1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I Stopped Drinking (Beer/Brewery) Once I Discovered (Beer/Brewery)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteveB24, Aug 28, 2014.

1. SteveB24

SteveB24 Advocate (605) New York Aug 29, 2013

A good buddy of mine who is relatively inexperienced with craft beer is coming in from out of town, whenever he comes i try to bring him something i think will impress him (in terms of taste not cost), this is something i try to do for many of my friends, i knew right away i was going to pick up BP Sculpin, which has been by far my go to pick for such situations for awhile now, on my way to the register i passed by a display of Lil sumpin sumpin and realized that 6 months ago that is without question what i would have picked.

Is there either a specific beer or brewery that was once either a general go to, or else filled a particular void, or maybe was reserved for special occasions, Football watching, sharing with newsbs, etc, and one day you realized that there used to be something that was an obvious choice for the scenarios listed above or others that you can easily say has been replaced by a specific alternative?

AdmiralOzone and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  2. hopnado

hopnado Savant (290) Michigan Aug 13, 2014

Longest question EVER!!!

3. SUBER

SUBER Aficionado (230) California Jan 26, 2013

Regular sculpin to grapefruit sculpin..I'll never go back.

SteveB24 likes this.
  4. I actually find this to be an interesting question. The first thing that came to mind for me was Franziskaner. I didn't really know that Franziskaner was my "go to" hefe, but over time I would go back to it again and again, eventually realizing that it's probably my favorite. But more to the specific point of the question, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale used to be a given for me but over time other breweries put just a little more malt and a little more hops into theirs and I found myself drinking less SNPA. Sorry Sierra Nevada, but I still love Bigfoot!!!

Dayman766, AdmiralOzone and SteveB24 like this.
  5. Budweiser once I discovered everything else.

6. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (475) Texas Aug 31, 2011

It's rare that a beer completely supplants a "regular" for me. Usually it just makes it into the rotation and I reduce consumption on the other one(s). I guess Chimay Blue was my BSDA/quad fix for a short period before I discovered Abt 12, but that's about it.

AdmiralOzone and JrGtr like this.
  7. beesy

beesy Savant (380) Ohio Jul 21, 2010

I stopped drinking:Two Hearted
    Once I discovered:BODHI

I stopped drinking: Go To
    Once I discovered: Sunshine Daydream

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
    thatoneguymike and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  8. To answer the Question: I used to pound 211 like crazy, until I found the Belgian Strong Dark Ales. My Liver is still sending me Hate Mail.

reaganrvltn and AdmiralOzone like this.
  9. SteveB24

I dream of the day I see It NY

10. rollom

rollom Advocate (570) New York Jan 22, 2011

There was this one time that I used to buy a certain beer that was good for special occasions, craft recruitments, sport, and I really liked it and it was a solid beer and people I gave it to liked it but I woke up one day and realized that I didn't buy it any more and I thought about why but there was no good reason as both the beer in question and the beer I now buy are both really good but I suppose the new beer is better as I did do a blind taste test once and the new beer was my favourite but the old beer is still really good the old beer I'm referring to is Pliny and the new is Heady. Of course.

cavedave likes this.
  11. I don't remain any one place for too long. I'm a drifter, man.

12. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I Stopped Drinking Magic Hat Once I Discovered Stone Ruination

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  13. I stopped drinking 99% of the "IPAs" available in QC once I discovered DDC Moralité.

VelvetExtract and rogerdandy like this.
  14. I stopped dreaming of hoppy IPAs(although I still enjoy them) and now fantasize about amazing Sours.

15. HighWine

HighWine Savant (385) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

I stopped going to 3 Floyd's brewpub during my monthly trip to Indiana once I discovered Bare Hands Brewing.

peteboiler likes this.
  16. Coors Light / Good Beer

MikeHickerson likes this.
  17. mj81

mj81 Advocate (555) New Jersey Sep 11, 2013

I stopped drinking guinness once I discovered imperial stouts. Now it's a steady rotation of founders/ten fidy/stone/old raspy. We won't even get into the likes of coffee and bba but even wife who barely drinks can taste the vast difference in flavors.

