1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

I love Seattle!

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by podunkparte, Jun 20, 2012.

1. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

I feel downright giddy right now at midnight. Why, you ask? Cause I'm going whale hunting in the morning!

Hopefully pics to follow

2. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (550) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Didn't you hear? No whales in WA.

3. I bet i know where you're going!

4. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Portland?

hopsbreath likes this.
  5. You have made me very interested....

6. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (835) Washington May 12, 2005

I love Seattle too, but your bluff has been called!

7. youradhere

youradhere Savant (495) Washington Feb 29, 2008

Good luck getting you-know-what at you-know-where. I still say $85 is too much for a stupid bottle of beer. I can almost guarantee it will taste extremely similar to everything else that brewery makes. :) Good luck on the hunt for the dick they call Moby, mr. Ahab!

barleywinefiend likes this.
  8. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

If that's what this is about... I made the same decision yesterday evening. Plus I've already had it. Can't say I wasn't tempted, but just had to walk away. I did pick up a bottle of HotD Rose though, just because I'd never seen or even heard of it before.

EDIT: OP, if you didn't want us talking about this, probably shouldn't have started the thread...;)

Smurf2055 likes this.
  9. dirtylou

My guess - Deviation

tomholland and draheim like this.
  10. It was tempting though, wasn't it? I've had it as well but still tried to justify the purchase. I saw the Rose but passed. I might go back today for something else though. Some good stuff on the shelves.

11. draheim

Yes, was tempting... but it was actually a pretty easy decision to make. When I got home I tried to at least get points w/ the wife by telling her I passed up on a beer I really wanted (keep in mind, this is a first for me ;))... she just looked @ me all deadpan-like and said there's some $3,000 Gucci bag she didn't buy either. Has a point there.

BTW do you recall the price on Rose? I thought it said $13.99 on the shelf but got rung up @ $15.99. Two bucks I know, but that's a lot for 12oz of beer. So if that's an error I might bring in the receipt when I head back over for my Ruination 10 (whenever that happens to be)...

12. draheim

So... it's after 11:00... What's the story?

13. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,180) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Oh, we got whales, you just have to keep 200 yards away from them.

Kopfschuss, NWer and Mages64 like this.
  14. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

I got Rose and 'Mo Betta :)

15. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I CAN'T TAKE IT WHAT BEER DID YOU GET?!?!?!1!

draheim likes this.
  16. podunkparte

Sorry guys. I went to bed after I made the post and didn't check til now. Yeah, headed to Bottleworks for some Deviation hunting but no luck. I grabbed an Uncle Jacob's and a Mo Betta Bretta then headed to QFC U Village and got another Uncle Jacobs because it was cheaper there and an Old Stock Cellar Reserve for $14.99!

Oh well, I guess I just have to be happy with that excitement of the hunt. Something that kind of rubbed me the wrong way though, when asked if there was any Deviation we were told "We tried to put it out quietly for the homebrewers coming in but the local guys ruined that." Ruined that? Like anyone giving you $85 for 1 bottle of beer is a bad thing for your business? Alienating your loyal customer base is generally a pretty bad business model.

17. draheim

I wonder how long the Deviation lasted? I was there @ about 7 p.m. yesterday and there were at least two bottles on the shelf. As well as a few other BW anniversary beers, some old HotD Adam, etc.

18. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Yeah that would rub me the wrong way too.

Reminds me of the other day at a local shop. I had bought the last few bottles of a certain -bal a couple days prior. The owner/clerk asked me how I liked it. I responded that I loved it and felt a little bad about cleaning off the shelf. His response was "Well the beer doesn't do us any good on the shelf. Buy all you want." Kind of an obvious take but still refreshing to hear.

19. I was there at 3:30 and there were about 8. not sure but the row was full so however many fit in the row.

20. Smurf2055

I can see both sides of the argument. On one side, they were trying to put something cool out for people from out of town, who likely will never have the chance to get it. The fact that people bought it and told their local friends kind of goes against what they were trying to accomplish. On the other hand, there are still local people and frequent customers who deserve a shot at it too, because let's face it, some of us will never have the chance to get our hands on it again either. I'm certainly not dissatisfied with what I got. They always have some interesting bottles available, and if you really do frequent the shop, you are bound to find some hidden gems when they decide to dig in to the cellar.

21. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

How many Uncle Jacobs were at QFC?

22. podunkparte

4 or 5 on the shelf. Listed at $8.99

23. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Nice! Thanks man

24. podunkparte

Yeah, but if they have some ridiculous problem with too many people wanting something there isn't a lot of there's a solution: Brew it again. I fail to see how making money is a problem for a business and I think it's a little underhanded to sell something but get upset that certain people buy it.

25. Is there any Collage to be found in Seattle? I'm flying in on Wednesday.

26. draheim

Tons of it.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  27. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (410) Washington Nov 23, 2010

That is a crazy good price!! My wife got me some direct from Colorado and it was $11.50. I only have 3 left and will have to hunt down more.

28. Anything left there? At BW, I mean.

29. Whole Foods by my house on Roosevelt has cases of Collage sitting around the store.

30. Awesome.

31. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (545) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

I happen to be in town for the week from Minnesota. Strolled into Bottleworks yesterday, scanning the shelves, and spotted the bottles of Deviation. I actually asked one of the employees if it was really for sale. Couldn't justify the $85, but boy was I tempted.

32. draheim

Same deal @ Whole Foods Westlake (just north of downtown). At least 4 or 5 unopened cases. You won't find it near all the other beer, though. It's kind of in its own area with all the Deschutes cases, kind of near the sushi area IIRC. Was just there today.

33. draheim

Yep, that's what this thread was originally all about... As you might surmise, this is not an everyday occurrence.
    Enjoy your visit!

34. Want Deviation! Anybody able to help a Seattle Native?

35. dirtylou

$85 is quite steep, especially given I was just drinking 12oz pours for like $8 at brouwers a month ago

36. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Wish the Deviation had lasted as I'd have bought it. All that was left tonight was HotD Rose batch 33 which I grabbed for the fun of it. One bottle left!

37. podunkparte

They had some Bottleworks XI out this morning too but I didn't take one.

38. Smurf2055

But, like, there were seven Cantillon taps...how did you make room for Deviation?

39. NWer

NWer Advocate (670) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Are you sure it was a full 12 oz pour? I had it too and regardless of the size of the pour, I was thinking the same thing. My memory from that day is a little fuzzy.

40. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Is Bottleworks going to be putting bottles out everyday this week?