1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hunaphu Questions

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by IrishHockey, Feb 13, 2014.

1. I want to get a bottle or two of Huna but I don't keep a cellar. So basically, I'm wondering if I can trade for some after its release with local (fresh Three Floyd's) shelf beer? Also, how much is it per bottle at Huna day? I'm not looking for a trade now, just info for the future. Thanks!
  2. Hubarooski

Hubarooski Aficionado (195) Florida May 15, 2013

Bottles are $20 a piece. Limit 3 per person, but there will be leftovers at the end of the day so the people that survive can buy up to a case. Waiting until after Huna Day would be wise because there will be a lot more bottles being traded there.

Us Florida traders are the worst, but you might find a very generous trader for everyday shelf beers, but it would be hard to get multiple bottles for shelf stuff. Quantity of Zombie dust might work, but I wouldn't label that as a shelf beer. Trades for Huna are more than likely going to involve tasty limited locals or other single day event beers
  3. TheGoof

TheGoof Savant (285) Michigan Apr 10, 2013

It all depends on the beer you offer. A couple 6ers of ZD could probably get it done. Generally, the more limited your beer is, the closer to $4$ you'll be able to pull off, but with more readily available beers you'll have to go over $4$ on your end. I had my first Huna last May and ended up trading for it four more times last year, pretty much all with Founders KBS and/or specialty (statewide in MI) releases from Short's. Generally, something like 2 bottles of KBS, a 6 pack of a Short's specialty, and a couple MI shelf beers got it done for me.
  4. ddskos

ddskos Aficionado (130) Illinois Apr 28, 2008

Got mine done 1 for 1 for Dark Lord the last 2 years. Always most recent Dark Lord for most recent Huna.
  5. markgugs

markgugs Champion (960) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

I have 4 pre-Huna Day trades set up already, for the following:

1:1 w/ Darkness 2014
    1:1 w/ (pre) Dark Lord 2014
    1:1 w/ Viet Coffee Speedway
    1:1 w/ CW 16

I personally won't be trading any of mine for shelf beers. Hope that helps.
    maximum12 likes this.
  6. I easily got 12 Hunahpu's last year (2 different trades) with Cantillon gueuze and kriek, $4$.
  7. I've done it with shelf sours (at least they were here in New England) on two separate occasions. Honestly, it just depends what the other person is looking for and how many Hunaphus they ended up with. Someone with just 1 or 2 bottles might hold out for something really good. Someone who ended up with 10 bottles, might just treat them as $20 worth of beer.
    pjkelley82 likes this.
  8. Cool, thanks for the replies to my question everyone. This is a beer that I've really been wanting to try, so hopefully after Huna day I'll be able to make a trade. Cheers everyone!
  9. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (375) Ohio Dec 14, 2012

Wow. I'll have to keep that in mind.
  10. To be fair, and as another poster above alluded to, each of the guys I traded with got more than a case of Hunahpu last year. That said, it wasn't hard for them to do so; CCB makes a lot of the stuff now.
  11. markgugs

markgugs Champion (960) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

To be fair, it's never easy to get Hunahpu, unless you live within a 1-hour drive of Tampa and happen to have the 1st Saturday in March free, and happen to get tickets.

Last year 20k bottles were produced, but there were over 9,000 people at Huna Day. This year they've limited attendance to 3,500 people, with individual allocation at 3 bottles per. At 4:00 PM, you can purchase up to 1 add'l case. I don't know what this equates to, but it's not 20,000 bottles this year, and the sheer volume of people who will have Huna is 5,500 fewer than last year.
  12. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Even Marshal Zhukov was apparently quite a bit harder to get this year than in years past. Never make the mistake of thinking a particular beer will be easier to get this year than last year even if they announce they're making 10x as many. Gotta take into account the explosion of interest in craft beer as well.
  13. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (280) Florida Feb 18, 2011

It was 14K bottles.
  14. Seabass1964

Seabass1964 Savant (300) Arkansas Jan 10, 2014

Would love to get some Hunahpu. Wonder if anyone would trade for BCBS or BC barley wine?????
  15. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Maybe a 4-pack of BCBBW and a bit more? But don't forget that Florida did get the non-Proprietor's variants in distro.
  16. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (370) Florida Dec 31, 2006

You can get it done if you're near Floyds. A limited release shelf beer from them that is $4$ would probably do it. Like someone mentioned, you could probably do multiple sixers of ZD and get it done.
  17. That's cool. I do live close by 3 Floyd's and have picked up limited stuff.
    would a Prairie Noir 750ml do it, is it enough by itself, or to much? I don't know much about this beer, but a buddy gave me one. Don't know if I really want to trade it since it was a gift. Just curious.
  18. Sarge3130

Sarge3130 Savant (360) Pennsylvania May 13, 2012

I traded hunahpu last year for cherry rye 1:1, twice.

Considering I have to travel from PA down the FLA, i couldn't see myself trading hunah for QTY of a shelf beer, even if i did get a case some how.
  19. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

You can't categorize trader integrity by geography...not fair. I know great dudes and jackasses from all regions.
    youbrewidrink and Sarge3130 like this.
  20. jimpdx

jimpdx Aficionado (125) Oregon Jan 10, 2012

I was able to get a 1:1 trade Huna/DL last year. But I had to drive from Florida to Chicago :)

(we were going to Portland anyway)

Anyone coming to Huna who wants to trade I have some extra Event Horizon and two more bottle of Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Porter, and picking up Nib Smuggler next week.
  21. cacostaj

cacostaj Aficionado (245) Florida Feb 15, 2013

Honestly it's gonna be tough. Anybody with Hunas available for trade will most likely NOT trade for shelf beers even if they are from 3F. For example people in Florida can trade a number of shelf beers/seasonals $4$ for ZD, which is more prudent that trading away Hunas whose trade value will increase as time goes on and have the potential of pulling other limited/one-off releases. With that said hopefully you have a trading partner who will part with/mule one or two for ya, or perhaps you can make an offer that would be hard to resist. Either way good luck and hope you can land some
  22. beernads

beernads Advocate (520) Florida May 4, 2012

If you show up on the 1st Saturday of March, you will be able to able the Florida Brewers Guild Beerfest but Hunahpu day has always been the 2nd Saturday of March