1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I am going to keep trying for rare beer tasting thing

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by atxdelivery, Mar 5, 2012.

1. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (245) Texas Aug 28, 2010

2. What makes that beer so valuable?

Anyways, i asked about getting off early on Sat but I don't think it will happen. At most i can see getting out like an hour early. So I'm not sure if I'll make it before most of the good stuff has already been opened.

3. Frozenmoses

Frozenmoses Aficionado (230) Texas Nov 23, 2010

Damn, I really wish I still lived in Austin for this. I've got all this beer and no one to share it with :(

4. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

It's a one off from a brewery in Denmark, that was brewed by Mr Hill from Hill Farmstead. Not too mention it has zero gots and looks pretty tasty considering it's a lambic saison blend that's been aged in Pinot barrels.
    Oh yea, it probably won't ever be made again, but I'm pretty sure CCB will barrel aged Hunahpus again...

5. atxdelivery

FYI, there will be a heavy Antonelli's footprint on the 24th.

6. atxdelivery

I spoke to a few new friends at Jester King and for other people who want to come I just want to make sure that those who are coming or thinking about coming know this is a different type of tasting. I am looking for brews that are hard to trade for, limited brewery release only, very rare or retired. Verticals are welcomed as well of not so rare stuff. If it is a new beer, make sure its something along the lines of CBS, Black Note, Hoonie, BCBVS, King Henry, DL, HF stuff or similar brews. Not looking to drink popular IPA's such as Pliny, Hopslam, anything local (except possibly Freetail stuff, BA 512 PP and so on), home brews or anything that is we can trade a Jester King black metal for. Not to be a dick but we can all agree its not fair to bring a heady topper and supplication if someone else brings super hard to get brews. Hope this did not scare anyone off. If your not sure just shoot anyone of the responders a BM.

7. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Sounds like a great tasting :rolleyes:

Photekut and Show like this.
  8. atxdelivery

Anyone coming in from Houston, Dallas or SA?

9. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

a hooker!

10. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

i traded black metal for hunahpu.... so that doesnt count i guess

11. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

12. xpimptastikx

Man, I still want to try that Brett Berliner Weisse! I had a trade fall through for a couple of bottles last month. Bummer I can't make this, but Fridays and Saturdays are just not my days for drinking beer anymore. You guys should do one of these early in the day during the week, or on a Sunday after 4.... I have a ton of things I need to open...[​IMG]

13. I liek sunday tastings O_O

What's with the Guinness?

14. rococola

rococola Disciple (60) Texas Dec 25, 2010

It looks like I can make it! I should be off around 4 or 5. Ill be bringing those rare cupcakes.

15. atxdelivery

Do those cup cakes have the hippy lettuce in them?

16. atxdelivery

Last post before Sat. The tasting will start around 7pm. I have rented the club house at my condo complex. They really only have one rule, no smoking inside. There is a patio right outside. I have food from Antonelli's coming, if you want to bring some other snacks feel free. Should be a blast. Just remember if you bring any crap you will be publicly humiliated, Just Kidding! Lets have a good time and enjoy some killer beer

17. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Savant (255) Texas Sep 22, 2006

Want us to help chip in for the costs? On top of food costs I assume you got to pay to rent the clubhouse?

18. Cover the costs... with... rare beer O_O (It's what Josh would want). I'd say a Wooden Hell or an M or a Toronado or an Isabelle etc would cover it safely.

19. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Damn, not only am i out of special brews, ill be in Beaumont for the weekend.

If we only had this a few months ago when i had BAPP, 3 and wild bear :(

20. atxdelivery

Any donations would be cool but not necessary. I dont think any of those beers are going to show up but that would be cool they did.

21. [​IMG]

Since I have to work tomorrow, and I couldn't decide what bottles I'm going to bring. I decided to just stuff all the ones I'm considering bringing into my refrigerator so that they are cool when I run home after work and I'll just choose then.

