1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hype vs Taste Best IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rupert50, Feb 7, 2013.

?

Best IPA

1. Pliny

29.0%
  2. Heady Topper

47.2%
  3. Head Hunter

7.3%
  4. FFF dreadnaught

5.3%
  5. FFF zombie dust

11.2%
  1. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Had fresh growler last night. Meh.
    Shagator likes this.
  2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Fresh growler poured from the brewery with a new growler?
  3. alpine duet
    blind pig
    odells ipa
    Jai Alai
    KVNBGRY and MarcatGSB like this.
  4. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

As far as I know none of these are readily available where I live, and I haven't yet gotten into the trading game. But despite all the hype I'm enjoying the hell right out of hopslam while I can still get my hands on it : )
    copslovebeer likes this.
  5. Elevated IPA, or La Cumbre's Full Nelson. If they were made anywhere other than NM, they would have first class tickets on the hype train.
    hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  6. I don't get the hype over Nugget Nectar. I was so excited to finally get to try it, and thought it was just "meh."

Conversely, I don't think Lil' Sumpin Sumpin gets enough hype. Maybe because it's available year-round, but still.
    hardy008 and KevinGordon like this.
  7. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

All on that list are overrated IMO. That's not to say they're no good, but some BA's treat them like they'd cure cancer. But if I had to pick jut one off that list I'd pick Zombie Dust even though its a pale and not an IPA. As one BA pointed out above, it tastes close enough to an IPA, the line is rather blurred for me.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  8. ZD for me. An APA? I don't think so....
  9. If Boneyard bottled or canned, they would clean up.... My growler gets worn out...
  10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Yet here you are in the thick of it complete with obscure avater and all...
  11. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

This is silly.
  12. i agree with perpetual ipa! pretty attainable, yet very very close to the quality of nugget nectar
    ThisWangsChung likes this.
  13. Lagunitas Maximus.
    BeerMeInStl, beercanman and Rupert50 like this.
  14. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

I agree. Does popularity = best? If that were the case, I'd be driving a Camry and listening to Lady Gaga. There are so many flavor profiles; more pine, less pine, more malts, less malts, tropical, floral, grassy, blah blah blah. It's all preference and you like what you like. Period
  15. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

16. OLSKOOLKEG

OLSKOOLKEG Zealot (95) California Feb 10, 2013

17. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I think it depends on the flavor or hop centric flavor that you like. For me Dreadnaught is incredibly balanced and is very good. I also like Zombie Dust, but is is a completely different taste and I have a hard time picking between the two. They are both equally great depending on the mood I am in. i also like Ruination and Palate Wrecker if I am in that kind of mood. With that being said I have not had head Hunter or HT. I have had Pliny, and to me it compared with Dreadnaught and i enjoyed Dreadnaught much more.
    Docrock likes this.
  18. Heady no contest and anything else coming out of VT is 1b, 1c, etc (Lawsons, Hill farmstead) ZD second and I'd rather have sculpin, flower power or nugget nectar than the rest. I know nugget nectar is an amber but its hittin this year!
  19. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

All very good... All VERY Different. IPAs to IPAs kinda, Apples to Apples not so much. If were picking favorites Head Hunter, Heady, and Zombie Dust in a 4 way tie with 2 Hearted.

...and Dreadnaught, Panzer Wolf, Hopslam, Evolution Lot#6, Sculpin, and Jai Alai in a very close second. :D
    Rupert50 likes this.
  20. Rupert50

Rupert50 Zealot (95) Ohio Nov 11, 2012

I think Head Hunter is very unrated. I have not tired HT yet. Maybe tomorrow ill break down and pop the can!
  21. rand

rand Savant (330) California Feb 24, 2006

that's the list right there. I'd add Keene Idea to the top (Double Nelson) if anyone's had it. Heady is overrated...
  22. Catchy_Name

At being overrated...
    SFACRKnight and BrettHead like this.
  23. Nope. Pliny is oh so Divine-y.
    Kadonny likes this.
  24. I haven't been graced with most of these and will have to work my pattootey off to change that I am sure. That being said this becomes especially difficult for me to judge because i can never be sure how fresh a beer is unless it has a date one it or if its been stored properly.. Since i love my beers, beta hop pleasant, I don't want to unfairly judge a beer that is past its prime and drowned out by alpha hot stringent bitterness.
  25. I'd take most of Alpine's IPAs, Double Jack, Aroma Coma, and Lagunitas Sucks over any of those.

But of those on the list Heady is my favorite.
  26. Pliny followed very closely by Heady Topper.
  27. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

You are exactly right, and the line is not only blurred for you, it is blurred for everyone, and in fact there is no line. The brewer of Dales Pale Ale is on record as saying he chose that name only because it sounded better than Dales IPA. Yet you see folks here arguing that Dales is a Pale not an IPA. I call them all hoppy pales, cause that is the truth of it, all the rest is what kind of a mood the brewer was in, or what sounds good on the label, or where does it have the best chance of competing in a competition.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  28. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

I think Heady and Zombie Dust are well worth the hype. And I don't buy into hype. I think Cigar City Humidor Series IPA has probably been my favorite in recent memory.
  29. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Yup this is a sloppy mess. HT is in a different ballpark!!!!
  30. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Abrasive.
    hwy395 likes this.
  31. Not really sure what's going on here, but came here to say:

Heady > Gandhi Bot > Hopslam> Pliny > Meadowlark
  32. Probably go Harlan over all those if we are talking about single IPAs. Though there's only one beer on that list classified as one.
  33. shuggy

shuggy Savant (300) Pennsylvania Dec 22, 2006

I traded some Head Hunter for some Heady. In hindsight I wish I would have kept the Head Hunter.
    Rupert50 likes this.
  34. You're a funny BA. It seems you make it your mission that every time Pliny is brought up on any thread, you have to let us all know it's over-rated. We get it.
  35. Catchy_Name

Lets not pretend I'm the only BA that spends time in the redundancy department.
    omniscientcause likes this.
  36. Zombie Dust or Duet from what I've had. Heady, Abrasive, Pliny, Blind Pig, Boy King, and Hopslam are all great (along with plenty of others). Citra is on its way here.
  37. 510a

510a Savant (345) Washington Jan 12, 2013

Dont miss out on Deschutes Hop Henge , ILive in WA and have had only Pliny of the uber hyped so when nuggets like this and Enjoy By come around , I swoop in and stock up.
    Fat Tug and Descender , not hyped but excellent in the PNW.
  38. p90beer

p90beer Aficionado (125) Delaware Jan 10, 2011

alpine nelson not getting enough love .....
  39. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

FRESH bottles & especially draft:

[​IMG]
  40. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (405) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

I would throw Surly Abrasive or Furious into that mix. Just had an abrasive last night, it was fabulous!