IPA/DIPS usually pretty seasonal so just drink whatever is freshest and will rotate between double jack/dirt wolf/little sumpin extra/sucks/sculpin/ect...

tlema1 and SteveB24 like this.
  18. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Well since my Total wine has decided that they only carry what sells the most I guess so. plus all this seasonal beer, etc.
    I never had a go to brewery. nothing local is all that great. regional is ccb, we get mostly the ipa stuff so that is out.
    what was the question?
    Just went yesterday and just bought stuff for me, Belgians and German beer. about the only goto thing I do is go to the store and buy what they have that I want. I figured I buy the Orval out and I did. I bought the dupont out also. not that they had that many, lol

19. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

I used to drink Dos XX by the gallon in the mid-90s until I stumbled upon Goose Island's India Pale Ale.

20. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

Sort of related - I've pretty much stopped buying all of the expensive local IPA bombers (ie 3 Floyds, Pipeworks, Spiteful, etc) - now I just stick to 6 packs of Anti-Hero and 4 packs of Daisy Cutter. They never let me down, they're always fresh, and my wallet is happier.

21. I stopped drinking Yuengling Lager when I found SABL.

TongoRad likes this.
  22. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Savant (295) New York Jan 16, 2013

I stopped drinking Blue Point Hoptical Illusion once I was able to get 20 other better, fresher IPAs from my local distributor.

23. NCMonte

NCMonte Savant (265) North Carolina Jan 28, 2014

For me, I would have to modify your question a bit, It isn't that I go from xxx brewery to yyy brewery, not looking back. It is more like, I don't like brewery xxx, but then I taste something that I can't find in any of my favorite breweries, so now I have to put brewery xxx BACK into my brewery stop line up.... #@%$.

24. SN Torpedo once I discovered Odell IPA. It's still a great beer but we get Odell fresh nearly every week/every other, so that's my main man!

BigRedDog, PalatePilot and SteveB24 like this.
  25. Jai Alai to White Oak Jai Alai.

26. SteveB24

Just got super fresh odell Ipa from a trade, its amazing

27. SteveB24

I wish

28. I stopped drinking Bass Ale, Heineken, Becks', PBR, etc., once I discovered Dead Guy.

AdmiralOzone and tlema1 like this.
  29. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (680) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

I used to drink tons of GI 312 until I discovered Gumballhead

30. St. Pauli Girl, Pilsner Urquell > Scrimshaw, Torch

31. nickcunningham

nickcunningham Initiate (15) Ohio Aug 28, 2014

I stopped drinking natty light when i discovered busch light

32. I stopped drinking Sam Adams once I discovered Sierra Nevada. Well, I still drink some SA, around Boston it's almost impossible to avoid it entirely. I don't dislike it, I just prefer Sierra Nevada.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  33. JayORear

JayORear Advocate (540) California Feb 22, 2012

I stopped drinking all other "session beers" when I discovered Fortunate Islands.

34. I loved blue moon before I was a "beer" drinker but then I discovered Clown Shoes Clementine and a whole new world of craft brewing opened up for me.

35. 77apm

77apm Savant (440) Illinois Nov 10, 2013

Three Floyds was the go to all the time until I discovered Toppling Goliath last year, don't even remember what zombie dust tastes like anymore. 500 mile round trips at least once a month, sometimes more, and a credit card that's used solely for purchases. Is it wrong, tastebuds say no!! Thank you @tgchief and @TgBC for the brews, you have my full support and keep up the outstanding work! Always get excited for every trip!! Newest batch of Sosus was just insanely good!

Hopgoddess312 likes this.
  36. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Stopped drinking guiness when I discovered left hand milk stout. Stopped drinking left hand milk stout when I discovered ska brewing steel toe stout.
    Stopped drinking odell myrcenary when I discovered Oskar Blues deviant dale's.
    Stopped drinking every plain ass imperial stout (read old Rasputin and narwhal) when I discovered ten fidy.
    Man, I could do this all day...

37. I stopped drinking MILK when I discovered BEER.

38. You're so right and I need to do the same but all the mentioned breweries are on quite a roll, especially Only Child. I almost feel guilty though after a purchase but I do find they fit my drinking style better, two or three bombers once a week.

On topic, I kind of stopped drinking beer from other parts of the country when Chicago has so many fantastic choices, living across the street from Wrigley Field puts me next to most and I love to support local businesses.

cnbrown313 likes this.
  39. Natty Light when I discovered Natty Boh.

ArkansasTraveller likes this.
  40. I stopped drinking other "sports bar" beers when I discovered Yuengling. My micro brews change all of the time.