1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I just wanted my 10% off

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by NEO68710, May 2, 2012.

1. NEO68710

NEO68710 Savant (255) Washington Mar 6, 2006

So I stopped into Albertsons today on my way home from work to pick up some beer. They have a big sign that says 10% off if you buy 4 - 22oz craft beers. I picked up a Last Guardian, Hop Ottin, Hog Heaven, and a Old Schoolhouse Imperial IPA. I go to pay and no 10% so I asked the cashier to check for me. The manager says that the only one considered a craft beer was the Last Guardian. I'm not one for making a scene so I just said you and I have different meanings of craft beer I guess. Anyone else have problems with big chain stores pulling this crap?

2. I would have politely disagreed and left without purchasing the beer.

black13, NumberNone, Rback and 14 others like this.
  3. I would have less than politely disagreed and left without purchasing the beer.

NumberNone, Rback, jchoffman and 9 others like this.
  4. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

It's posts like this that made me absolutely hate my life for the four years I worked in retail. Thanks.

5. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Savant (485) Ohio Oct 11, 2010

Getting pissed off at a situation like that seems totally warranted to me. How the hell is a Hop Ottin not craft? Managers/stores that try pulling crap like this need to be called out and loudly.

6. Damn...getting you to buy 4 bombers of craft and just offering taking the "tax" off is still a profit to Albertson's and rip off in my eyes still to the consumer by forcing you to buy bombers, whereas the value sucks anyways.

That's complete BS man.

7. kiwifuz

kiwifuz Aficionado (165) Indiana Oct 27, 2005

Why? You'd prefer the nut case that starts yelling and flipping out?

8. Shut up. I was a customer service supervisor for 6 years, and guess what, the customer would have been right! And I would have agreed. And I would have fixed it.

9. JRod1969

JRod1969 Advocate (590) New York Nov 23, 2010

You should have bought some Blue Moon and Magic Hat to go with the Old Guardian. You know, real craft beer.;)

4balance likes this.
  10. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

No, I won't shut up. Glad to see how friendly people are here.

Yes, the customer was right - in this particular case. Regardless, though, if it'd been my store and my policy, the second the customer raised his voice or insulted anyone on my staff, he would have been out on the street. Now, if he'd calmly explained the problem to me, I'd be inclined to listen (and if I was smart, agree with him). But just because you're the customer doesn't mean I'm going to kiss your ass after you show me a complete lack of decency. And in this instance, the best thing to do after pleading your case? Walk out with the beer still sitting on the counter if they don't change their mind. Why be a disrespectful prick for such petty occurrences?

I can't even begin to tell you the number of free things I've gotten as a result of being patient in the face of customer service issues, or simple emailed reports of gaffes experienced at large corporations. Hell, my new bank literally bought me dinner, completely unsolicited, after I waited patiently for them to work them to work through a computer glitch. Bet your standing there and screaming at the manager in front of the other customers wouldn't have gotten you anywhere.

kuhndog and cmmcdonn like this.
  11. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Completely agree, this makes me think of the people on hardcore pawn, detroit people got issues...

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

This.

Normally I'd say 10% isn't that big of a deal and let it slide but in this case it would be principal. You make a sign, stand by it...or explicitly state the breweries that are part of the sale.

Arassuil and EdTheEdge like this.
  13. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

That is common practice in NJ. My favorite scam is the stores' requirement that the buyer have a 'club card' to qualify for sale prices and specials.
    Note to retailer: I got your club card right here, know what I mean?

14. The title of this thread brought to mind the immortal words "all I wanted was a Pepsi", and "I'm not crazy, you're the one who's crazy!"

The manager was either crazy or pulling a fast one. Obviously everybody here will agree that all of those beers were craft. Too bad they decided to play those games; I definitely wouldn't have purchased anything and I would've let them know I would be taking my business elsewhere. Thankfully, these days craft drinkers have more than one option.

NumberNone and AgeOfQuarrel like this.
  15. The only way I would ens up purchaing the beer in this scenario is if it was something that was limited release that I thought I wouldn't find again.

16. I stopped into a place that a had an offer of "$1 off any sixpack of craft beer" and brought a sixpack of Saranac White IPA to the counter and asked for the discount. I was told that "This is an IPA, the offer is only good on craft beer." o_O Not worth the buck to argue with the cashier, but it was puzzling.

(And here I thought they were going to say "Saranac is from a brewery opened in 1888 and whose flagship beer was once the adjunct Utica Club, how could it be 'craft"'?"...and I was gonna say, "Hey, it's not up to me, check with the Brewers Association!")

Providence likes this.
  17. Pitweasel, you are right. While there is a huge wide range of behaviors between "less than polite" and "a complete lack of decency," courtesy is always the best choice and is in fact the one that I always try to choose. But I am human and sometimes let emotions get the better of me after exhausting all other means of redress.

18. May be possible the guy doesn't think they are craft because they are dropped off by their Miller or Bud distributor and not their usual craft distributor? I have met some bartenders and retailers that think that just because Bud distributes the beer, that they make it too - I mean, c'mon, why would they distribute their competitions beer... :rolleyes:

19. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

How about the whole "Specials on Domestics"? That's always a laugh.

Holland likes this.
  20. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I don't expect people to be able to handle things any better than the machinery I work with. If an amp gets overloaded it is gonna burn out, and how stupid would I be to get angry at the amp? You retail folks better realize you are in a business where you are the cause of the overload, and better learn to expect the burnouts and deal with them, instead of expecting what isn't logical.

And yes, I have worked in retail.

21. I bet the sign was correct and just a misinformed manager. It's not always a big conspiracy people.

22. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Huh?

Maybe if we were talking about Best Buy or Walmart on black Friday you'd have a point.

23. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

My thought as well. A lot of the folks working at these large, chain grocery stores are completely clueless.