1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I heard a great PBR conversation today

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by black13, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Nothing wrong with PBR, syrup or not. The 'new' Olympia is 95% malt, although the recent 12 pk i bought no longer says that on the can, Maybe it changed??

2. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Sitting in line at Jackie O's for a bottle release, a local "bro" asked why people were waiting in line. Someone told him we were waiting for beer that Brad was releasing that day. He asked how much the bottles were, and the same guy that told him about why we were waiting told him the prices. The bro's response? "Why the fuck would anyone pay that kind of price for beer when they could drink PBR and get fucked up for way less?"

I wish I was making this up.

Photekut likes this.
  3. goodonezach

goodonezach Initiate (0) New York Mar 24, 2011

it's peebs as far as i'm concerned.

4. It's all good brother.. The south will rise again..;)

TongoRad and hoplover888 like this.
  5. Let's not forget Miller High Life the Champaign of beer.

6. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I dunno, doesn't sound that surprising. Most of my friends are exactly the same, and they are pretty far removed from being, well, "bros". Then again, I mean, it's Wisconsin.

7. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (215) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

beerme411 and kansascitytrader like this.
  8. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Pabst Blue Ribbon, PBR, hipster Budweiser.. Whatever you call it, I'll never understand what the big deal about that crap is.

decimator and Tut like this.
  9. this post will be shut down...unnecessary snobbery...anyone want to bet?

10. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

I once heard this guy call his Bud, a Budweiser...what an arrogant asshole

11. Where I live PBR is the craftiest of craft beers. Luckily I haven't been here forever so I know that it is just slightly better than bud.
    Craft beer aside, if im broke and want to drink it will be pbr hands down.

12. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Ye gods man! Is there anything that you don't know!?

13. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

It all depends what your goal is...if it is just to get drunk then his statment is pretty accurate.

14. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

He's not terribly proficient on the history of graphic design, particularly early 20th Century advertising poster illustration, and his World War 2 historical knowledge is iffy, but that's easy to forgive considering this is a beer forum.

;)

AxesandAnchors and hoplover888 like this.
  15. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

Well, that would certainly explain MHL's Illinois roots...o_O

NABS and Chaz like this.
  16. DanimalFL

DanimalFL Aficionado (215) Florida Mar 15, 2012

Anyone who drinks PBR is a hipster. Anyone who drinks anything else is just a well disciplined hipster.

17. dukes

dukes Aficionado (180) Apr 2, 2012

Vodka for me. I can get a fifth for like $7. Much more economical.

18. sfsean28

sfsean28 Savant (390) New Jersey Dec 17, 2008

Its a Pabst for me. The young hipster crowd uses PBR.(BFD)
    At one time I lived a few miles from the Pabst brewery (and also Budweiser) and Pabst could be found on tap in every bar. it was good,fresh, and cheap and LOCAL. Its very nostalgic to see Pabst at a bar today but I can't believe the high prices they are charging.
    I ask for a bottle Bud to a young bartender and they look at me with a confused look on their face. They also have to ask twice to make sure they have the order correct. Sometimes they think I want a Bud Light, and I have to tell them that I want a Bud weiserrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. One guy said to me "Oh, you want a Bud Heavy." My response was" do you serve any Wee Heavys." He was totally lost but he was going to check with the manager.

Is it hip to use acronyms? Or is it that we are shortening our vocabulary because of the much used form of communication that is called TEXTING? Drink up and lets talk about beers.

19. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

Pabst Blue Ribbon is my go to AAL..............:D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winston_Smith likes this.
  20. well said

21. Sez the guy with one (count 'em -"1") Gregorian Chant on an Edison cylinder and whose ballet shoes have never even been taken out of their original box.:rolleyes:

IceAce likes this.
  22. steveh

There you go mis-quoting sources again, they're police beat shoes -- and they've been taken out a couple times. I just opted for more comfortable Adidas runners. :D

(you really think anyone is gonna get Edison cylinder?)

mintjellie and IceAce like this.
  23. Pabst Blue Ribbon always reminds me of the old 80's flick "Midnight Madness".

"Heineken? F#$K that $hit! Pabst Blue Ribbon"
    "Fagabeefe"

24. bigsippin

bigsippin Zealot (90) California Feb 9, 2012

Blue Velvet?

