1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I never thought I would make a 200 mile round trip for beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ubenumber2, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Ok Im in craft beer waste land , so friday I am making a 200 mile round trip to get the following beers. Lagunitas HopStoopid , Sucks , Censored , Maximus , Cap Stout, Sumpin Sumpin , Schlafly Tasmania, Victory Hop Wallop and Golden Monkey and a couple sixers of different Bridgeport , I plan on dropping about 300 on the trip and other than finding the rare company to ship to Arkansas or trading , which I dont have a lot of opitions for trade , this is my best bet. To be honest , the first 60 miles are kind of one of those could have avoided but decided to make anyhow. What do you guys think , is it worth driving this far for these beers? I mean I'm going to do it regardless , just wondering if you seasoned vets think its a good trip

2. Jeez- I dunno...maybe if you hit up a White Castle along the way ;)

Do what you gotta do, I suppose. I really do enjoy a lot of those beers, and get them all the time, so at least you'll be getting some tasty brews out of it.

craigo19, godlessape, sholle and 3 others like this.
  3. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I might if I didn't have good beer stores all around me. Have you considered moving?

bunique686, sholle, DStoked and 2 others like this.
  4. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

It is if you have a designated driver and you can sleep on the way there and drink on the way home.

Goat_Warrior and ubenumber2 like this.
  5. Many times , but with the Modern Family type situation cant move until the oldest graduates highschool and heads to college

6. JoRado

JoRado Savant (275) Minnesota Oct 26, 2010

Yeah definitely worth it, even if it isn't for super rare beers. The experience and story will be fun to talk about when you are sitting around sharing a pint with friends. I took a trip to Milwaukee with a friend and we decided to drive down to Chicago for beer shopping and checking out Goose Island...when we were there we both thought about making the extra drive to Munster, IN for some Three Floyds...so we said screw it and did it. We had a great time and didn't regret it at all.

Chaseguuy, jgluck, HoustonZ33 and 8 others like this.
  7. Prepare to be told that this trip is literally nothing.
    People here travel cross country for weeks, even across countries and continents.
    All for the sake of some beer.

With that being said, do it!
    I drive to Denver often (120) as my friend's parents own two stores and often I am spoiled with the prices.
    Beer is always worth the drive if it is worth it to you. When you get back home, it'll taste that much better!
    (Don't get HopStoopid, or Golden Monkey; way better beers out there)

Superdad likes this.
  8. Yeah I know people drive and even fly to get the beers they want , but for the average Joe , middle class American driving 200 miles and spending 300 bucks on beer is kind of a big thing for me. I have no access to these beers otherwise and really really want to try them all

9. 200 miles? Amateur hour! To worship the beer gods, many have traveled far longer. Including myself!

DStoked, HoustonZ33 and BMitch like this.
  10. Good brews are definitely worth a drive. I've driven farther...

oldp0rt likes this.
  11. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

Beer or not, 200 miles isn't all that far for a round trip. With the way I drive I'd be there and back in 2.5 hours or less!

Ernest_Hooper and VitoFerrante like this.
  12. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

I just drove a 20-hour round trip to DFH. Go for it.

RelentlessLefty likes this.
  13. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Hop Stoopid, Sucks, and Sumpin Sumpin are all amazing brews.

14. Definitely amateur hour. I just drove 461 miles to Russian River (and that was just the way there).

15. If its worth it to you then its all good make a road trip out of it and have a good time and remember it

djsmith1174 and ShameAndFailure like this.
  16. dickieb

dickieb Initiate (0) Rhode Island Mar 26, 2006

I did a 350 mile in the snow trip for Heady and Hill Farmstead a few months ago. I recommend having some friends with you so you can talk about how stupid and fun the trip was for weeks after.

17. People in Los Angeles commonly have a 1 hour commute (2 hr round trip) daily just to get to work (to earn money to drink beer!) do it!

18. Let us know what you think of the beers. I would also move closer to good beer as soon as you can. Move to Munster or Pittsburgh! Tons of great local beers in those places and crazy access to everything else (almost).

