1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I heard a great PBR conversation today

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by black13, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Since entering Ohio, Yuengling seems to be the go to cheapy in these parts. Had 4 myself @ a bar after eating and having a half dozen beers @ Great Lakes Brewing. Oh Grand Cru, you are a coriander rich bastard.
  2. Ohhhhh, my bad. :p
    steveh likes this.
  3. Hmm.. I'm recently 21 and love beer. Been pounding mainly IPA's and am trying to try as much as I can. I genuinely like the beer, but will still drink bud light with my bros without shitting on them for drinking garbage. How do I keep from seeming like a wannabe craft drinker?
    PS. Drinking some Sothern Tier DIPA, one of the best beers I have ever had.
  4. I like this beer, but you are only 21. If you plan on abusing your liver for the next 30+ years, Your tastes are going to change along with your reviews. Enjoy!
  5. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

I was merely pointing out that there are just as many hipster tools drinking craft as the niche old man beer of the year...I say live and let live, drink what you like and defend your freedom of choice, damn the torpedo's and down with the ship. Your taste's are your's alone, if you enjoy it and the hipster's do too, who cares...DRINK IT!
    LeRose likes this.
  6. DogTown

DogTown Savant (260) California May 17, 2006

I'd like to offer a closing note with a little inside info on Pabst Blue Ribbon... A few of years ago I wanted to offer some of my (Lagunitas) original shareholders a way to sell some of their shares to get their original dollars back and still stay in with their appreciated shares. The cool and very old-school beer guy who controlled Pabst (until they had to sell it a couple of years back because it was a 'charitable trust' entity) actually lived down the street in the little town of Corte Madera in Marin County. He had become a friend and when we did the little stock market for ourselves, he took some of his winnings from the sale of Pabst and invested it with me. I'd had more than a few Blue Ribbons over the years (I've got a 32oz'er in the fridge for today!) and noticed that the flavor had been cleaned up and the hops nicer and so I asked him about it and he said yes, they had improved the malt content, the lagering times, and the hopping considerably. He also owned Old Style, Hamm's, Stag, Schlitz, Oly, Old Milwaukee, Black Label, Special Ex, Acme... the legions of the mostly deceased brands. He was a sort of an undertaker, and he said that when PBR began to grow in Portland that he had no idea what was going on and morerover, it made him uncomfortable! He was not used to his recently deceased patients sitting up in the morgue and talking back to him. So, reluctantly at first, they decided that if craft drinkers were digging it, they ought to 'experiment' with improving it a little and see what happens. This is the best example ever of the tail wagging the dog. Craft brewers and their customers were helping large brewers find the motivation to actually improve their own beers! So, if you like PBR now, it is your own fault! It is better because you willed it to be so. Cheers.
  7. I went to the Chapter House in Ithaca and they had a lot of good craft beer on tap, Great lakes, Rogue, Stone. But the only keg that was kicked was PBR @ $1 a pint.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.