Forget pasbt. It's all about Olympia and milwaukees beast.

25. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Yep, it was the Allmans, then Dennis Hopper, plus the fact that it was dirt-ass-cheap that turned this nondescript adjunct lager into a hipster fad. I would be willing to bet that for every 100 people who spout hopper's line from Blue Velvet there's probably not one who could tell the difference between a PBR, a Miller's, Schlitz, etc etc.

Truth be told, I kinda liked it when the hipsters were into PBR, and I'm kinda sorry to see 'em getting into craft beer. Left the Pliny and the Abyss for the rest of us.

26. This is a bit of revisionist brewing history and is not backed up by the facts. In 1971, the year of that Allman Brothers At Fillmore East album, Pabst was the 3rd largest US brewing company- larger than Miller or Coors and outsold only by A-B and Schlitz. Blue Ribbon, its flagship, was obviously among the best selling beers in the country. Pabst would eventually peak at around 17 million barrels brewed in the late '70's - very few (6 total) US breweries have ever reached the 10m bbl. level.

Even at the release of the Blue Velvet film in '86, Pabst - though on the way down after being bought and spun-off by Heileman (which kept it's hottest brands [Lone Star, Henry Weinhard, Red, White & Blue] and a few of it's breweries including it's most modern in GA) and then purchased by the brewery-destroying S&P Corp. - was still in the "Big 6" of national US breweries. Even with many fewer brands than the company controls today (over 30) S&P Pabst still sold several million more barrels of beer at the time (a little less 8m bbl) than they do today (under 6m bbl).

So, while in popular culture of 2012, PBR might be remembered as some obscure beer on a classic album cover or in a cult movie, at the the time it was a major US brewing company.

Tut, tolar111, Norica and 1 other person like this.
  27. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Ok, never had PBR before, so I passed it in the store and saw it was $3.99 for a six pack bottles....to me that is crazy cheap (cheaper than Bud/Miller/Coors) so if it is better than most mass produced stuff I may end up giving one a try.

28. steveh

Someone wiser than us all (maybe it was Jess) once said -- and you know where this is going, so (Gregorian) chant with me now, You get what you pay for.

:D

decimator and JackHorzempa like this.
  29. I think that was "Captain" Frederick Pabst.

Or maybe Paul Kalmanovitz?

To which the Metropolous family responds, "Geez, we sure hope not!"

30. When I am drunk off quality craft stuff I start reaching for PBR. Once I am in that state there's no point on opening up good stuff that I won't be able to fully appreciate.

And I have called PBR "peeber" before.

31. Giovacchini

Giovacchini Savant (255) California Dec 16, 2011

I tried PBR on tap recently and enjoyed it.

32. So much for being a Beer Advocate, huh?

33. steveh

What's Fritz Lang got to do with this conversation now?

34. steveh

No, no, no... it's Beer Advocate.

;)

35. Is Kentucky Bourbon Stout some home brew you got going? I'm guessing most of us would prefer a KBS but if you want to send me one of your home brews, that would be cool.

36. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

That's what I thought we were talking about: current popular culture. But thanks for the lesson in PBR history. I'm sure that knowledge will prove useful someday. Like if I need to do a Cliff Clavin impersonation or something.

37. I've said that in conversation before. I get excited when I see Narragansett on tap and have the need to share that information too.

ShogoKawada likes this.
  38. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

I
    Not sure if it was the beer or the waxed paper cup...I hate that shit. What kind of savage, brain dead asshole, decides to serve beer in waxed paper cups?? I had Labatt @ a bar in Marquette served that way on draft w/a meal and good thing it was cheap, cause I couldn't finish from the crazy slick taste from that fucking cup.

39. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Say what you will the craft beer aisle is filling up fast with plenty of poseur's spouting off about IPA's ...why just the other day I saw some Johnny Knoxville lookin' clone in aviators and "worn" leather mumbling on to some faux hawk haired tool about Ruination being the only IPA, he drinks...YAWN. Way too many sheep, not enough wolves...

NABS likes this.
  40. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

PBR is what it is, the flavor is still malty, but there is flavor. Schlitz retro is the same beer at 2X the price, hard to believe other than a curious taste anyone would consistently buy at that pricing point.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.