1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I never thought I would make a 200 mile round trip for beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ubenumber2, Feb 12, 2013.

1. DStoked

DStoked Savant (330) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

I'm travelling over 8000 miles round trip in May for beer. Cleveland --> Brussels --> Westvleteren

Lantern and Goat_Warrior like this.
  2. Just over the border from me is a place called Mr T's , its about 35 miles from here. Springfield is 4.5 hours away.

3. The bottle date is 11/29, definitely isn't going to taste like it should, however im pretty sure this was one of the last batches of the season. AIPA that is out now though is great also, just doesn't have the galaxy hops.

4. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (410) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

Make sure the Hop Stoopid is fresh. And I'd skip Cappucino Stout and Golden Monkey, but that's just me.

5. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (945) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Hmmm... How much is your time worth ($$) x cost of gas ($$) = is it cheaper to purchase online and have shipped to you? You could find even better beer online or is AR a state that doesn't allow alcohol to be shipped?

6. done a 2700 mile road trip (not counting the flight)
    Los Angeles > Wisconsin, then drove through the midwest, Canada, Quebec, and the northeast through to Boston to hit every major brewery on the way. Well worth it!

Lantern likes this.
  7. The wife booked a weekend in early April at some Godforsaken place on the shore of Lake Superior up on the Keweenaw. Mainly to hang out and drink beer on opening weekend. 1100 mile round trip, and I will never leave Michigan.

8. godlessape

godlessape Savant (300) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

Sounds like a great trip for a most noble cause.

9. king75

king75 Savant (410) Michigan Jul 27, 2010

It is worth if the beers you are getting are something you have never had before or if in your case it is for beer that you have no way of getting. I am driving down to Tampa ,a 2,400 mile round trip in a few days. My wife thinks it is for her last spring break before she graduates which is true. BUT for me the biggest reason is to visit sweetwater brewery and cigar city brewing. I already have two in person trades planned for along the way and I can't wait to get in the car and start driving

luwak likes this.
  10. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (270) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

Go for it, 200 isn't that far in all reality. I have drove from Monroe, MI (just north of Toledo, OH) to Erie, PA (3.5 hours) for Yuengling. I have also drove out to Grand Rapids (2.5 hours) just for beer a few times. Our next trip is to Three Floyds Easter Weekend after we get our KBS at Founders. What does the wife get out of all these travels? Wine and gambling, plus she enjoys the craft beer culture and good food.

11. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Do it. The trip alone will be an experience. On your death bed you can say i wasted gas and time to get beer that tasted good cause goddammitt i was alive!

I'll think of you when i fly to Alaska from Arizona later this year just to go to Midnight Sun Brewing
    And belive me i WISH i COULD make that a drive instead of a flight...

12. Ok 3 cases of mixed 6 packs and 8 22oz bombers , going to have fun this weekend

[​IMG]

ChanChan likes this.
  13. abkayak

abkayak Savant (335) New York Jan 8, 2013

aaahh... got any room on the next run?

14. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

Haha, I've seen these at truck-stops!!

15. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

That Lagunitas sucks alone is worth the trip!!!

ubenumber2 likes this.
  16. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

If this is the only way you are able to get those beers then I say go for it. More than likely, making the trip will be a fun experience in itself. Personally, I would not drive as far as the Binny's 3 miles away from me for anything by Lagunitas. Lagunitas is only OK to me, but far from impressive. Of all their brews that I have had, Sucks and Hopstoopid were probably the best and that's not saying much.