1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

I love Seattle!

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by podunkparte, Jun 20, 2012.

1. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Pretty sure it was a 12oz pour. I wasn't as impressed with it as I was the other times I've had a chance to try it. Seems like it's starting to fall off.

2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Craft beer. Paying too much for experiences you can barely remember.

3. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (810) Washington May 12, 2005

Yeah - it certainly wasn't a 6oz pour like the Cantillons (all of which I'd had before, unlike Deviation)

4. Why do I have to be out of town today? Atleast I get to finish up at Boneyard!

5. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,130) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

IMHO, you're entirely too nice. I think the comment by the staff member was a particularly stupid thing for him to say. If that's a concern (all those selfish, nasty locals buying up an $85 bottle of beer), then don't put it out on the shelf at all! Better still... post a sign under the beer ("this is only for nice, out of town homebrewers... silly, selfish locals are not allowed to buy this).

Sorry, but I was under the impression (silly me) that when you put a beer out on the shelf, it's fair game for anyone walking in who might want it. This will sound even crazier, I know, but I was under the impression that generally, it's the locals that make or break a local bottle shop, not some out of town homebrewers coming from out of the area who might not shop in the store, except on a single occassion.

Maybe the employee was just trying to be funny.... as I'd hate to think he might have said something like that totally in earnest.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  6. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

He was probably in earnest, since he didn't want an out of towner to complain on BA about their awful experience at a Seattle bottleshop.

7. draheim

I agree w/ what you say John, but for me there are a few unknown variables to consider. How often do you say something kind of stupid, or it comes out in a way you didn't intend, or you just speak before you think? I do this all the time, just ask my wife. Or look up "gaffe" on the interwebz. So while the guy said something stupid or ill-advised, I'll give him a pass on grounds of being human. It's not like he told the OP he couldn't have bought the Deviation if he'd gotten there in time. I was in there Tuesday evening (when there were still a couple bottles) and asked a clerk how much it was, the guy just said "$85." No attitude or anything. He could have said, "We're charging almost $100 including tax for this ridiculous little overhyped 750mL bottle of beer, can you imagine anyone stupid enough to pay that?" (BTW, I have had recent conversations like that w/ BW employees about the prices on Fruet and Le Fat. They weren't trying to dissuade me from buying, it was just idle chitchat about the rising prices on certain beers.)

So yeah, you're absolutely right that it was a stupid comment. Beyond that though, who knows what his intentions were—whether he was kidding, or if he just made a dumb offhand remark that he realized immediately afterward came out wrong, or if he truly believes the locals are "ruining" things for their special super-secret releases of rare bottles intended for an elite few. On its face it looks bad, I guess I'm just not going to condemn the guy for it.

8. Some of you boys are real quick to get your panties all bunched up. IMHO, you boys who are willing to pay $85 for a bottle of beer could stand for a little earnest commentary.

You know, the staff at bottle shops are damned if they do and damned if they don't --- they either piss off the locals who feel entitled to said $85 bottle of beer or they disappoint hopeful out-of-towners. I guess the staff person could have said nothing but then there'd be a local BA demanding entitled explanations for why his beer was not awaiting his purchase. Further, said local BA would squawk this entitled offense across the sewing circle that is sometimes the BA Northwest Forum.

At the end of the day, I think Bottleworks is going to do just fine. The locals who shop there tend to be very satisfied with their access and their service. Finally, I hope those who got their Deviation find it amazing. Cheers!

beertunes and draheim like this.
  9. dirtylou

This is just the landscape at Bottleworks - almost like a Soup Nazi environment - ask questions with caution!

The unpredictable nature of the shelves is part of the fun I suppose.

10. draheim

First and best-ever use of the term "sewing circle" on BeerAdvocate.

11. draheim

NO DEVIATION FOR YOU!
    Actually yes, I've really come to appreciate the random gems that seem to appear with no warning. Keeps me on my toes.

12. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

My Jimmies remain unrustled.

13. You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

14. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

15. dirtylou

Sad. And not the only one out there either. WTF is wrong with people?

16. draheim

Welcome to the dark side of hype.

17. dirtylou

What's the bright side of hype? Hype sucks!

beertunes and draheim like this.
  18. draheim

I completely agree.*

*unless obtaining a King Henry might be involved...

19. Mages64

3 chocolate rains this year?

Beerandraiderfan and waltersrj like this.
  20. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Wow, lame. Who's to say anyone from out of town wouldn't have done the same thing though. That's the nature of White Whales.

21. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

I d
    I don't believe that they are. I'm pretty sure it was just for that first night of the HBA.

22. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

I think you're right. I stopped by BW today and they only had one bottle of the Rose left. Sad face. I was hoping for a bottle of Bottleworks XII.