(Hint: None of the good bottles are in the front row.)

22. atxdelivery

Can someone invite Meola and his lady tonight? I am and the brews tonight might be heavy on the stouts, any other types of brews would be welcome. Lastly does anyone have black metal and das wunderkind I can buy or trade? Need them for a BIF trade?

23. wagenvolks

Brian's GF is on a month-long beer hiatus, but I'll shoot him a message.

24. atxdelivery

Does anyone have a GI bourbon county stout 10 and 11 they can bring so we can do the 05-11 vertical?

25. rococola

rococola Disciple (60) Texas Dec 25, 2010

Ill trade you the das and black metal. I think i have regular and farmhouse. Ill bring that Freetail stuff too.

26. atxdelivery

got a few of them already, can you bring das and buffalo

27. Harvster

Harvster Zealot (80) Texas Jan 5, 2009

I'd like go. I'll bring an 06 Lou Pepe Framboise, and I've got some other stuff that will work. Just need to decide which ones to bring. See you at 7.

28. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Savant (255) Texas Sep 22, 2006

I'm out- thought I could get my chest cold under control, guess not. So I got to stay in and kill it. Wish I could go!

29. atxdelivery

Tasting list coming tomorrow

30. I'm going to go ahead and try and list everything from last night. There were a few things drank before I got there, the ones I remember were:

Deschutes Black Butte XXI
    Deschutes The Abyss 2008
    Russian River Supplication

I'm missing two or three there, but I believe the list starting when I got there is accurate:

Bruery Black Tuesday 2011
    Goose Island King Henry
    Big Sky Ivan the Terrible 2010
    CCB Marshal Zhukov
    CCB Hunahpus 2011
    CCB Hunahpus 2012
    CCB Rum Barrel Hunahpus 2011
    New Belgium La Folie 2008 (C+C)
    Hanger 24 Barrel Roll #2: Humpty Bumpty
    East End Gratitude 2009
    Hanger 24 Barrel Roll #3: Pugachev's Cobra
    Bayerischer Bahnhof Brettanomyces Lambicus Special Edition
    North Coast Old Stock Ale 2009 Cellar Reserve
    Bruery Chocosaurus Rye
    Cantillon Lou Pepe Gueuze 2008
    Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise 2006 - Pretty much unanimous that this was the best of the night
    Cantillon Saint Lamvinus
    North Coast Old Rasputin XIV
    North Coast Old Rasputin XII
    (512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter
    AleSmith Decadence 2005
    Jackie O's Rum Barrel Dark Apparition
    De Struise Pannepot Reserva 2008
    De Struise Black Albert
    Kuhnhenn BB 4th Dementia
    Harviestoun Old Dubh 40yr
    Harviestoun Old Dubh 12yr
    Lost Abbey Deliverance
    Lost Abbey Red Poppy 2012
    Russian River Beatification Batch 003 750ml- The other contender for best of the night IMO
    Bruery Oude Tart
    Boulevard Rye-On-Rye
    Odell Saboteur
    Alesmith Speedway Stout
    Russian River Sanctification
    Russian River Consecration
    New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red
    Goose Island Imperial IPA 2007
    Mikkeller Monk's Elixir

Definitely a good night ^_^.

31. xpimptastikx

Very nice line up, there are a few I would have liked to try in there.

32. Show

Show Aficionado (235) Texas Jul 21, 2011

wow, with the pretentious nature this tasting was goin towards i was expecting some really rare beers..

oh well, as long as you guys had fun... :rolleyes:

champ103 likes this.
  33. wagenvolks

Here are some photos from the event. Great times had by all...thanks again Josh for setting this up!

http://imgur.com/a/WCkDe#0

34. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

Nicely done, I would be more jealous had I not had a great weekend of beer myself. Nobody offered me a smoke to wreck my palate with though. :(

Post-cheers cheerses to the great people of Austin,....and vicinity.