1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I never thought I would make a 200 mile round trip for beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ubenumber2, Feb 12, 2013.

1. I drove from Charleston, SC to Charlotte, NC (about 350 mile round trip) just for some Hopslam. That was before SC got bells. And when I got there they had a 1 sixer limit. When I told my sad Story they let me get 2. I also used to drive from Chas to Savannah pretty regular to get DFH (220 miles) back in the day. I would usually make a day out of it and get a good meal and a few beers.

2. Cuzco

Cuzco Savant (340) New York Mar 22, 2008

Dark Lord Day. 1602 miles round trip from NY to 3 Floyds Brewpub! Drive straight through both ways. 200 is nothing! While all of those beers are available within a few miles of my house they are all worth picking up.

3. I live 104 miles from Three Floyd's. I make that trip about once every 3 or 4 months because well, their beer is amazing. It's worth the trip anywhere your driving IMO. If anyone on this website is like me, which I imagine there is. I do it because I love drinking beer, sharing beer, collecting beer and especially beer tastings (wife just calls it drinking). It's my hobby. If you have the time and money go for it!

craigo19 likes this.
  4. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I'm about 180 from Three Floyds but haven't made the pilgrimidge yet. I am planning my next hiking trip on the Long Trail (900+ each way) so I can hit up The Big Three in northern Vermont. Hopefully this fall we will road trip for some Colorado hiking to coincide with GABF.

5. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

According to mapquest, muskabeatz, backfat, and inferno75 and myself drove 1,200 miles round trip to Surly for Darkness Day. Damn that was a long trip! So, it gets worse.

6. You may have some trouble finding schlafly TIPA because they are now brewing the AIPA, if you are coming into Missouri very far let me know, I may have a bottle or two for ya

7. Now that's a trip I've been wanting to make for quite some time now. You have to let me know how that drive is. My friends and I have planned a zig zag trip towards Colorado and back this summer. We're going to see how many brewery's we can hit there and back in a weeks time. Hoping to make the Vermont trip next year. Good luck on your trip and if you ever plan a Three Floyd's trip you won't be disappointed, unless you expect getting in right away and nice friendly service. You can't go wrong with their beer though.

8. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I have no choice other than a 200 mi round trip for good beer. There are a couple of stores I buy from in town, but they don't keep the upper shelf stuff.

9. My uncle drove from San Antonio to Dell in Austin wear he worked for about a year. That's like an hour and a half one way.

10. danpam1024

danpam1024 Aficionado (175) Florida Oct 31, 2012

Pack an empty cooler with ice. Think about it...
    You'll have them ready by the time you get home.

ChanChan likes this.
  11. I do this and more when I head down to San Diego.

12. He said a 200 mile round trip.....hahaha welcome to beer.order that shit online.only road trip i need anymore is Waterbury area

13. Racer X says we drive 1/2 that daily for work and just last week drove 120m round trip for some BCBCS. Tonite we drove 80m round for the privilege of trying Cherry Rye on draught. We made our first 200m trip to NYC for some BCBS (and some killer Portugese BBQ where English is barely spoken) in early October, first in the area to get it. The number 9 car gets some damn good MPG. It's all about the adventure.

14. We have flown to Europe for vacation. Mucho beer was consumed. Some places were visited, but a lot of beer went down.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  15. I guess I've been spoiled. I have most of those available to me 6 days a week, less than 3 miles from my house. But, if it's the only way to get your hands on what you like, I say "get your motor runnin' .... "

16. Id never actually drive my car that far. Ill gladly get in the car with someone again for ORF or BASC (somewhere near 100 mi).

17. That's roughly a 4-hour trip when all's said and done. Well worth it, IMO, unless you can get these beers shipped to you for cheaper than what the gas will cost you.

18. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Do it up! Grab what you want but I find it's more fun to grab a few bottles of stuff you've never heard of before.

19. Books on tape anyone?

ChanChan likes this.
  20. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

If you see any Victory barrel aged beers pick them up!

21. I am also driving up to VT for Heady and HF this Spring Break. Round trip is about five hundred miles, worth it!

22. When I lived in Oklahoma (craft beer hell) I used to drive 250 miles round trip to Wichita, Kansas to stock up on good beer. The trip always seemed so long on the way there, but having a case of Odell Myrcenary riding shotgun on the way home made it all worth it!

PalatePilot likes this.
  23. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

I'm considering draggin' the wife and son out to Vermont in the near future, possibly after the New England thaw to do the same, pretty much all backroads from Maine, so it'll be interesting, if I pull it off.

Damian74Shensky and YogiBeer like this.
  24. atone315

atone315 Advocate (680) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

I drove the entire circumference of Lake Michigan to grab beer....it was about 1300 miles and it took 5 days. Packed the car to the gils!!!

25. that IS my bucket list.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  26. take a buddy or two with you. and try to find a brewery or two to stop at along the way. definitely worth it. also see if any other beer lovers you know might want something and have them chip in on the cost of gas.

27. This is what Nike meant when they said "Just Do It"

Pack us much into the trip as you can, you'll feel like you're getting your $$ worth that way. Sure, I could have said I drove 1200 miles RT for 8 Alesmith bottles last weekend, but when you throw in Alpine, Societe, 2 Pizza Ports, Bruery and some adult road trip time with the missus, it makes you convince yourself "I'd be stupid not to make this trip!"

28. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (370) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

If you don't want to make the drive, order the beer online and have it shipped to your front door.

29. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

If you want some KBS or Bourbon county BM me. I like your passion. You need to try some great beers. Don't worry bout $ or trading me anything.

MontereyBay831 likes this.
  30. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

I drove over 300 miles round trip in one day from Chicago to Kalamazoo just to get a case of Black Note. And I'd do it again!

31. Those are so common you dont even need to. Order those online. If youre traveling then i suggest get a little more rare

32. Haha I've done 400 just for beer alone, 200 is nothing. You get used to it after a while. And more importantly find that the trip was totally worth it!!

33. terryg75

terryg75 Zealot (80) Sep 23, 2012

Do it dude. In March I'm driving almost 6hrs one way up to founder's for the kbs release with the wife and girlfriend. I can't freaking wait!

34. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

I'm with ya and your beer pursuits. I regularly drive 50 miles to pick-up ONE bottle. Girl on a mission....

35. Where are you heading to? Missouri? It's a 100 mile round trip for me, and I make it at least once a month. I think it is absolutely worth it. Only thing I would do before you go, make sure to call the store ahead of time and see if they still have some of those in stock. The Tasmanian was a seasonal that came out a while ago. I know that Schlafly has since released their next seasonal IPA, the American IPA.

36. The things i've done to men for beer.......never would have thought it would be worth it.

37. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Do it. Don't listen to these hoser's. Driving for beer is a great, life satisfying experience.

38. You should definitely do it.
    Not to make you feel bad, but on my way home from work I drive past 3 stores where I can get all of those beers (in season)

39. Are you going to a beer store or going for just these brews? I would skip the Bridgeport. I just don't know what else you can get at this destination.

40. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

200 isn't much. About 4 hours and, unless you're driving a tank, $30 in gas. If you're really in a wasteland I wouldn't hesitate to go and stock up. And sure, while much of it is best fresh, even months-old bottles will still probably blow the walls off whatever you can get in your proverbial wasteland