1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hype vs Taste Best IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rupert50, Feb 7, 2013.

?

Best IPA

1. Pliny

29.3%
  2. Heady Topper

47.0%
  3. Head Hunter

7.2%
  4. FFF dreadnaught

5.3%
  5. FFF zombie dust

11.2%
  1. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Jai Alai

2. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Savant (275) Ohio Oct 18, 2010

Just an FYI - the last bottling of Duet is undercarbed and not indicative of the quality of the beer. Both recent bottlings of Pure and Nelson are A+ though. Enjoy.

3. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (290) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

We did a blind DIPA tasting last year. Although I wish I could have included Citra since I've never had the pleasure, this is the consensus among several participants...

1. Heady....
    -
    -
    -
    2. Dreadnaught
    3. Double Sunshine
    4. Ninja v. Unicorn
    5. New Glarus thumbprint IIPA
    6. Pliny

jammalamma likes this.
  4. Chris77McGrath

Chris77McGrath Savant (280) Ohio Feb 8, 2013

No love for Steelhead Double IPA? Mad River Brewing.

5. Hill Farmstead Abner takes the cake for me, beating Topper by having a little more fruity citrus.. similar beers tho, both world-class!

6. I DID finally get to try a Sucks tonight, and I think I see what all the fuss is about! To me, it's the same hop-profile as a Lil' Sumpin Sumpin (which I continually rave about) with just a different grain-bill (malt instead of wheat).

7. I couldn't agree with you more. Enjoy by 2.15 was amazing, but the first time I had Heady really blew me away. It also turned me onto the idea of drinking IPA's out of a can which actually enhanced my enjoyment of the locally available DC Brau Corruption IPA.

8. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

I guess I'm responsible for some of that haha. Even though I'll take some heat for it, Hopslam is my personal favorite. I think all of the others are excellent, but I think arguing for some of these others is really splitting hairs (even though the styles aren't the same). IMO Hopslam is just more unique...but I tend to drift towards IPA's with a bigger malt profile.

9. I had that once and really liked it too. I wish all my favorite beers weren't the polar opposite of regularly available to me. Oh well, rare treats are nice too.

10. Im sure someone has said it but shouldn't Elevated IPA from La Cumbre be on the list instead of ZD?

11. you forgot Alpine.

12. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (275) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

Never had Pliney, Heady Topper or Head Hunter but have sampled many Dreadnaught's and my first Zombie Dust just last night. Dreadnaught is an excellent beer but I prefer "Enjoy by" on tap to all. Now after one Zombie Dust I have never experienced that much flavor in one bottle. The aroma, off the charts. The taste is excellent but I have a bit of a problem with the after taste, can't put my finger or tongue on it but it just doesn't finish they way I had hoped.
    But again there is so much going on in one bottle, very big beer.

13. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (205) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

"Enjoy By" was excellent. I would also put Abner in front of any of the other beers on the list. However, if one of the beers listed had to be chosen, Heady would take it.

14. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

You are implying that everyone simply follows the heard. While there is definately some of the heard mentality out there, it obviously (and I'm sure you probably agree) isn't the sole explaination for the ratings of these beers. Once the less widely available beers find their way to the top, there is probably plenty of "gravity" felt by some week-minded new reviewers to also review them high. But hype alone can't explain what sent them to the top in the first place.

That said, I disagree with status of some of the top ranked beers. I don't mind having a dissenting opinion on ratings - but only when it is an honest dissent and not backlash against the prevailing hype. For instance, it is easy for me to look at the hype around Bell's Hopslam and shake my head. I know that this beer just isn't quite up to par with the very best IIPAs that I have had. The first time I had Hopslam (fresh), I also had Dreadnaught for the first time in the same sitting. At that time, a few years ago, I had heard very little about Dreadnaught, but I found it to be superior to Hopslam. I'm not bashing Hopslam. I think it is a very good beer - just not as good as the hype and rating would have us believe. On the other hand, Pliny the Elder indeed blows me away every time I get a fresh bottle. I don't care about the hype or the ratings. I don't need a blind test. It's just that good to me.

