1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I believe I've hit my abv "wall."

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MVotter, Jan 20, 2013.

1. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Raise your tolerance. Get a bottle of bourbon (or whatever), a short tumbler glass, an ice cube or two, sip, and repeat. Then try to drink BCBS or any high gravity beer (not in the same night unless you want to be drunk) and viola threshold problem solved. No on has to drink high gravity brew but if you want to and can't I'd recommend this.

MVotter likes this.
  2. MVotter

MVotter Savant (280) New York Sep 9, 2007

Sipped, and savored...occasional, even celebratory.

3. I hope hopslam isn't included. I cant sense much alcohol at all in it.

4. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

De Struise Mesy was dangerously drinkable and well carbonated, tasted around 13% or so when in fact it was 39%!

5. I don't really look at ABVs, although I do enjoy finding a tasty, sessionable, low ABV beer.

6. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

One man's ABV ceiling is another man's ABV floor.

yamar68, Tom_Gilman and MVotter like this.
  7. I have no such limit. I will try any beer, ABV be damned.

8. I love high Abv. beer. Tactical Nuclear Penguin (32%), Utopias (27%), Special Kay (22%), Chocolate Rain (19,5%) were all delicious. The strongest beer (big bottle) I finished on my own was 100% Cuir (17%) and that was probably my limit, though if I had the chance, I'd probably have a good go at drinking a Special Kay on my own!

9. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Sink the Bismarck is also not actually a beer since it is ice distilled to obtain its high ABV. Thats part of the reason it tastes like rubbing alcohol, because it has all of the actual water removed. Without water, malts and yeast, a beer you have not.

On topic, I have had many high ABV brews and I don't see a "wall" in my future. If its good and beer then I'll drink it. I thought Utopias was surprisingly smooth for its 29% ABV. I love 120 Minute and Fort, both coming in at ~18%. I have some Black Tuesday @ 19.2%, but I have yet to try it. And there are many beers around 15% that I love. If someone slaps down a 23.7% imperial stout in front of me, by god I am going to drink it and hopefully enjoy it. Or spit it out. We'll see.

10. Depends on the brewer, quality etc. one brewer can make an excellent 25 % ABV beers whilst the others will be a boozy mess. I am for trying anything, higher ABV beers should be just drank differently, smaller quantities, slower etc. You wouldn’t drink gin as fast as a bitter would you?

I have had the Sink the Bismark – not very good but that is because they just send failed batches of beer to an ice-cream factory and not because you cannot make a good tasting beer @ 41% ABV.

Would like to try more high ABV beers.

11. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Yeah, BrewDog's eisbock projects are ghetto as fuck, but I never got the hate for Tactical Nuclear Penguin. Perhaps I was lucky enough to get a good mix of FUBAR batches, but it tasted pretty lush to me. It was still fairly beer-like as well, but obviously didn't hold a candle to the little miracles that Struise performs in their freezing tank :)

12. I liked Tactical Nuclear Penguin, it was like RIS gluhwein.

13. I can't imagine ALL the water was frozen off. And by that logic Eisbocks aren't really beers? Please explain.

14. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Anyone that says Eisbocks can't be beers has never had the Struise ones.

Look at Double Black, Messy or Special Kay and tell me that's not a beer with a straight face.

15. Rumpkin is the strongest i've had at 18.1%. I liked it quite a bit, same with Avery's The Beast, Deschute's/HOTD Collage, and DF's WWS. They're a nice way to treat yourself every once in a while.

16. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Freeze "distillation" leaves behind the Malts, Yeast, Alcohol, and some Water, and that is what you drink. So what you drink is still a beer by your criterion and by convention. Heat distillation drives off most of the alcohol, some of the impurities, etc. and that is what is collected and what you eventually drink without the Malt, Yeast, and most of the Water. Water is often added later to cut the ABV. But it is no longer a beer, it is a spirit.

Rochefort10nh likes this.
  17. Like others, 12% seems to be my flavor ceiling. I've had many, many beers in the 10-18% range and have come to realize that I just don't like the flavor of beers above 12%. I think it's the combination of booziness and sweetness from the malts, etc. that just don't come together for me. Luckily, there are plenty of beers to enjoy at 12% ABV and less.

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

As long as the brewer hides the alcohol well there is no limit to what I'll drink.

