1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hunting good beer.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Richard-de-Beer, Apr 14, 2013.

1. I'm heading to Lithuania tomorrow and then Latvia and Estonia. Any pointers to good brews, brew house and micro breweries welcome.
    I'm not sure on towns I'll visit yet apart from Kaunas, Vilnius, Riga and Tallinn but I have a lot of time, so open to all ideas.
    Cheers, Santé,Cin cin, Prost
  2. nloetz

nloetz Member

I can't say much about their beer, but Riga had good kvass. I took a ride out to the brewery and bought some at the source. It was kind of an original experience for me.
    http://www.playriga.com/index/latvian-food/kvass

Really you can get kvass anywhere in the baltics.

Oh, and Lido makes their own beer I think, but go there for the food. It's worth it.
  3. Cheer,
    I've had kvass in a lot of places in Eastern Europe. Often there are road side stalls selling it in summer and people have it for breakfast. Cheers for the Lido tip.
  4. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Member

For archiving purposes, I should mention that I found really interesting beer in Vilnius. There are a few brewpups in the center, including the very welcoming Būsi Trečias with 3-4 really good house offerings plus a few others, a young clientele, and copious comfort food. Šnekutis in the old town had a half dozen or so 'country beers' in varying styles -- fresh pils types, dark lagers at some strength, wheats, and a bunch of bottles. I'd describe the flavor profiles as Germanic with a sour note that made for a complex and heady brew. The standard lagers in all the bars worked well for me. Good scene.