I haven't been to the New England since 2010. At that time I had not heard of Heady Topper. If I had, I would have sought it out. Next time I'm in that area, I will probably would approach it with high expectations, because unless some group has been manipulating the reviews and ratings, it must be a pretty good beer to get to the very top. But I trust myself not to be swayed by the prevailing opinions. More likely I would be just a bit more skeptical because of the hype. In general, unfortunately, now that it is at the top, I do tend to agree with you - the sheep are out there ranting and reviewing.

RobertColianni likes this.
  15. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

Citra!!!

16. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

Oh yeah, I remember your rant on how Pliny was a mediocre IPA, what a joke!!

17. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (445) California Dec 21, 2011

Compared to the hype that it gets, any beer would seem mediocre. You must've missed the memo about opinions, what a joke...

RobertColianni likes this.
  18. mborden

mborden Savant (420) New York Jan 28, 2009

I came here expecting a scatterplot of "Hype vs. Taste". Where iz mai infographicz?

Rupert50 likes this.
  19. Citra lives up to tha hype..

20. Should've had that shit fresh, last year. Think of the sound of dynamite exploding on a Discovery Channel show...then think of your brain/mind.

alysmith4 likes this.
  21. No Alpines/Kern ...... WHat are we Savages? Nelson and JO need to be on this list as they are regularlly brewed.

22. Fucking A

23. I agree wholeheartedly with you, but there are literally tens of better IPA's out there that decimate any of the contending list, but are not sought after because the new wave of "beer advocates" are so new to the scene that they missed out on any possible experience of these competitors. I say it all the time; Moylan's Hopsickle is the best PA/IPA/DIPA/IIPA out there. The majority of our group, here, is too young (to the beer scene) to know this. The ratings are there, too. They just are too busy listening to the words of others, in my understanding, to seek out examples. The unfortunate thing is that with all of the hype surrounding BA Stout's/Barleywine's these days, I don't even think IPA's are part of the influential styles for advocates that really got drinkers into the scene. I recall when I started drinking around 17 (whatever), I was easily swayed by IS's/RIS's, too. Every one I tried seemed to be one up on the previous. It's so, because there is alot to mask behind such a rich beer. You could put anchovies into a batch and hardly anyone would notice. I see that as a direct cop out, and although I do love IS's/RIS's, I just don't view them as clean or direct enough to the truth behind the recipe to be viewed as such an influential style. Mistakes typically go unnoticed.

24. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

We are really getting to individual opinions here. The chances are low that one persons opinion is going to be the same as the general consensus because we have our own preferences. Personally I like Hopsickle, but have to admit I don't buy it because I never know when it's going to be fresh. It's not dated, and I want fresh IPA/IIPAs. I find Hopsickle it to be a member of the same breed as Maharaja, which used to be my favorite IIPA. Unfortunately, Avery released a series of sub-par batches between 2009 and 2013 (The most recent release, batch 17, is excellent agian.) Some other members of this "breed" would be SN Hoptimum, Harpoon Leviathan IIPA, Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary and Stone Enjoy By - the big high-gravity 100 IBU (calculated) IIPAs with relatively high alcohol and final gravity/residual sugar. I went through a phase where these were my favorite beers. I still love them, but I don't think there are as good as Pliny The Elder. Pliny is not as big of beer as these mentioned beers, but has as big a hop profile, and personally, I think Pliny's slightly drier flavor and juicy hop profile is a better masterpiece of execution. Again, that's an individual opinion. Like you, I am fond of my own opinion. I actually think my opinions border on undisputable fact.

25. Hahahahaha

Ohhhkaaayy..

26. Focusf111

Focusf111 Savant (340) Vermont Jun 21, 2012

I have to say, Pliny was an outstanding memory for me. It really was better than I could have imagined. I've had more than my fair share of great IPAs. I live in vt and I buy a lot of stone. Haha.

SnowFlowMfg likes this.
  27. Oh great, another "which tastes better" "is this hyped" thread.

Solution:
    Step 1: buy all of the mentioned beers
    Step 2: drink
    Step 3: decide which is tasty and which is hype

It's all personal opinion

Bonus step: send me all the above mentioned beers and i'll decide for you :)

Rupert50 likes this.