1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I need info from someone who knows how distributing works.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BradtheGreat7, Feb 8, 2013.

1. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Listen, I hate asking be questions and it seems lately I've been stumped more than once in the beer world. I currently live just outside of Huntington, WV but I go to Kentucky( just across the river) to buy all my craft beer and bourbon. A month ago we get a shipment of Zombie Dust and I did my fair share of buying it up. The only other FFF six packs we've ever really had access to is Robert the Bruce with getting every seasonal bomber except for Dark Lord of course and Dreadnaught and Arctic Panzer Wolf being constant year round bombers here. Now to my problem. The Bruce has become one of my cheaper go to ales and Dreadnaught is something I enjoy so much I buy 2-5 bombers every few weeks with at least 1 every week. I also enjoy just about every seasonal release from Floyds. But ever since that Zombie Dust we haven't had even a case of Robert the Bruce let alone any seasonals. The last seasonal was alpha klaus. The guy doing the ordering at the store says the distributor doesn't have anything from FFF since the zombie dust. I'm not sure which distributor it is, but another store tells me that distributor has told him they haven't had anything shipped from FFf in 2 months. Does anyone know what the freaking deal is here? Is it the distributor holding out? Is FFF going through some kind of expansion and things are backed up? Surely 4 stores couldnt have decided to not buy a brand of beer they move extremely well. I just know I'm tired of being told the same old thing when we are one of the very few states FFF distribute to. I know for certain they didn't just stop making their beer. Any info or help on how to find the truth would be much appreciated. I'm tired of being ran around.
  2. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Could be any thing. Some breweries won't ship until you order enough to fill a 53 footer so you go weeks out of stock at times. Could be a beef with the distributor. Could be fff is giving priority to other distributors.
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  3. Where are you getting your FFF from in KY? Beer House is the FFF distributor in my area (Lexington) but I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing favorites, like most any distributor.
  4. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

Trying to solve FFF's distribution and supply problems is like trying to come up with the cure for cancer.

No one can really get FFF on any sort of constant basis. My shop is only 45 minutes from the brewery and I get offered a case, maybe 2 cases of FFF every other week. I just got Gumballhead for the first time in like 6 months. You basically just learn to deal with it. They have 100x more demand than supply so there will always be shortages.
  5. Not sure about the history of these beers. I can tell you what might have happened. This brewery may have opened another state or two and may be having trouble keeping up with brewing. This happened to Dogfish in the Northeast about 18 months ago. The owner of Dogfish had that T.V show out and opened a lot more states but could not keep up with demand. The states that supported him before the T.V show suffered because shelves all over Ct were out of his beer. I also heard it happened in Mass and R.I. This is just a thought but again I don't know anything about that brewery. We don't have it in Ct. Cheers
  6. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

I live 90 minutes from FFF, I dont get a steady supply of FFF unless I drive up there. Its how they roll.
    fredmugs likes this.
  7. I work for a distributor (in NYC) and that could be it, especially if they aren't the biggest in the area. Like BeastLU said, it could be beef and priority is a possibility.

Keep on asking and if your shop keeps pressing the distributor you'll get your FFF back.
  8. Could be your distributor is lying to you.

Could be your distributor only sells the product to your store, and your store doesn't sell enough to warrant ordering another shipment until other local stores inquire about it.

Could be a problem on FFF's end, such as sending it elsewhere, brewing problems, etc.

Could be that FFF doesn't view WV as a pressing need to send crafts, since it isn't a major market. When they have extra to go around, you get sent some. But keeping the neighboring states happy is most likely their preference.

As a beer buyer for a major store, I didn't know these problems happened until they happened. And they happen quite frequently.
  9. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

This is kinda how cigar city operates in Virginia.
  10. Maybe the distributor burnt down.
  11. Shoo65

Shoo65 Savant (270) Indiana Oct 23, 2011

I order for a store in Indiana, I always tell my customers I work off of 3 floyds schedule, I always take whatever they give me. They are very random .
  12. Welcome to the world of FFF
  13. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Thank you! I needed a belly laugh.
  14. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I'm in Indiana 3 hours away and I have never seen Zombie Dust in bottles. An occassional keg but never 6ers.
  15. erichall

erichall Aficionado (175) Kentucky Nov 13, 2008

BeerHouse is the distributor in Kentucky. And they do get three Floyd's on a monthly basis. How much is the big issue. On premise comes first, big box second and the rest of us after that. They might be forgoing rtb to send the more limited seasonals. Bohemoth and rye da tiger just hit.
  16. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

Think of how the other 3/4+ of US citizens feel. We don't get any, at all, not even seasonals.
    iKasey likes this.
  17. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

There isn't enough Three Floyds anywhere. Welcome to the show.