19. I do a 900 mile round trip for HT and Hill Farmstead........ Worth it!!

20. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

I've been known to put on 1200 round trip miles for good beers, and but I always figure in something else to do if its a real mile buster...typically camp, day hike, check out museums...no use in being single minded, is there? But we all know too, if the trip is aimed at a store, then that is the reason for the trip. My wife and I made a metropolitan run recently (round trip around 175) and I picked up fresh fresh fresh and cheap bombers of Hop Stoopid and others, and then swung by a deli where we could buy fresh, super authentic raw falafel by the quart. Now mind you, the visit didn't entirely make any real economic sense in the least...gas at $3.50 plus, and traffic and everything else considering, but both my wife and I couldn't find a thing wrong with it. So, the Stoopid was like, eight bucks/bottle and the falafel prolly ran us 20 skins a pound after transport fees...still, 10 short days later all the beers and all the falafel was done. Amazing what one will do when one kinda stuck in the boonies (not complaining at all either, give me the boonies!). With that, I say, GO!

NABS and TongoRad like this.
  21. Sounds like a great trip to me and can be done in an afternoon for sure. Keep in mind though a lot of those beers are better fresh. So if you plan on taking a few months to go through them all drink the hoppier ones first or try to pick up some extras that wont mind sitting around your house for awhile.

22. Have you ever considered home-brew? You can order everything you need online and brew what you like. I had really great success from the get go and quickly progressed. Luckily I can buy many great brews close to home, but I do enjoy brewing and drinking my home-brew as well.

23. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Don't get me wrong, those are great beers, but if I lived somewhere where I needed to drive 200 miles for that level of quality, I'd move.

24. I can definitely relate to how you feel, OP. I live in WV, so there's not much of a selection for good beer. Luckily I'm only 8 miles away from a beer distributor in PA that has a pretty good selection, and only an hour away from Pittsburgh. My plan is just to wait until one of my friends goes to Pittsburgh, and tag along with them to pick up some beer that I can't find around here.

But in regards to your question, I'd say go for it. If you've got the 300 to spare and you know that it'll be worth it in the end, no question about it.

25. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (600) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Some of those are great brews but it seems a shame you'd have to drive so far for them!

I would only make that sort of a drive for something quite rare.

26. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Running down to Seattle for a release or a fest is a 200m round trip for me. Do it often.

27. Don't say you weren't warned....

mikeburd1128 and Dtapeski like this.
  28. Squidly

Squidly Savant (435) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

My daily commute is 140 miles... o_O

But I say go for it... don't let anyone make you feel bad about the beer you're getting either. That's some solid stuff. Doubly so if you can't buy it near you.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  29. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

I'd do it. I drive 300 miles a day selling the stuff! I say a day spent buying beer is a day well spent.

1424IpA likes this.
  30. x37x

x37x Aficionado (150) Wisconsin Oct 21, 2012

Don't listen to him (imho). I love Golden Monkey! :)

1424IpA likes this.
  31. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I drive to Ohio frequently. :)

32. Oh I like Golden Monkey, but I'd never go out of my way for it.

33. I've done 400 miles round trip.

Just call out sick from work and do it in the middle of the week.

The key is to get a lot of beers that won't go bad. That way you can stock up and don't have to make the drive so often.

HoustonZ33 and tobelerone like this.
  34. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

200 miles for that list says one thing to me. You need to move.

35. Hit Rivertowne in Export. All the cans are in for all six of their beers.

36. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (585) Texas Dec 28, 2012

Man, thanks for making me realize how fortunate I really am. I mean I hear it all the time from my wife how ungrateful I am but I never listen. Reading this makes me realize.

BigBarley and Kopfschuss like this.
  37. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

if your driving that far I would try to find a good beer store that sells single bottles and buy three of each rather than a whole sixer. stretch your buck out. I would also find a local alcohol store, chum up with the guy who does the orders there and see what he can get.

38. BigB415

BigB415 Savant (290) California Aug 24, 2010

Try almost 2000 miles. I did that last summer for vacation just to go to 10 breweries and I'll be doing it again in April for about 9 more.

craigo19, Lantern and aasher like this.
  39. $300 could buy you a homebrew kit and enough money leftover to get ingredients for 4~ 5gal batches.

I'd go that route if I was in a beer wasteland, I'm not, but I still homebrew anyways.

MilkManX and Roudy like this.
  40. Roudy

Roudy Savant (295) Georgia Aug 20, 2009

Nice avatar

BaltimoreBeerGuy likes this.