1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

I think I might be a beer hoarder

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brewsky29, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Brewsky29

Brewsky29 Savant (250) Pennsylvania Oct 29, 2011

when I find that I just keep buying more and more beer faster than I can drink it. I am not complaining or nothing just wanted to know that I'm not alone. I have filled the beer fridge and now starting to take over the main fridge. Thought this could be interesting topic not sure if this has come up before, probably has but oh well.

2. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

You're not alone, slow down now or you'll end up like me. Way too much beer around and I told myself last night I'd try to go to New Years w/out buying more. Hit the liquor store on the way home and they had DDBA, Collage and a few other things on sale. There went another $75.

3. Just buy another fridge.

You are not a hoarder,just an average BA.

4. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (440) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

I am not a hoarder, but I was recently contacted by a TV network that wants to do a show based on my beer buying habits. JK

5. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I first realized I had a problem a couple of months ago.

Kyrojack likes this.
  6. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (680) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

I think we can all agree that "collector" is much friendlier word ;)

7. Brewsky29

true!!

beermeright likes this.
  8. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

I had a shelf in the fridge. Now I have sixers lining the walls. Uhoh.

AlaskanYoung and Torieos like this.
  9. you're not alone, there's a lot of people on BA who are hoarders.

Stop being a hoarder and start being a beer drinker. Don't worry, they will brew more.

10. I have a feeling I'm getting there. I mean, I don't have a vast collection building up, but I buy beer and tell myself I'm gunna drink all of it soon, and then it sits there and I buy more.

CoverMePorkins likes this.
  11. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

A friend submitted my beer buying/storing habits to the Hoarders tv show. You are not alone.

AlaskanYoung likes this.
  12. robbrandes

robbrandes Aficionado (245) Oregon Nov 30, 2010

i dug out a cellaring area under our house, figured it'd tide me over for several years. 9 months later it was stuffed to the gills. i prefer to think of it as 'staging' for eventual drinking...

cnbrown313 and 2beerdogs like this.
  13. st9647v3

st9647v3 Advocate (665) New Jersey Dec 28, 2011

I like this thread...

Without geting into details, I admit to being a hoarder.

Viva Beer!!!

14. I just to drink everything I bought within two days. That has changed and now I guess I hoard a little. Better to be a hoarder than a drunk

15. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (740) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

Just keep buying fridges. You are now a fridge hoarder. Now you are just buying beer to stock the fridges. Beer hoarding solved!

16. Brewsky29

and I cant finish the floaters in there not that they are bad but there are other beers I drink first. Come on now I have a Dreamweaver from last summer 11. That is probably awful but I cant throw it. Maybe I should drink more and type less, and cleanup the drifters.

17. Brewsky29

ok that Dreamweaver is bad I lied!

18. ejeffer11

ejeffer11 Savant (285) New York Feb 15, 2008

new years resolution - drink down your stash - i made an effort to do this over the past year and have been somewhat successful. the fact that you are an active member of this site means you will not stop buying, but maybe you can make an effort to visit the beer store less frequently (easier said then done I know).

19. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Savant (490) Illinois Sep 1, 2008

Things could be worse. You could be an alcoholic.

20. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,010) Michigan May 5, 2010

I probably have $3000 sitting in my walk in closet right now, in wine cases. I am trying to deplete it at 2 beers per day(usually 1 12, 1 22/750) but it keeps growing.

buckyp, yeti123 and bifrost17 like this.
  21. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

You're not a real hoarder until you're sleeping on beer cases because there's no room anywhere else, lol;)

22. I'm too new to all of this to be a hoarder. I can barely wait to get home and try something new that I bought. I kind of hope that doesn't change.

outsider, WebGuyMike and JxExM like this.
  23. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (565) Florida Aug 11, 2012

It's really bad if you think/your're certain that you're prepared for the zombie apocalypse. If so, don't stop at your local bottle tommorow as you probably have enough.

24. Sounds like hoarding. Are there dead cats under your beer?

25. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

I dig 4 packs for just this reason. I have a ton of 6pk floaters and I can't stop hitting the store to try new beers (or new to me) and seasonal releases. Another issue is trying to keep up on the IPA's, since they're not going to age well. My wife got me in an IPA mailing club, but I keep forgetting they're on their way and keep buying.
    On the flip side, I've got a great selection in the basement fridge.

