1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hype vs Taste Best IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rupert50, Feb 7, 2013.

?

Best IPA

1. Pliny

29.3%
  2. Heady Topper

47.0%
  3. Head Hunter

7.2%
  4. FFF dreadnaught

5.3%
  5. FFF zombie dust

11.2%
  1. unfortunately I haven't tried any of the beers listed yet, where i am in jersey its really limited...or most of the ones mentioned i probably wont ever see on a shelf here. but some of my recent favorites are definitely Racer X i had that on draft it was incredible...really delicious DIPA. sculpin is always great, had the lagunitas sucks as well. im a huge hophead, even the nugget nectar is awesome. i'm heading to philly this weekend so if anyone in that area knows the best spots to get some of these IPA's listed in the poll lemme know !

2. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (410) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

joeebbs likes this.
  3. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Head Hunter from that list(and almost any other). I'm sure it's been said, but trying to compare an IPA to a IIPA is futile.

4. adamridge

adamridge Disciple (50) Indiana Jun 2, 2012

I'm not a big IPA fan, so my exposure to(good)IPA's is minimal, but right now from whats available here. I would have to agree with Founders Centennial IPA being the best none hyped IPA for me, right under Hopslam which I think may be a little overhyped. I was also surprised by a IPA last month(Beer Club), Mojo IPA by Boulder Beer Co., never heard of it, but it was pretty tasty.

5. rand

rand Savant (355) California Feb 24, 2006

Alpine is underrated in general. That's fine, picked up a bunch of Bad Boy this weekend, and since it's not in the top 20 (where it should be) you don't have a total frenzy.

6. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

Isn't Pliny a DIPA? My favorite every day IPA's are Lagunitas and Anderson Valley. IPA's I liked a few weeks ago now taste like shit (Firestone Union Jack comes to mind). This is most likely due to my yearly phenonmena I undergo after returning from England and a diet of cask real ale. My taste buds will readapt but I ithink I don't like Firestone nor do I care for Speakeasy Bid Daddy.

7. OLSKOOLKEG

OLSKOOLKEG Zealot (95) California Feb 10, 2013

I would Say Pliny..But Double Standard is very good also From 3rd street AleWorks Santa rosa Ca

8. Best hyped: Lagunitas Sucks, Flower Power, Sculpin

Best underhyped: Sweetwater IPA, Southern Tier 2X IPA

9. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (470) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Never had Pliny or heady, chose hh. What did op choose?

10. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (470) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Also I think it depends on the regend. What is available to you and your surroundings.

11. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I'm Furious that a certain beer was left off this list, if you get my drift. Actually I'm not furious at all. In fact I don't give a flying nun fart.

12. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Savant (275) Ohio Oct 18, 2010

This is spot on. Would also take basically any HF or Societe IPA over the ones on this list.

13. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (345) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

I can't wait until Kane starts bottling and distro outside of NJ. Then you will all know the wonder that is Head High IPA.

regularjohn likes this.
  14. Rupert50

Rupert50 Zealot (95) Ohio Nov 11, 2012

After trying all the beers from list this week here is my order:

Head Hunter> Pliny> HT> Dreadnaught> Zombie Dust

DogfishJoe likes this.
  15. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

I'm not sure I could pick one IPA or DIPA as being the absolute best. It's too tough of a call for me. If the question is what is the most underrated IPA and DIPA, I would probably pick Odell IPA and Myrcenary. I think both beers are truly great, and don't get as much praise as they deserve.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  16. Firestone/Walker Double Jack gets no love or hype, but is SOLID. Very crisp and clean.

Docrock and darkmoon66 like this.
  17. kane head high is fucking awesome, i really like the quad too

18. jdaddy

jdaddy Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 19, 2010

I have been really lucky to have quite a bit of experience with the beers listed in the poll. Having said that, as many have pointed out, it's quite a goofy poll which basically asks "which beer should I like best"?

Now, here is a question that I rarely see addressed, so maybe I am violating some unspoken BA rule here, but how do you factor price into this? I mean really, $35 a case for Zombie Dust? $67 for a sixtel of Flower Power? How can anything beat deals like these?

When we are talking personal preference and I find myself coin-flipping between a beer that is $70 a case versus $35 a case . . . .

19. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (735) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Fresh Odell IPA is tough to beat....

hardy008 and KVNBGRY like this.
  20. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Advocate (565) Florida Aug 1, 2012

Out of those listed, I like Pliny. But If we're talking IPA, not DIPA, then my vote goes with Odell, or Ballast Point.

21. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Advocate (565) Florida Aug 1, 2012

Green Room Brewing here in Jax, Fl has a Head High IPA, as well as a Double Overhead, DIPA. Not bad brews. They should definitely package them.

22. Picking and ranking your favorite DIPA/IPA is like ranking your children. That being said my favorite child is HT but that is the personal preference of that super resin pine flavor HT delivers over Pliny. Also I can get a case of HT whenever I am up in Vermont. Pliny I had to hunt down on tap in Philly to try.

23. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I understand what your asking, but you have IPA's mixed in DIPA's.

IF your looking strictly at IPA's: Flower Power/Head Hunter/Blind Pig/ ZD even though it's marketed as an APA. HF Susan.

DIPA's : HT/Abrasive/Sucks/Pliny. A few more I like a lot, but I've only had 1 bomber of Kern Citra/Knuckle Sandwich.

24. ScottUCF84

ScottUCF84 Savant (255) Florida Apr 7, 2006

Haven't tried any of those. But Sucks and Palate Wrecker are my recent faves.

Here here to widely available IPAs and DIPAs.

25. From your list, Pliny wins. The everyday IPA I wish I could get regularly? Furious.

nc41 likes this.
  26. shuggy

shuggy Savant (310) Pennsylvania Dec 22, 2006

Quite a few of you folks really seem hung up on what style category these beers are listed as here or by the brewer. Dreadnaught and ZD are at opposite ends of the spectrum but HH, Pliny, and HT are so close in ABV and IBU's they are certainly comparable no matter what category they are in.

27. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (205) Texas Jan 27, 2013

Alaska IPA is in my opinion perfectly balanced and hopped.

28. Don't all of those riding the hype train pretty exclusively?

I'll take a Fortnight, FBD, Ghandi Bot or Sculpin any day.

29. HF Double Galaxy
    HF Abner
    HF Double Citra
    Kern Citra
    Heady
    Pliny
    Zombie Dust
    Head hunter is nice, but can't even touch HF Susan which isnt even on my list of favs. After killing a bunch of these brews(again) over the snowy weekend the results were clear.
    [​IMG]

Kern Citra, HF Doub Galaxy,Heady and Pliny were best brews.

Rupert50 likes this.
  30. omgshesaboy

omgshesaboy Zealot (90) Ohio Jul 19, 2010

Trick question? I only see one IPA on that list!

31. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Aficionado (100) New York Dec 13, 2012

I had a busy 2 weeka of DIPAs due to snow and Super Bowl a tasting.
    Never had FFF or Kern but the majority of the others mentioned... Shocked nobody said Enjoy By?
    #1 Heady, #2 Kelso Industrial IPA seriously amazing stuff and @ 11.5% I was shocked. Next is a Pliny Elder which tastes very similar to Kelso. I never had Younger but I think Kelso made some.... Anyone in NYC needs to find this before it goes away.

32. jcrackimus

jcrackimus Aspirant (25) Indiana Feb 11, 2013

Dreadnaught for me but it's an Imperial IPA. Hopslam is great but I believe it's a double IPA. Also Hop Walop by Victory is great. Zombie Dust is a pale ale like Alpha King.

33. grynder33

grynder33 Savant (380) Wisconsin Jul 31, 2003

I'll take the one thats closest to being out of the fermenter

34. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

DRIPA

35. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Savant (275) Ohio Oct 18, 2010

Good assemblage but sorely lacking Alpine.

36. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (335) California Oct 17, 2009

Sculpin is my favorite, but it doesn't get a lot of love anymore now that it's easy to obtain. Zombie Dust is my favorite from the list. Duet, also not on the list, would be my #3.

37. Pure hoppiness, Nelson and Duet are coming in this week

grandmeaulnes likes this.
  38. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I still think Heady is the best beer hype or not. I'd go with Anti-hero as the best not super hyped IPA.

39. Pliny was the only one I've had from this list, but magical as it was, I'd also pick palate wrecker over it.

Rupert50 likes this.
  40. sweet jesus i'm drooling