1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I have one night in OK City, what's new since last year?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by rocdoc1, Feb 23, 2013.

1. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

I'll be in OK City Monday night, is there any new beer I must buy and bring back to BEER HELL?

2. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (360) Texas May 17, 2012

Buy up any Prairie Artisan Ales you can find.

3. Green flash and brew dog have recently arrived in Oklahoma. As mentioned above, Prairie is putting out some awesome beers right now. My favorite is the standard. I'm sure there's plenty more that I can't think of right now! Hopefully others will chime in!

4. rocdoc1

Where can I find Prairie Artisan beer? Liquor store only?

5. If your wanting bottles to take back then yes liquor stores only.

6. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Ditto on the Prairie reccomendations. The Noir is my favorite, but all are very nice. Not sure if you've had any TallGrass, but their stuff is worthy too.

7. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (480) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

rocdoc, get yerself a COOP F-5 ipa on tap somewhere (like Grandads on 23rd). Right up the road is Byron's, where you can find some Native Amber cans or DNR bottles to take back to New Mexico. Ya can't go wrong with some Marshall or Choc Signature either. Be sure and sample our great Tex-Mex or BBQ too. Likker sto closes at 9 pm, mind you.

8. If you're gonna go tallgrass, snag their 8-bit Pale Ale. Comes in 4-packs i believe. One of my favorite pale ales to date. And ditto on the choc... I would check out the OPA if you can find it.

9. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (360) Texas May 17, 2012

I found all four Prairie Artisan beers at Broadway Wine Merchants (824 N Broadway Ave). And just FYI, you're not going to find any good beer in Oklahoma anywhere but at a liquor store. Another shop I recommend would be Freeman Liquor Mart (4401 N Western Ave). I didn't see any Prairie Ales there but did find lots of other good bottles.

10. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

prairie ale, fantome, 8 bit pale ale, tall grass buffalo sweat all great choices. the new batch of choc gose is really food to

11. rocdoc1

I usually hit Freeman and Byrons when I'm in town, but I'll try the Broadway Wine Merchants this time also. I'm staying downtown by the convention center, isn't there a good taphouse down there somewhere?

12. You are probably thinking of Tapwerks in Bricktown. They are doing a nice job of catering to beer enthusiasts (which wasn't always the case).
    The temptingly titled Bricktown Brewery has good food, but house brews are all legally limited to 4% ABV and vary from bland to bad.