1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by menkros, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

Haha, what experience? A sleepy one? US 41 is one of the most boring drives.

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

A period of time devoted to great self introspection.

3. hopkrid

hopkrid Savant (265) Florida Mar 11, 2011

They start a line prior to opening to the public. While in line they give everyone a wristband for the Hunaphu (which in the past meant you could get your 2 bottles). Later in the day they have let people go back and buy more bottles until they run out.

4. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

Nobody knows the format for this year, it has not been decided. This^ was how it happened last year.

5. thank you!

6. I may be up for meeting in Chicago and carpooling down. Granted, this is five months away and things could change. I'm up for finalizing plans in January.

ABisonEgo likes this.
  7. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

well Florida in march ..at least the weather will be nice. been meaning to get to CCB for a while now...
    i guess i'll see if i can get the days off

8. I plan on flying down. if anyone is interested, I should be being some surly abrasive, furious etc. and would love to set up something for at least one extra huna.

9. Deltoro

Deltoro Savant (315) Florida Sep 15, 2012

No it won't be ticketed but if you want your two bottles you gotta get there early cause it gets packed!

10. basscram

basscram Savant (365) Florida Mar 29, 2006

I'm already here, but, if you wait til the next weekend after the event,... you can get some on tap. no lie.

thecraftculture likes this.
  11. badboy7113

badboy7113 Savant (370) Florida Jan 19, 2011

I was actually at Pegs today and they are doing a "rarer dos" on 12/21/12. They have all the barrels aging in the bar area. I cant wait for that!

RyanSchwam likes this.
  12. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

a buddy of mine got 2 hunaphu and an everet for 12 bcbs (2012). cant be that crazy?

13. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

WHo wants to drive there and pick me up in Indiana!

beerhan, ABisonEgo and CWBlues like this.
  14. CWBlues

CWBlues Savant (320) Indiana May 4, 2011

I think I'd do this trade without blinking. That is, being on the receiving end of Hunahpu's.

ABisonEgo likes this.
  15. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Nip off my ripples. ROAD TRIP!!

Gash and ales4baldo like this.
  16. kyleleonard

kyleleonard Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2012

I have 2010, 2011 ,and 2012.DEf going for 2013. This year should be bigger and better than past. They have made alot of great changes in the past year at CCB. Im really excited about this event. No it will not be at stores its a Brewery release only. I have a huge vintage 3 year collection of CCB beers and the past year has been one of the best. (WARNING Cigar City beers will spoil you! Other Craft beer just wont be the same.) Hope to see you people at the release.

17. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (355) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

Its not too different than lining up at a beer release with complete strangers by the time its all over you'll be good buddies! I have met tons of new friends at beer releases and it all started with sharing a beer with a stranger.... :)

Lifes too short take a chance. Want to race a mini cooper S from davenport ia to Tampa FL?

xxcarpxx likes this.
  18. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

My kid has spring break the following week. Hmmmmm

19. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (355) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

Its just an experience everyone should have...... You can't imagine how fun it is til you do it!

Take a chance have some fun meet so awesome strangers and some new friends

20. kyleleonard

kyleleonard Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2012

Yea Awesome people like me! LOL

21. deezy23

deezy23 Aficionado (185) Georgia Nov 15, 2009

Great event; I look forward to the 2013 release!

22. menkros

menkros Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Apple Brandy Barrels:

From Dan – Cigar City Hunahpu’s is in my top 3 favorite beers of all time. We had the great fortune of getting to sip on multiple pours of Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout aged in Apple Brandy Barrels at Stone Brewing’s 16th Anniversary Rare Beer Tent. I can’t think of a better beer to write about on Stout day than this beer. Cheers!

Cigar City Brewing – Cigar City Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout Aged in Apple Brandy Barrels – On tap at Stone 16th Anniversary – 11% abv.

Appearance: Pours dark brown with a thin brown ring. An iodine like coating is left behind on the glass.

Aroma: Sweet brandy. Chocolate, coconut, pepper skin.

Taste: Strong apple brandy, cinnamon spice, dark chocolate, barrel char.

Mouthfeel: Thick, spicy carbonation.

Overall: A fantastic treat, even on a warm summer day in this case. I had it in Denver and it was amazing then too. As the old XX Meme goes: “I don’t usually need barrel treated Hunahpu, but when I do, it’s Apple Brandy Barrel Aged Hunahpu.”

23. crwood23

crwood23 Aspirant (30) California Dec 22, 2011

I'll likely come from San Francisco, for this wonderful beer!

24. kpanter

kpanter Aficionado (220) Florida Nov 25, 2012

I will be there this year. Never been to one before, and I am excited to see what this is all about. CCB brews some amazing beer

25. badboy7113

badboy7113 Savant (370) Florida Jan 19, 2011

I can't wait for this! I'm hopefully going to try to bring a growler of the barrel aged rarer dos that peg's is releasing on 12/21 to share with some people! Always a fun time and lots of people sharing some good beers!

26. I actually might be flying down for this! I get free airfare through my dad(works at united) and am definitely looking for some hunahpu!!

27. Also down to road trip it out! Shit! Lets get something organized soon! I will definitely be down for anything

28. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Might be visiting my buddy in Orlando over spring break and making this a pit stop. Must get CCB Limited RIS.

29. TomD

TomD Aficionado (115) Pennsylvania Nov 26, 2012

I'm pumped to make my first visit to this release in 2013. Waiting for details to come out.

30. They Brewed a bunch of Hunahpa a couple weeks ago. 100% of it was going into barrels. They also said they are brewing twice as much of the original version for Hunahpu day 2013 than they did 2012 . CANT WAIT!

Gash likes this.
  31. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

I will be there for sure.

32. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Initiate (0) Alabama Jan 13, 2011

I've read there post about the last batch going in to barrels... But where did you see they are brewing twice as much as 2012??? I hope that's true..

33. I was told by 2 of the head people while I was having a beer. Im not putting names up but I stay close to all the people there. Im at CCB at least 3 or 4 times a month.

Gash likes this.
  34. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Initiate (0) Alabama Jan 13, 2011

That's great news...I hope the bottle allotment is increased for the 2013 release..

woodchopper and MagillaGriller like this.
  35. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Me....jealous

36. Hooray beer, Hooray Hunahpu

Mjmoser and BeerTheater like this.
  37. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

ISO: Hunahpu

38. kempshark

kempshark Aficionado (150) Florida Jul 22, 2009

I've never been before, but I plan on going next year. Just had my first taste of Hunahpu at the Cajun Cafe Fall Beer Fest and really want to purchase some for my collection and drinking now!! :)

39. menkros

menkros Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

All my friends and I work for the airline industry = free flying privileges.
    So a free flight to Tampa, weekend at the beach and some Hunahpu's sounds like a good time.

40. CJS

CJS Aficionado (190) Florida Oct 28, 2012

I will def be there again. Getting the max. And sharing brew. Cheers.