Brewsky29 likes this.
  26. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (620) Florida May 25, 2012

I hoard but only because I love stouts and like to try them several times as they develop.

27. I think i'm a hoarder, i have about 8 cs of beer in my house, and i would say 90% of them all are all different. i have a fridge full, my veggies tray are full in my other fridge, i have some in the garage, some in a drysink. My problem is the seasonal, the store where i go to, just gets a ton of seasonals in and i buy mix sixes and bombers and till i know it it is all over the place. But on the other hand i like to call my self a "collector" it sounds better.

28. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Ask my wife and she will say I hoard. I just say it looks like a lot because our basement isn't finished yet so I don't have a proper cellar. However my suggestion would be to have more BA friends over for tastings. I am having one this month and next month too. I mean that's the whole point to collect/cellar isn't it, to enjoy these fabulous brews with great friends?

mcrago likes this.
  29. Cheeto314

Cheeto314 Aspirant (45) Colorado Sep 18, 2012

I had a few boxes, it was cute. Then I had a few more boxes, was less cute. Then we bought a fridge just to house bombers. That was cute. Then we bought rack for aging beers and lesser weight ones and that was cute. Then we still had boxes, fridges (not to mention the upstairs one), then built a second rack...all in the last 12 months. As soon as my next few shipments come in...I'm looking at close to 350 beers in the cellar with an average abv of close to 12. On top of that I go, "hey, wife, there's this Westveteren 12 brick available..." and she goes, "ok, when and where do I need to be?" She'd a keeper :) (but yeah, I'm doing some serious hoarding here...)

30. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I do the same, buy beer I think is interesting and store it. I have recently started to think about how much the bomber cost me before I just randomly drink it. Turns out it costs a lot at times! I'm trying to cut back the spending as well, and if I do spend on beers I need I make sure I can age it. My plan is to start hosting some beer tasting parties for my hardcore friends.

31. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (365) Texas Oct 17, 2012

Denial.

cyrushire likes this.
  32. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Hoarding =/= overzealous overbuying, IMO. I buy more than I can drink, but I generally don't hold onto things just because they look pretty.

33. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

I blame it on my dog. He's always hitting me up for beers. Right now he's scamming my Anchor Christmas ale.

At least he's not telling me to kill anymore.

34. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

I definitely have a problem. I spend a grip on a haul, feel bad about it, and tell myself that's it for a month. The next day i'm buying something else...

I'm in the process of putting myself thru hoarders rehab by drinking as much as i can on a daily basis, and becoming an alcoholic. ;)

Cheeto314 likes this.
  35. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

You know you're a hoarder if: your girlfriend/significant other is telling you "gawd, you need to drink more!"

I go through a week where I don't drink anything, yet I'm still finding stuff around. I have a mini fridge that's got my valuables (beers over $15 apiece and vintage cellarables at 55F), 2 shelves full of bombers that are "to be drunk 'soon'", and half the top shelf of the fridge with "to be drunk... 'sooner'". LOL. I really need to get a full size fridge for everything, but that's not in the cards till we get a house.

Problem is: in Austin, if you don't buy a lot of limited/seasonal beers on the day of or next day after release: they're gone. Right now we're pretty full-up, but after the Christmas season, I keep telling myself that it'll all be gone. Hoarder's denial.

36. I keep every bottle/ can of beer I drink. Also every bottle cap, I am always spending money on beer, it never ends. You are not alone.

outsider likes this.
  37. To me beer hoarding is holding onto something like a 2007 Dark lord and waiting 10 years to drink it. Stuff like that is stupid to me.

38. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I am done buying beer for a while. I at like 500 to 600 beers, while it may not be a lot for some, the room I had for my cellar is overflowing and it's starting to concern me. Also, 75 are ipas that need to be drank soon...

39. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (845) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

You are stockpiling.

beermeright and fujindemon74 like this.
  40. Threads like these make me hate my wife-imposed beer budget a little less.