1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I never thought I would make a 200 mile round trip for beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ubenumber2, Feb 12, 2013.

1. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

I thankfully can Missour for a relatively short 75 mile round-trip. But for good Oklahoma stuff its a 140 mile round trip to Bartlesville or 190 to Tulsa/Jenks. Oh the joys of living in the country:eek:

DelMontiac likes this.
  2. andjriz

andjriz Aficionado (185) Georgia Jan 31, 2011

Last year a buddy and me did a 1,600 mile drive to DLD 2012 (from Oklahoma). For pit stops, we checked out beer stores along the way. Wandered into a tiny liquor store in IL, saw a case of KBS on the shelf...and they let me buy the whole thing. Still smile whenever I remember the trip.

And to think I had ALMOST decided to fly to DLD. Beer tourism rocks, check out the "Places" tab and map ur trip.

3. 6 hours in the car with your wife AND girlfriend? Either that's a long, awkward silence or I need to follow your video exploits on the interwebs. Best of luck to you, sir.

NABS likes this.
  4. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (360) Florida Jan 26, 2012

barefoot and uphill both ways

5. I'm regionally biased, but make the trip to the KC area (Boulevard, Free State, Tallgrass) or St. Louis (Schlafly, Perennial) for some great brews and MO gets a TON of great stuff.

6. nachos

nachos Aficionado (240) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

200? pssh whatever brah, that is wizeak! Me and my homeys drove 2,000 miles for craft brewskis once. We must've circled around Indianapolis prolly 10 times. Eventually, I had to go poop in my favorite Afflicition Jeans at least three or four times. Totally ruined the badass designs on the cheeks parts, but don't matter, da ladies in da club still love it. But, fuck it brah, we were going to figure out how to make our way from Chi City no. 1 USA, to Blunt City Brewery no matter how many times we missed our exit.

BOTTOM LINE: If you aren't pooping in your Afflicition Jeans, you are not really into craft beer.

7. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Savant (275) Iowa Nov 1, 2012

If you saw my post on the hauls thread....Yesterday I drove over 400 miles round trip to FFF. Best trip I have ever made. Good food, amazing beer, and a beer road trip I will never forget!

Lantern likes this.
  8. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (480) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I drove to Dallas once (or twice) or more, just to get sum sixpoint Bud. I drive 500 miles, 500 miles... well, you know the song. Southern Star makes sum really good Texan beers. Pine Belt, I'm lookin' at you!!

9. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

I've driven 365 round trip for two 750 bottles of Black Note. And I will be going farther next month for KBS. That said all the beers you listed are available a mile from my house. But I guess it depends on where you are. If I lived in an area flooded by urine samples and the best beer available was blue moon I might just do it. Or I would move.

terryg75 likes this.
  10. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

It really does make me thankful to be where I am at, and if beer is at the source of your passion, driving to get what you love is always worth it.

I personally would not drive to get anything special if it is not already in my area. I gave up driving 6 years ago and yes this may be a surprise to many in our culture and not doable to most, but it was a choice I made in which I am happy for. As well I traveled so much in youth that I saw 43 states before I was 19 so for now I am done with travel. I walk and bike everyday which keeps me healthy so I never complain. I seriously ride and walk in the rain and snow just like the post office.

I do plan to go to Italy to see my grandpa's hometown so I will be stopping at breweries while I am there. But even I would not go just for that as much as that surprises those who know my love for Italian craft.

I may be the most unusual dude around just because I am trying to be simple these days.

11. Jadjunk

Jadjunk Savant (345) Georgia Dec 6, 2009

Good beer is worth traveling for! My strategy for reducing trips to out-of-the-way stores is by calling ahead and confirming whether they have what I'm looking for, and try to find one that has the most at the closest location. That'll really save some time and (gas) money, and wear and tear on your vehicle!

12. terryg75

terryg75 Zealot (80) Sep 23, 2012

e="CMack, post: 954757, member: 184817"]6 hours in the car with your wife AND girlfriend? Either that's a long, awkward silence or I need to follow your video exploits on the interwebs. Best of luck to you, sir.[/quot

Trust me bro, if they'd let me video tape it I could pay off my house and buy all of us a beer! But since we are all professionals in a rather small town they won't. They both like beer but not as much as I do so we all have a good time on the weekends. The wife doesn't like kbs but loves Old Stock and the gf loves kbs and all the stronger stuff so they were both down for the trip up north. We plan on going on the 28th if anybody wants to meet up for a beer.

craigo19 likes this.
  13. Things I'd make a 200-mile round trip for, in no particular order...

1.) My wife (or when she was my gf or fiance)
    2.) The Smashing Pumpkins (original lineup with Billy, James, D'arcy, and Jimmy) or Sirenia with Henriette Bordvik as vocalist.
    3.) Beer. Glorious Beer.

Lantern likes this.
  14. terryg75

terryg75 Zealot (80) Sep 23, 2012

'Urine samples'...i fucking love that!

Lantern likes this.
  15. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Aficionado (210) Nevada Feb 19, 2011

I agree, took me 6 hours roundtrip to visit Marcat and it turned out just fine:cool:

MarcatGSB likes this.
  16. Rt 19 Beer & Cigar
    3626 Washington Rd.
    McMurray PA
    724-941-2345

This place has a great selection and will order you anything they can get. Might be worth a call before you make the trip.