Beer-A-Lot and Bitter_Echo like this.
  19. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

I don't drink anything that isn't less than 2.7% or greater than 15%, because I find the 'moderate ABV-flavor' to be off-putting, but that is just my personal opinion.

20. JohnMark

JohnMark Initiate (20) Jan 22, 2013

It's not so much the ABV but rather the smell and taste. If I can taste and smell the alcohol, it ruins the beer (for me), so the threshold is subjective.

21. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

A few of my favorites are on up there: 120, Fort, D'Extra, Mephistopheles, The Beast Grand Cru... Wholesome goodness.

22. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Sure, 15% is pretty high, and probably not necessary. haha. But I'd still go higher. Avery routinely is able to brew outstanding beers upwards of 20% abv, with very little alcohol burn or alcoholic flavors. (Rumpkin, demon line, Tweak, Uncle Jacob's stout). There are some pretty horrible alcohol monsters coming out that probably would have been better at 12% rather than 16%...

MVotter likes this.
  23. Avery Rumpkin
    He'Brew Jewbelation Sweet 16
    The Bruery Fruet
    Avery Samael's Ale

Had to re-check the bottle to be sure I was drinking something 15+%abv on each occasion.

MVotter likes this.
  24. I'll drink any and all beer. Send me your super high ABV stuff. I'll be happy to polish them off for you if they are above your threshold.

25. The only beer to ever give me whiplash..

[​IMG]

26. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (370) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

I tend to like the higher alcohol content burn with things like Sink the Bismark or Jewbelation 16. The Sink the Bismark IMO was pretty damn good it had sort of a sweet taste with that burn to it. I'd buy another bottle if I could find one.

27. Until not long ago, I would deliberately look for high ABV beers. Lately I've mellowed out and find that most of what I drink ranges from the high 4's to the mid 7's. I'm not really into having one beer and feeling blasted by it. Of course, exceptions are made for high quality imperial stouts and barleywines, but those are more of a "once in a while" beer for me.

MVotter likes this.
  28. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I had Olde school barleywine from dogfish the other day and absolutely loved it. the 15% did not detract from the overall experience, instead, it added to the beer. I think its really key with those huge beers to have strong, healthy fermentations. You know it once they taste like rocket fuel that something didn't go right or the yeast couldn't handle all of that alcohol.

29. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I enjoyed the hell out of Sink the Bismark. It was like drinking an apricot flavored Scotch. That said, I split my one bottle amongst four people.

30. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I have an Uncle Jacobs sitting around, it's 18%, never tried one. BCBS is 15%, but it's not really all that boozy IMO, it's a big beer obviously. Like the 12 oz bottles, bombers seem a little over kill on this style.

31. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

nah. No max threshold here. I'm married to a Pole. 15% is water in this house. Before beer, I was drinking his devilsh cocktails. So beer, even bcbs, is light weight in comparison.
    I WILL say, though, that the higher abv beers have to be done right. When they seem harsh/boozy, it's not enjoyable.... should be smooth.

32. I've had beers that are 9% that seem "boozy" and yet I've enjoyed well-balanced beers over 15% that are smooth and not at all too high. Balanced . . . good. Not balanced . . . bad.

33. Labyrinth is over 13% and it drinks really easy. 120 can drink pretty good too. I have had many beers in the 8-9% that feel to be much higher ABV than they are because of the alcohol taste.

Go with your taste not the ABV. Drink less beer if its too strong as long as it tastes good to you it should be fine.

Enjoy

34. DrBrule

DrBrule Disciple (65) Michigan Jan 24, 2013

Bring it on!

35. Handle

Handle Savant (370) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

With a 15 percent threshold, you're going to be missing out on hundreds and hundreds of great beers.

36. I fear that a beer of too high an ABV often falls victim to a gimmick, if needlessly implemented. A reason example of this might be Jewbelation - Schmultz' 16th Anniversary ale (16 hops, 16 malts, 16% abv, which is admittedly low on the "extreme" scale), where you definitely have an example of "too much of a good thing." The overabundance of everything made it an overly-heated one note sort of beer, which I suppose could be what they were going for but it didn't leave a great impression, and a lot of "high-octane" beers tend to leave this impression

37. When drinking 14+% ABV beers, I often find myself wishing they were more like 10-12%. This year's BCBS is very good, but I would imagine they could brew a beer of the same average perceived quality at 12%. It'd be cheaper for them to produce, probably tastier, easier to drink, and people would probably drink more of it.