1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I love Terrapin, but.....

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Tilley4, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (520) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

Love this brewery... love most of their beers... huge fan of Big Hoppy and Wake and Bake... but I might be weaning myself off of the stuff at $14.99.... a 4 pack... this stuff was selling for $8.99 a 4 pack just a couple of years ago and now im asked to shell out almost double? Had I not already promised some in a trade, I would've passed. Yes, this is a bitch session... sue me...
  2. Are just the special releases priced like that? Or is it across the board?
  3. lilnicky068

lilnicky068 Savant (330) Kentucky Jan 8, 2010

This is the reason I didn't purchase any last time I was down in Alabama. We don't get it here in KY and I was really wanting to try a few things from them, but not for the price.
  4. Tilley4

Not 100% sure? These were the only brews I was after from them but both 4 packs were 14.99... that's steep...
  5. DawgPhan

DawgPhan Aficionado (120) Georgia Mar 23, 2012

Wake N Bake was $9.99 @ tower when I picked up a case. I think that Big Hoppy Monsters was $11 or something right around there. I do remember Hopzilla being a little more than I was expecting.
  6. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (405) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

It is 11.99 a 4 pack here in Atlanta this year. It was the only beer from them that I would buy anymore. Now it is off the list too.

I do not mind paying for world class beer, and while I think it is the best one they make it is not in that category for me.
  7. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (575) Tennessee May 25, 2010

Yeah I love WnB but will probably pass on it due to the inflated pricing...
  8. drfabulous

drfabulous Savant (260) Kentucky Jul 23, 2005

$12 a four pack in Atlanta? Breakfast Stout is about that price as well. Expedition is $18 a six. About the same price ($3 a 12 ounce bottle). Doesn't sound so bad to me. Tell Terrapin to distribute to Kentucky. We'll take the rest. The $15 price tag may have more to do with local distribution and taxes than Terrapin.
    bradfordjohnson likes this.
  9. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I would pay $11.99 for a 4 pack of WnB, send that stuff to Kentucky!
    bradfordjohnson likes this.
  10. I've noticed that it just depends on the area it is sold in. The prices were cheaper a few years ago, but they also had to sell a small stake of the company to help whatever issues they were having. So it's possible they are just getting their financials straightened. It's not like they are any more pricier than any west coast brewer, or some breweries like DFH.
  11. however, $14.99 is pretty high. I wouldn't pay that.
  12. cvm4

cvm4 Savant (365) Mississippi Apr 27, 2011

I'd buy a case of WnB on the spot if I saw it. I think I went through half a case last year. But, I'm not sure when I'll be in Bham next. Hopefully they'll be some leftovers.
  13. I picked up a case for 75
  14. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Has this hit Nashville yet? Here for the week and would like to pick some up if its around
  15. I enjoy WnB and many other Terrapin beers as much as the next guy, but I agree that some of their pricing has started to get a bit inflated... Especially when there are equal or better beers on the shelf next to them that are less expensive.
  16. Tilley4

Midtown has some WnB and Big Hoppy at 14.99....
  17. That is a bit absurd for a 4pk, IMO. I won't be picking any up at that price, but Red Dog in Cool Springs might have some singles at $4/ea.

Having said that, I have found Terrapin's PumpkinFest mighty tasty, but that is low gravity and pretty reasonably priced. Tastes almost identical to Schlafly Pumpkin.