17. how far is Brussels from DC? Hill Farmstead is only 11 ish hours from me, so I feel lucky. 200 miles is an out and back.

18. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

I'm going to Paris in a few months and extended the trip a few days JUST so I could go visit breweries in Belgium, Holland, and, time permitting, Germany. Unfortunately I haven't been drinking craft beer enough to fully appreciate or know what I want, but it should be a great experience.

19. Cantillon

Rohkey likes this.
  20. That's a great post for the "Latest Beer Haul" and shame on you if you didn't! :cool:

21. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I live in the heart of Texas so 200 miles is a couple counties over. I don't know if I've ever gone quite that far specifically for beer but I do make the trip to Freetail in San Antonio every couple of months. It's about 160 miles round trip and always more than worth it...

22. I regularly do a 350 mile round trip for Heady Topper, Hill Farmstead and Lawson's. It's worth it, Vermont is awesome not just for the beer

Lantern likes this.
  23. San Diego is a 200 mile round trip, and I've done it twice already. Alesmith BA Speedway and Wee Heavy release and O'Briens' 'Tion Day. I've contemplated going down to Alpine, but haven't done it yet.

24. colonel_bathtub

colonel_bathtub Aspirant (30) Feb 13, 2013

Made a haul from Portland back to Chicago in October. May as well been Texarkana with all the Deschutes, Upright, and Pelican in the trunk.

25. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (720) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

i just made a trip like that w a friend for only 2 6 ers of nugget nectar. do it w a friend for sure

Lantern likes this.
  26. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (720) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

im in china now where i brought beers to trade w alocal brewmaster plan to haul those from boxing cat home w me. thats a far haul

27. To reply to some of the post here
    I might if I didn't have good beer stores all around me. Have you considered moving?
    Ummm , no. Married with children one child from divorce , he lives here will not move and be away from him for much of anything

To the Homebrew comments.
    I do homebrew , I have 2 better bottles fermenting away as we speak , the grain bill together for another one to brew and about 97 bottles of homebrew to drink , just not the same as getting to try new beers

As far as local stores and getting to know the beer guy there
    One decent store and its 35 miles away , I have a good relationship with the beer guy but its South East Missouri and he does what he can , he got Hopslam and FBS and a lot of other good beer but still limited to what he can get . I live in a dry county , the closest liquor store to me is 15 miles away and they have a craft brew section but most of it is old and out of date

Seeing things along the way or there ; Breweries , museums , good restaurants. There are none , its flat farm land , thats it , nothing to even play I spy with

For the order online comments
    Most companies will not ship to Arkansas , its against the law here to recieve beer by mail so the good companies wont touch it

Thanks everyone for all the comments , its cool to see what people are willing to do or not do for beer

Giovannilucano likes this.
  28. He said he had some in stock , you think it would be out of its prime?

29. 500 mile RT to Hill's Farmstead last year. Not something I'd do every week, but definately worth it at least once. - OK, stopped in Burlington overnight too, but Hill's was the main draw.

30. fixed

31. Finally, a thread I can get with!

I just finished up my 13,500 mile trek for some Bud Black Crown, a can of PBR from 1986, an empty bottle of Schlitz, a can of sprite with a some cigarette butts in it, and some SNPA.

Totally worth it, bro

32. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

300 miles to VT yes, elsewhere.... doubt it.

33. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (190) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

200 miles really is not a huge deal. I have done that multiple times for Hardywood Park GBS and their BA GBS. Do it!

34. I will do you a favor and rid you of your 200 mile problem. Go on the trip and enjoy it. Drink every ounce of every beer and appreciate them to the fullest. Then, when those beers are all long gone I will make a trip up to Vermont and send you a 4 pack of Heady Topper. I guarantee, you will never make the 200 mile trip for beer again. Of course, you might be itching to make the 1300 mile trip from Arkansas to Vermont, but that's an entirely different problem for you to deal with.

Seriously, go for it. And if you're interested, next time I am in VT I will ship you a 4 pk of HT. Not sure when it will be though. Could be next week, could be April.

ubenumber2 likes this.
  35. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (520) California Dec 23, 2010

Drove from MA to Tampa (2,700miles round trip) for Hunahpu's Day last year, flying down this year.

36. Just let me know bro, sounds good

37. Roger85

Roger85 Advocate (540) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Thanks everybody- now I know that my 540 mile round trip to Founders for some KBS in March is not that big a deal! Now selling that to the wife- that's another story. Oh well- I'm doing it anyway.

craigo19 and ubenumber2 like this.
  38. I flew 5,800 miles to get some beer once. (France)

39. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (370) Germany Jan 22, 2012

At first I was like this guy must be from ARkansas. Then I looked at your profile. Macadooldles is just over the border in MO On 530 and is a awesome place I have droven to from Little Rock a few times.

Being from Jonesboro are you going to Memphis or St Louis?

40. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (370) Germany Jan 22, 2012

Halftimebeverage.com my friend. I have been through Jonesboro once, I feel your pain. Being from Cabot I don't have it that bad..

I used to order from marina market from time to time but they realized they can't ship here. Bummer cause they had some good west coast stuff.