduled for Saturday, March 9th, 2013.

Limit 2 bottle per person, so drag along a friend who doesn't know anything about craft beer and snatch his 2 allocations. I'm flying all the way from Chicago for this, anyone else down for a trip?

MIA4IPA, cyrusthepup and Retail1LO like this.
  2. Do online liquor stores sell this? And when do the barrel aged versions come out.

3. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

Who says there will be a two bottle limit this year? I have yet to see that.

redblacks75 likes this.
  4. Pittsky

Pittsky Aficionado (195) Florida May 28, 2009

I'll be taking the 1 hour drive...again.

KVNBGRY and ediaz like this.
  5. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

How much do bottles usually cost?

robwestcott likes this.
  6. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

I've made the four hour drive the last two years. I moved and will be flying down if at all possible. To answer the questions, in the past the beer has been available only at the brewery on the day of release (though it did last until the next morning in 2011). The way they've done it the last two years is you pick up a wristband that gets you your allotment. Two bottles in 2012, four in 2011. If there's any left after, then they sell it first come, first serve. I didn't stick around this year, but got four extras in 2011. Bottles were $20 the last two years.

I'm hoping they brewed extra this year after last year's release was so popular. But even if they don't, it's a fun time and there is generally lots of interesting stuff to try. Even if you don't line up for the whale guest taps, they usually pull a lot of neat stuff from previous events out of their vault. In short, it's a good time.

7. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

No BA bottles this year.....

8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I don't think so. I've watched the Luekens Big Town Liquors site(Florida) and it's never been listed.

9. What is the wait like for this? I'm thinking about flying down and dragging my brother or mom with me

Ozzie1111 and pschul4 like this.
  10. Im hoping to land one for my birthday beer.

11. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (440) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

This thread is speculation central... other than the date.

12. Yea. the bottle limit HAS NOT been announced. In fact, as redblacks stated, the only info released has been the date.

http://www.hunahpusday.com/

claaark13, bryanole27 and redblacks75 like this.
  13. Me too! Flew in last year and had a great time.

14. menkros

Yeah 2 limit was just my speculation based in previous years.

15. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

My guess is that they haven't even BREWED next year's batch yet, let along have an idea of how many bottles they will end up with.

donttazemebro likes this.
  16. JohnQVD

They might have. Depends on how long they age it. Last year's batch was bottled in January. So, if it sits for three months, they'd be starting that around now. This, though, is total and complete speculation, whereas my previous post was a simple description of my experience the last two years.

17. tyrion

tyrion Disciple (70) Florida Sep 14, 2008

Last year, a bunch of us were able to get up to a case each after the initial allotment was given out to those with wrist bands. Needless to say, no idea if this year will be the same.

18. So based on the past: 2011: 4, 2012: 3, 2013: 2...meaning 2014: 1, 2015: 0?

Please don't speculate. All you are going to do is panic people.

ABisonEgo likes this.
  19. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I don't know you, you don't know me. Lets get in a car together and drive to Florida...I'm being serious. We would definitely know each other by the time we got back with a trunk full of CCB goodies, and a belly full of Peg's Cantina BA goodness...

woodchopper likes this.
  20. I just met you, and this is crazy, but I love Huna, so carpool maybe?

1up, LSMroz, VonZipper and 37 others like this.
  21. MarcatGSB

You got a couch or a bean bag for my new friend and I?

22. It was a joke, sorry:)

23. moose3285

moose3285 Aficionado (235) Florida Jul 19, 2007

Wouldn't it be 2010: 6, 2011: 4, 2012: 2, so that would mean the next release would be zero? ;)

bryanole27 likes this.
  24. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

lolz, not bad at all.

bryanole27 likes this.
  25. That would be more accurate so yeah:) And actually makes sense with the whole 'world-ending Apocalypse' and all.

26. badboy7113

badboy7113 Savant (370) Florida Jan 19, 2011

I will be there! Gonna be a good time, as always!

27. jgagne

jgagne Savant (320) Kentucky Feb 23, 2011

The event last year was a hell of a time. Got there around 5:30 am and didn't leave until about midnight. Although I don't live in Florida anymore I will be making the pilgrimage from Louisville Kentucky. Woudnt miss it for the world. Also hopping pegs does an event the night before like they did last year. A yard bird burrito with a whiskey barrel aged rare dos is a heavenly combination

CJS likes this.
  28. menkros said: ↑

Pick me up in Chicago;-)

29. MarcatGSB

You serious? Shoot me a BM man, I'm really thinking about heading down there. Peg's Cantina has been on my list for over a year now, and I'd love me a good CCB party.

30. menkros

I'm glad the brewery is within walking distance from the airport. No need to rent a car.

luwak and robwestcott like this.
  31. hopkrid

hopkrid Savant (265) Florida Mar 11, 2011

In the past they have brewed it in December. They have also increased their brew house recently so there may be a bigger batch made this year. Also the bottles have been $20 in the past.

32. JohnQVD

Ahh, good to know. I'm hoping they used some of that expanded space to brew more this year. I haven't seen it yet, but my wife took the tour right after it opened and said it was pretty big.

33. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

You people... fly out... for beer releases?!

ABisonEgo likes this.
  34. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Disclaimer: I have driven four hours for beer.... BUT FLYING ACROSS THE COUNTRY?!

mkurylko and NoSignsOfPain like this.
  35. hoppy99

hoppy99 Aficionado (195) Florida Feb 28, 2009

That would be quite an epic walk.

36. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

Not if you fly southwest. then you just need to walk into the terminal to the brewpub in the airport, which has some great food and and airport exclusive beers

KVNBGRY likes this.
  37. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

i dont even want to see what the trade forum will be like if the limit is 2.

38. I'm doing it! Flew out for DLD and GABF this year :rolleyes:

And drove 7-ish hours for Beatification...

Lucho, Hammdesigns and GottaTickemAll like this.
  39. sorry for the noob question, will this be a ticketed event?

40. MarcatGSB

Ahh christ. I might have to make it. A nice road trip to the lower Peninsula (from the Upper Peninsula) on US 41 would be quite the experience.

luwak and redblacks75 like this.