1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I need some help with an international trade.

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by xpimptastikx, Feb 3, 2013.

1. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

So I'm doing my first international trade to the EU (Denmark) and I was wondering if someone with some experience in the matter could send me a message or post here regarding procedure. I'll be shipping about 6 bombers, a few 12oz bottles, and a piece of glassware, so the package will be roughly 25-30lbs. Would USPS be an option with this size package, or would FedEx be the better option? Also, which will be easier, travel faster, and be cheapest? The other trader said this size package is usually 80-100$ when he uses FedEx, is that about on average? Thanks in advance for any and all information!
  2. futura123

futura123 Savant (330) California Jul 29, 2010

Yes. USPS is the best and cheapest. I stick to the guideline share by my Denmark trader himself ( thanks Mark). It cost me $90 to send 6 bombers and some extras 12 oz. I don't think Fedex will even be close.

• Pack well please, at least 4 or more wrappings of bubble foil and use a strong carton box.
    • Always fill in: collectible glassware
    • Never fill in that you are sending more value than $25,-
    • You are always sending a gift
    tacosandbeer and claaark13 like this.
  3. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (320) California Jan 15, 2010

how recent was this? usps just raised their flat rate box to $77 but i'm sure if the price increase applies to all parcel or just flat rates. if this was with in this year can you please give a rough box size so I find a cheaper way to ship.
  4. futura123

My beers can't fit in a flat rate box. I think my package comes out around 25-28 lbs. My box is 18x14x12. Usually I just send 3-4 bombers in a flat rate box and if there is more I choose bigger box so more paddling/double box and peace of mind.
  5. xpimptastikx

Do you use the USPS online service and just drop it off like FedEx?
    Insurance and tracking?
  6. futura123

I just dropped by the post office ( work 5 minutes away from one). When you fill in the custom form, it already has the tracking number on top ( or they call it custom number, start with CW) and you use it to track your package. Usually when they asked about the content, I just repeat what I put in the form "collectible glassware"

International shipping is already insured to over $120 no charge ( they will tell you how much is the free coverage). You can buy additional insurance if you worry.
  7. xpimptastikx

Thanks for the info!
  8. I try to keep the box less that 20lbs, when much more than that, the price seem to go up exponentially.
  9. forgetfu

forgetfu Aficionado (245) Colorado Jul 27, 2007

I've had the opposite experience. I tend to send boxes between 60 and 70 lbs to Denmark.

It's a minimum of $75-$80 to send a 6 bottle shipper, or $150 to send a box stuffed full of 20-40 beers (Danish tickers gotta tick).
  10. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

11. Lam

Lam Disciple (55) California Feb 5, 2013

Thank for the info!
  12. I just sent a 12 bottle styro shipper to Sweden and it cost me $90 with a USPS account. It weighed 28lbs
    claaark13 likes this.
  13. Lam

What if I want to send a pallet of craft beer oversea. Let's say Asia. How can I ensure the freshness of the product? any advices o idea?
  14. Send it via refrigerated boat.
  15. Lam

That is going to be expensive............ouch! I wonder are there way to keep the beer cool without refrigerating it.

maybe a certain way to package the beer.
  16. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (310) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

Ok, here is a question, what are the chances that customs will catch the package? What are the chances that customs will impose an import tax? how can i properly pack and ship packages to make sure that it will reach its destination with all bottles in tact? (as in, i know how to ship bottles... but more along the lines of customs and foreign policies)

I would love to do trades internationally, but i want to make sure if i spend $100+ on beers, and around $100 to ship. That the person i send beer to WILL get the beers with no hiccups from customs.

Suggestions? Anyone have issues with customs?
  17. Your chance of customs confiscating it is probably relatively low if you do it right, but there are no guarantees that any package will make it.
  18. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

That had to be small bottles. a case of 750s weighs in at 37 lbs with the box...
  19. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (310) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

Btw, i have a guy here willing to trade Whales that you are looking for, for BA Whales from the states. Might be hooking you up with his name ;)
  20. Actually I think only 4 of them were 12oz/375ml. The rest were 22oz/750ml.