23. Mages64

24. draheim

25. John_M

Agreed... I make plenty of off-handed comments without thinking myself, so I know what you mean. In all fairness though, I still tend to characterize those types of comments as pretty stupid, no matter how innocent they maybe, and regardless of the fact that it was I who made them.

My reaction was more to the comment itself, as I think it's pretty obnoxious to suggest there's something wrong about your local clientele buying up an expensive beer that you put out on the shelf. Shrug... like I said, my reaction was aimed at the comment, more than the employee who made it (as I don't know anything about him, I wasn't there to hear the context of the statement, and for all I know it was just a poor joke or a comment that came out wrong). That being said... it's a comment that would have rubbed me the wrong way as well, and one that probably would have prompted some sort of follow-up sarcastic comment from me if I had been there (all those nasty, greedy, selfish locals, buying up all their $85 a bottle beer). Just my two cents...

podunkparte likes this.
  26. John_M

I'm not exactly sure I understand where you're coming from with this comment, but I think you missed the point of what I was saying. Just speaking for myself, I don't feel any sense of entitlement, which was the entire point of my post. I completely understand the concept of "first come, first served;" there have been plenty of occassions when I've missed out on a popular beer, just because someone was quicker on the draw than I was.

Most of the time when I've missed out on a popular limited beer, the response I've gotten has been along the lines of "sorry, we only got so many bottles, and the beer is sold out." I don't think that's such a difficult concept to understand, whether I'm a local who shops at a store all the time, or I'm an out of town homebrewer who is shopping at the store for the first time. On the other hand, if the clerk tells me there would still be plenty of beer X, but for all the selfish, greedy locals, out-of-towners, junior league members (insert your favorite group), that would probably catch me by surprise. My surprise would probably morph into annoyance, if the group the clerk mentioned was one I happened to identify myself with.... even more so, if I perceived myself to be a regular at the store in question.

27. podunkparte

Well said. I feel the same way. Buckeye, I'm not in any way upset that I wasn't able to buy a bottle or anything. I don't think I'm entitled to anything. I do however believe every customer should be able to buy what's for sale. If a store wants to dictate who buys a product, they shouldn't put it on the shelf. I fail to see how feeling alienated by hearing I'm not supposed to be buying a certain beer and feeling entitled to something are the same things.

28. podunkparte

29. Mages64

He called but oddly they were out of stock...

podunkparte likes this.
  30. podunkparte

I'd like this twice for "but oddly"

31. julian

julian Savant (340) Washington May 31, 2008

Heh, I've already got a few La Gourmande ;) leaving those for others to purchase.

32. If anybody grabs some old vintages of HOTD give me a yell, I'm always in the market...

33. I wasn't really directing my commentary at you or even podunkparte for that matter. I was more or less generalizing about the attitudes certain folks have around beer and entitlement. In hindsight, I guess we can chalk up my comment as just another particularly stupid thing for me to say.

34. I wasn't talking about you as an entitled local but lumped you in as a hopeful out-of-towner. You're from Everett, for chrissakes.

35. Mages64

Well does everyone know about Christmas in July? Bottleworks brings out a bunch of fun cellared beers, many of them being holiday beers, but many are not. I think that'll be a super fun event this year.

36. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

I love Christmas in July!!!
    #1- Cellared BW beers!
    #2- My birthday is July 17th!
    #3- Mages64 (Dan) dresses up like Santa and begs for Deviation from Seaghan and Trevor!

37. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Bottle shop sells beer for $85, dude on eBay sells it for $250 and it's only dude on eBay that gets the "WTF is wrong with people?"

38. Mages64

I apologize if I missed your point but I don't see a correlate. I see it similar to those Nike shoes. They sell for like 250$ for mediocre shoes and resold for thousands. Nike has the right to sell those shoes for what they want but they'd rather people who genuinely want those shoes to collect or wear them, not just people who will resell them. Nike releases those shoes to build hype as does Bottleworks. The people who resell them are looking only for profit.
    Im actually ambivalent about the right or wrongness or selling a certain beer for a certain price but I feel like your response is not a correlate. Bottleworks releases beers to advocate for better beer, release a world class beer, draw attention to a small local business and elevate beer to a specialty beverage not just an everyday beer. Ebayers just want to make a quick buck. This is why there is no outrage regarding Bottleworks charging a premium for a product they commissioned, own and helped craft.

podunkparte likes this.
  39. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

I just can't believe people get all disappointed and surprised that someone flipped these beers on ebay for a profit. It's an inevitable byproduct of the community hyping the shit out of beers and the bottleshop selling limited quantities for an inflated cost, no matter how noble you suggest their intentions are (I think I am a bit more cynical about their intentions than you are, but ultimately don't really care what they do with their beer).