1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I know there is an everything JK but this deserves its own....

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by BruceBruce, Dec 1, 2012.

1. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

So I have tried every JK beer other then original Das and new Das, they were all great for trading but not my style really. All of that changed last night, Buddha's Brew and ESPECIALLY Funk Metal were great surprises for me. Great sours cant wait for both of these to top the SW Top Beers list. Anyone else tried it and am I crazy or correct?

Daemose likes this.
  2. I see youve been drinking again Bruce

3. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

I haven't had Funk Metal yet, I did love Buddha. It had the tartness I was expecting from Das Wunderkind.

4. BruceBruce

It was 9:25 I was still soberish...

FUNKPhD and greenspointexas like this.
  5. mattchow

mattchow Savant (380) Texas Jun 24, 2012

#drunk

6. cfrobrew

cfrobrew Advocate (505) Texas Oct 9, 2012

Be sure to get das uberkind when it comes out and boxers revenge if you liked those two. The new das was blended with non sour beer so it wasn't as tart. Uberkind won't be blended like that. I had it at funk n sour fest it was great.

7. Daemose

Daemose Savant (460) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Love all Jester King Beers.

8. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I had Uberkind on Saturday and I'm still thinking about how awesome it was.

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  9. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

I'd love to try some Buddha and Funk, wondering if they are ever going to hit stores!

10. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Buddha's Brew has already come and gone in Austin. I think I read D&Q got some a few days back.

11. LadyOfMuchBeer

D&Q is an hour drive for me(one way), by the time I hear about it, a beer is already on the floor and that is way too much gas to go not knowing if it will still be around when I get there. I really hate how distribution works around here. The worst part is, the law was overturned about breweries being allowed to tell us where to find their beers, but the distribution pieces don't really enable them to know exactly where it will be, how much, or when. Those of us outside the circle will never be able to get all the beers we want. It all sucks!! :(

12. Daemose

I live the same distance as you and I make the trip for the beers I want. You can call him and ask if he will hold one for you.

It's all about effort/desire vs laziness/capability.

gottabetweed and dcloeren like this.
  13. cfrobrew

Ive heard about an organic mart or something up there in the woodlands that had beer geek rodeo when it came out. Ill ask my friend that grabed that beer from up there for me. Daemose is right though, if you call D&Q he will hold you some until the weekend or something. It takes a couple of called sometimes since its hooked up to the fax too.

14. Bluestar

Bluestar Savant (300) Texas Mar 5, 2012

Has anyone spotted Funk Metal around Houston yet? I've called my usual spec's locations (smith street and spring valley) and both are yet to get a shipment.

I have a bottle of Das Wonderkind in the fridge I am yet to open... and I walked into my Kroger in the heights on Friday and there was a whole row of Buddha's brew on the shelf... only picked up a bottle, yet to drink it... if I had of known the distribution would be that rare I would have bought more... when I was back at Kroger on Sunday there was one bottle left tucked way in the back... I can go back tonight to check and see if there's any more (the kroger is really hit and miss) if anyone is interested in a bottle and can get me a Funk Metal in return.... ?

15. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Hubbell & Hudson?

And yeah, if you make friends with the various shopkeeps around town, they'll usually hold you some product. Twitter & BeerMail are beautiful things...

jbeezification likes this.
  16. cfrobrew

Yeah
    Yeah I think that's it.

17. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

The HEB off kuykendahl@woodlands pkwy and Hubble are the top two places to find beer up north

18. BeanBone

Spec's Rayford gets certain shit too, a lot of times you have to ask for it, though. Scooped some Enjoy By from there last week.

19. LadyOfMuchBeer

I don't chase every release, makes it hard to keep relationships for when I do want to chase. I'm not bitching as much as it sounded like, but I did give up chasing a bit out of discouragement.

I know Brandon would hold things, but I don't find out about them until it is too late for all that. Unless you are inside the circle...one does not know when things are going to be released/hit floors. I could do one trip to Houston, but three consecutive days, just hoping that is the day it gets released...its getting old.

20. BeanBone

Yeah, it's a bummer. I just keep the relevant Twitter feeds and BA in tabs in my browser and check every hour or so. Working in town is awesome. Back in the day before I worked here I had to just rely on Joey at Spec's texting and holding things then driving down from the Wooldands once a week.

21. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I can't find that stuff anywhere... lol

22. BeanBone

It's not a bad score for the cultural wasteland that is the Woodlands.

23. BruceBruce

You have enough stuff to trade me lol, msg me on FB and I will grab you whatever from DQ I go every day. For cigarettes not beer of coarse.

24. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

Expect to see Funk Metal in stores early next week. The distributer has it but there's a slight hiccup with the UPC. Word is there is lots of it.

LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  25. Daemose

Twitter.

26. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Does this include Houston? I know D&Q already had some.

27. Daemose

Dq doesn't use upcs/sku

28. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

True dat but any idea if they will be getting more in?

29. Daemose

no clue

30. BeanBone

I think Brandon's expecting a reload.

icetrauma and BruceBruce like this.
  31. LadyOfMuchBeer

Could also be about responsibility. I love my beer to pieces....yet....I try my best to prioritize. I just came so close to dropping a couple hundred on Etre Gourmet(they added new inventory yesterday btw), and then realized I have Christmas priorities to deal with. Sigh.....lol

Daemose and blatherbeard like this.
  32. Daemose

I understand.

33. Dont worry guys, there are over 200 cases of FM to go around, so itll be a lotta places starting next week.

D&Q is one of four or five places in Texas to get this beer (because Brandon doesnt use SKU's/UPC's - whatever) as of now. Nowhere else in Houston will get it until next week. Call all you want to places, but its not happening yet.

[​IMG]

34. LadyOfMuchBeer

Yep, word is official...some time next week,...so back to driving to stores every day waiting on it,.lol

BruceBruce and Daemose like this.